Need help planning to buy truck and Rv

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
My fiance and I are looking into purchasing a truck and RV full-time soon mostly for health reasons

Maybe mobile for now.She has family in Indiana,Ga,Fl,and we have talked-about visiting places like indiana,georgia,florida,Baja Mexico

Currently we are loom in Phoenix and the air pollution and indoor mold is bothering us.

She just got 80k inheritance [maybe more coming in from estate being sold]and we both received social security disability(ssdi)

She has autoimmune thyroiditis and gets fatigued easily and I have chronic fatigue syndrome and some nuerological challenge[cognitive impairments]

We're looking to live in environments with good air

In certain ways similar as we are both enivoronmenally sensitive

A little over 900 a month in disability is What we both receive

How can we get started looking for a truck and RV?

We choose this because homes can get moldy and with an RV perhaps it can be traded in

I'm grateful for the opportunity despite the challenges

Regards
Davsey

We would like to use fuel effective truck

Thank you guys and gals

Last edited:
The smaller the space the easier it will be to treat the air. The less holes in the roof and forward facing windows the less the chances of having a leak or mold. A vented heater will help keep down condensation. You will need ventilation so explore how to filter it as well. If you have the skills an older well built and well sealed aluminum cargo trailer that has had time to off gas any chemicals that may have been used to build it, built out with materials you can live with might be a good solution. Under 20’ length fully aluminum trailer if you can keep from overloading it should be able to be pulled by a slightly modified 1/2 ton truck and maybe get 15 or so miles per gallon towing. If you don’t have skills maybe a smaller fiberglass trailer like a Casita would work but again if off gassing is a problem a slightly used older one might be best. There was an example of a simple box made from 4 HEPA filters and a box style fan mounted on the top sucking air out mentioned on YouTube the other day that might be of interest to you. Anything larger will most likely require a 3/4 ton truck especially if you full time without simplifying your lifestyle. Your health issues need to be considered and a bare bones metal box van with a hammock or metal cot frame you can improve as you go may work best for you. Recently on YouTube there is a company called Incredible Tiny Homes selling an 8’x16’ or 8’x20’ bare bones trailer in Tennessee called an Incredibox that is less than 5,000 lbs supposedly you might take a look at as it comes basically with a built out bathroom and a large open space made from foam sealed between sheets of metal so no mold or leaks most likely.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Davsey! Used travel trailers, if they have not been maintained properly, often have water damage and issues with mold. Some new travel trailers are poorly constructed and will need to be repaired right off the lot. Due to these problems and the issues you both have with fatigue, I recommend thinking about buying a cargo trailer and doing a simple no-build. You can always add a more permanent build after you've lived in it for a while and know what you like and need. Check out some of Bob Wells' videos: https://www.youtube.com/@CheapRVliving/search?query=cargo trailer

The design of molded fiberglass trailers and Airstream trailers makes them much less susceptible to water leaks so check out them too. Go to a large RV dealership or an RV show and tour as many different types of trailers as possible. Go through the motions of daily living with both of you moving around at the same time, and try out the bed and couch for comfort. Climb in the shower and sit on the toilet to see if you have enough room.

Since it sounds like you have never camped or lived in an RV, set up a living space in your house the same size as the interior of the trailer you want to buy. Cardboard boxes can substitute for cabinets. If possible move some of your furniture into the space, and try spending part of the day in that space.

People often end up over packing. During the day as you use any item consider whether you really need it. Could something else that you are already taking serve a dual purpose? Set things aside as you use them and try to keep the pile as small as possible.

Good luck with your search!

Dunno if this would be helpful or not, but there's a book called Camp Like A Girl, which covers converting a van and camping full time for a person with multiple chemical sensitivities, available on Amazon.

Personally, I'd stay away from commercial RVs. For the same amount of money, you can convert a box truck or a cargo trailer, and wind up with something that is far better. Most commercial RVs are built to be as large as possible for their weight, and the pressure on RV companies to cut corners is immense. If neither you nor your sweetie are able to do this yourselves, do either of you have friends or families that can help?

I'm a single person in a van, and unfortunately I have no knowledgeable opinions on either trucks or travel trailers. Just that whatever you buy, you should pay someone who knows what they are doing to inspect it first. And good luck!

Last edited:
My fiance and I are looking into purchasing a truck and RV full-time soon mostly for health reasons

Maybe mobile for now.She has family in Indiana,Ga,Fl,and we have talked-about visiting places like indiana,georgia,florida,Baja Mexico

She just got 80k inheritance [maybe more coming in from estate being sold]and we both received social security disability(ssdi)

A little over 900 a month in disability is What we both receive

How can we get started looking for a truck and RV?

