Need help on gold prospecting equipment electrical

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarEcho

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the proper place to post this, but here goes:

DH and I got a blue bowl and sidewinder sluice.  The sluice we have used in the stream and river no problem.  If we want to use it on a recirculating system either out in the field or in the s&b, we needed a bilge pump which we got( 2000gph and 10A at 12V).  It has bare ends for the wires so I need to wire something up.

The blue bowl system we got came with the pump (750gph and 3A at 12V).  It came with battery clamps.  Ok so far so good.

I've been playing with the blue bowl at the s&b with it attached to a little battery I bought but it doesn't last all that long (to me that is) maybe 6 hours or so before it starts to slow down.  I want to use it with the 110v at the house so my thinking is to get a 3A converter plug, something like one might use for a 12 led light system.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DOJXG04?psc=1

1)  Am I right in thinking that would work?  

I'm also thinking that a dimmer/on/off switch would be nice and 

2)  wondering if I'm right in thinking that the dimmer could be used to control the flow of water?  Instead of using the petcock?  I was initially looking for an inline on/off switch and saw the dimmer and the metaphorical light bulb went off over my head.  I hate using that petcock.  It's always in an awkward location for me to reach and it's hard for me to make small changes with it.  I wanted the on/off switch because I hate taking those stupid battery clamps on and off.  If I'm not perfectly careful it sparks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018ZIQ0DY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1BF9RC9BHQGJ0

So I got to thinking that since both of those use the 2.1mm connector, maybe I could just use that connector for the rest of any connections in the system?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ER6QWAY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A26VCHUIBE4PN9

3 )  Is there anything wrong with using those types of connectors?

Ah and one last question.  I plan to get a 10A converter to use with the 10A pump and

4) I was wondering if I could use that converter for the 3A pump too, so maybe just get that converter and not the 3A one?  Is the way it works that this power supply would work for any 12volt item that needs *UP TO* 10Amps?  I doubt we'd be using them both at the same time, so this might save a few dollars.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0131MA01C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AKAR9VKYU7GKJ

I'm a beginner in the electrical stuff, but not afraid to try anymore.
Thanks for any info.

I will try to help.
1. that convertor you listed is 24 volt. it will burn the pump up. what I would do is to get a small battery charger in the 10a range. then still use the battery with the charger connected. that way you have a way to charge your battery. what I do is I have a small battery box that has 2 12ah batteries I run my blue bowl and spiral wheel off of that. I usually run in the afternoon and the next morning I hook the battery box up to a 50w solar panel, it charges the batteries during the day and i's ready to go in the afternoon.
2. yes you could use a dimmer switch to control the motor speed. Sternwake will have more experience in this than me. as far as controlling the water flow for the blue bowl. I moved the valve. I installed another hose so now I have 2 hoses and I put the valve at the hose junction. that way it gets the hose away from the bowl and makes adjustment easy. you also get a better flow that way. an old prospector showed me that trick.
3. I use SAE connectors to plug everything in they are cheap and easy to find at most auto part stores they work fine for low amp draw devices. https://www.amazon.com/CES-Gauge-Qu...=1474232717&sr=8-1&keywords=12+volt+connector .
4. yes if you get a 12 volt 10a convertor you can use it for your 3a draw.
I did a thread awhile back on my battery box if you want I can find it. any more questions or clarifications I would be happy to answer. if you go to RTR I will have my equipment on display and would be happy to share working it with you. if Bob wants we can have a prospecting seminar again this year. highdesertranger

akrvbob said:
Let's plan on another prospecting seminar for sure!!
Bob

Yup, and maybe I can make it this time... :dodgy:

Thanks HDR, that helped a lot.  I did think about connecting my charger while using it.  But when I tried it, the battery must have been too low and it shut the charger off.  So I didn't think about the WHY, I just figured it wouldn't work.  So now that the battery is fully charged, I hooked it up and works like a charm.  Color me stupid! 

1) Unfortunately, it's only a 6A charger, so won't work for the larger pump will it?  If I did use it would it just prolong the battery usage before it got too low, right?

I have quite a few SAE connectors, but I was thinking that the other converters used the 2.1mm connector, so I thought it might be easier to keep it all the same.  

2)  So the question is: is there any reason why they would be bad to use?  In any case, I don't think I'll get the converters after all now so that's probably a moot point.

3)  Re the dimmer switch, I was wondering if controlling the motor speed wouldn't achieve the same result of controlling the water flow?  Lower speed, slower flow?  So I could open the petcock wide and then use the dimmer to speed up and slow the water flow.  

It's probably not how it works, but I thought I'd ask.  If it doesn't work like that then I can just do as you suggest with moving the petcock.  Another duh moment!  Seems I'm always looking for the hard or more involved way to do something!   :rolleyes: LOL

Re the 3A converter I linked to, that was a mistake but I'm glad you pointed it out.  The one that I had originally in my cart was the 12V one, but I deleted it when I thought the 10A one would do and then did a quick search for this post and totally didn't see the 24V!  Yikes that would surely mess with my day if I had gotten that one!

Star Echo,
1. you are spot on the 6a charger, it will prolong the battery usage. but sooner or later you will still run out of juice.
2. those connectors will work fine. the reason I like the SAE connectors is you can find them at any backwoods auto parts store and even some general stores.
3. the dimmer switch will work if you can control the pump output. I prefer a mechanical valve to restrict water flow not much to go wrong with a mechanical valve. highdesertranger

The 2.1x5.5 barrel connectors are good for about 3A maximum. The similar looking 2.5x5.5 ones are good for about 5A maximum. I wouldn't want to push either at that maximum for long periods of time. Anderson connectors are what I prefer, the 15A, 30A, and 45A versions fit together. (Select based on wire size.)

Be careful with the sluice, they are illegal on most State and Federal land.

Alcatraz I don't know where you got that info but it is totally wrong. a sluice box is LEGAL almost everywhere. in fact I don't know where they are illegal. got a link. highdesertranger

Alcatraz said:
Be careful with the sluice,  they are illegal on most State and Federal land.

I think you may be thinking of a dredge. 
A sluice is legal everywhere if I'm not mistaken.