We choose this because homes can get moldy and with an RV perhaps it can be traded in
My opinion is probably going to be unpopular, but to keep a good conscious, I have to chime in. Your logic is flawed. It’s much easier to regulate exposure to environmental toxins by careful selection (and maintenance) of a stationary site than it is by constantly moving around as a nomad. Immunocompromised people stay put, they don't roam about, constantly exposing their body to new threats.

You have low income. You have limited potential for generating significant income in the future. You're about to come into a relatively large sum of money. It would not be wise to spend it in the manner you've described.

Vehicles are liabilities. They are bought for $xx,xxx and gradually (or sometimes suddenly) decrease to $0. Assets (eg. real estate, stocks, businesses) are bought for $x and generally increase. Invest your inheritance by buying assets- something that increases your income.

I suggest buying real estate, it can serve as a financial safety net, even if not your home. I am not discouraging you from hitting the road if that's what you want. Just do it by spending your income not your inheritance.

In college I managed the apartment building I lived in. A few years later, I became a landlord. That has been my sole occupation for the past 20 years. It allows me to do whatever I want wherever I want with occasional exceptions. You mentioned family in Georgia, Florida and Indiana. I have property in GA, FL, and IL near the IN border, so I’m familiar with their landscapes. There are cities (admittedly harder in FL) where you can buy a house for $80k that you can rent out for $1000 per month. After expenses (ie. property taxes, insurance, maintenance) on a typical year you’ll net $6000. This income can be used to pay the loan on an RV or vehicle. Years ago, I used this method to buy a Piper Cherokee 180.

Most people use their money to buy stuff, there’s no way to ever recoup the money spent because the stuff is worth less than they paid for it. It is better to use your money to buy assets that produce cash and spend that, the initial money spent can be recouped by selling the asset.

Your one time windfall gives you a golden opportunity, don’t squander it. Feel free to reach out to me by PM. I’ll be happy to talk to you or even meet in person. I’m in FL right now, will be in GA next month and IL in May.

Considering that you're experiencing mold that bothers you in phoenix where the humidity is currently only 8%, you will have this issue no matter where you are.
Renting a newer van/rv and going to many areas that you've researched as being suitible, could be a good way to help decide on a place, without investing in a move (or a rv/van) purchase that you later regret as not being suitable.

"If there are no cold-condensing surfaces and the relative humidity (RH) is maintained below 60 percent indoors, there will not be enough water in those materials for mold to grow. However, if the RH stays above 70 percent indoors for extended periods of time, mold will almost certainly grow."

8% humidity where you are now is VERY low, so the issue is probably a building issue (leaking pipe, long showers/baths etc).
A van/rv could be a good way to control that issue, and so could building an allergy free house.

My opinion is probably going to be unpopular, but to keep a good conscious, I have to chime in. Your logic is flawed. It’s much easier to regulate exposure to environmental toxins by careful selection (and maintenance) of a stationary site than it is by constantly moving around as a nomad. Immunocompromised people stay put, they don't roam about, constantly exposing their body to new threats.

You have low income. You have limited potential for generating significant income in the future. You're about to come into a relatively large sum of money. It would not be wise to spend it in the manner you've described.

Vehicles are liabilities. They are bought for $xx,xxx and gradually (or sometimes suddenly) decrease to $0. Assets (eg. real estate, stocks, businesses) are bought for $x and generally increase. Invest your inheritance by buying assets- something that increases your income.

I suggest buying real estate, it can serve as a financial safety net, even if not your home. I am not discouraging you from hitting the road if that's what you want. Just do it by spending your income not your inheritance.

In college I managed the apartment building I lived in. A few years later, I became a landlord. That has been my sole occupation for the past 20 years. It allows me to do whatever I want wherever I want with occasional exceptions. You mentioned family in Georgia, Florida and Indiana. I have property in GA, FL, and IL near the IN border, so I’m familiar with their landscapes. There are cities (admittedly harder in FL) where you can buy a house for $80k that you can rent out for $1000 per month. After expenses (ie. property taxes, insurance, maintenance) on a typical year you’ll net $6000. This income can be used to pay the loan on an RV or vehicle. Years ago, I used this method to buy a Piper Cherokee 180.

Most people use their money to buy stuff, there’s no way to ever recoup the money spent because the stuff is worth less than they paid for it. It is better to use your money to buy assets that produce cash and spend that, the initial money spent can be recouped by selling the asset.

Your one time windfall gives you a golden opportunity, don’t squander it. Feel free to reach out to me by PM. I’ll be happy to talk to you or even meet in person. I’m in FL right now, will be in GA next month and IL in May.

I like the way you think, wish I had a teacher like that when I was younger.