Need better mirrors

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking at your truck you have 3 mirrors. the inside cab mirror is for looking at what is behind your truck. side mirrors are for looking at the side lanes. if you can see your truck in either side mirrors you may not have them adjusted correctly. as they are for seeing vehicles to the side of you. it takes some time getting used to setting them more outward to the other lanes. that is just my opinion. try watching some videos on adjusting mirrors on a car, that may help with the blind spots you are concerned about. but little convex mirrors also help. I have been driving for such a long time (years) and many miles and slowly my adjustments were off on how to set them. and posts like yours reminds me to reset them every once in a wile. so thanks for the reminder. and always recheck them after washing the rig. which i sometimes forget to do.

I would disagree with this, the center mirror for many of us is either completely unusable or only partially usable depending on if you even have back windows, or have curtains, a shell or camper, a load of junk, or in my case, theres usually a dog in the mirror, either standing looking forward or on her bed in the back. I could remove the center mirror and it wouldnt affect much in a practical way. I put little or no reliance on the center mirror. Its nice if/when it works but not necessary.

Setting the side mirrors so you can just barely see the edge of the vehicle is how I usually do it, it gives me a reference that they are still set OK, ive tried setting them to they are entirely outboard, but if they get moved and I dont have that reference, I can make bad decisions on lane availability, its more dangerous than the small difference in side lane view. The domed spots take care of that, and one should still turn and look when possible at least on the left side where you can see out the drivers window, but fast decisions in traffic dont always give that opportunity, nor does my messed up back and neck.

...and what is this "washing" thing being spoken of? :)

I almost hit someone the other day. That same day my daughter joked about my "baby mirrors". Never realized they are kinda small. What mirrors should I be using? I'm not towing anything, yet I couldn't see that little car even while she was honking. I prefer to use the same holes in the door, if possible.
I drove a 10-wheeler dump truck for several years and can tell you that mirrors are never big enough to see everything. I had 8 mirrors on the Mack I drove, but two of those were way out front so that I could see the entire width of the front bumper. The other 6 were the two large West Coast mirrors (the large vertical ones), 3 6-inch convex mirrors and one 8-inch convex mirror. I do not recommend the small 2 or 3 inch mirrors that stick to your regular mirrors as they are much too small to be of any actual use. I'd suggest getting a pair of 6" convex truck mirrors with brackets that clamp to the arms of your current mirrors. Like these on Amazon, but you should be able to get something similar at an auto parts store. https://www.amazon.com/Grote-28033-...ruck+mirrors+universal&qid=1646930722&sr=8-21

I also agree that the inside mirror is useless in a truck most of the time. Once that topper is on I think you'll find that you can't really use the inside mirror for anything.

I drove a 10-wheeler dump truck for several years and can tell you that mirrors are never big enough to see everything. I had 8 mirrors on the Mack I drove, but two of those were way out front so that I could see the entire width of the front bumper. The other 6 were the two large West Coast mirrors (the large vertical ones), 3 6-inch convex mirrors and one 8-inch convex mirror. I do not recommend the small 2 or 3 inch mirrors that stick to your regular mirrors as they are much too small to be of any actual use. I'd suggest getting a pair of 6" convex truck mirrors with brackets that clamp to the arms of your current mirrors. Like these on Amazon, but you should be able to get something similar at an auto parts store. https://www.amazon.com/Grote-28033-...ruck+mirrors+universal&qid=1646930722&sr=8-21
I added it to my cart. Doug recommended a 6", too. I can't see much out of the tiny domed one on the passenger side. I just had my daughter pull the mirror in a bit so I could see my truck on the passenger side, lol.

How far one is from a small domed mirror has a lot to do with how well you can see something in it Yes, larger is better, but you also run into the thing about blocking more of your vision behind the mirror, I almost ran over a pedestrian that my mirror blocked at a crosswalk.

If one truly needs more mirror, by all means get them, however, I can tell when a car is in my blind spot next to me on the left with a 2" spot mirror, until I can see it in the regular mirror. Same with the right, it needs to be larger because its farther away, but I can see a vehicle in that blind spot until it appears in the side window or regular mirror also. Maybe that doesnt work for everyone. I chose mine after trying various ones, they worked for me and didnt block much of my regular mirror. The regular 4Runner and Suburban mirrors are still enough to see to back trailers up and things like that, including around corners to a degree.

Yes, large trucks can use more mirror, but I wouldnt want the obstructed view for driving around town and regular stuff like that unless truly needed.

As for useless inside mirrors, there are backup cameras that can be set to stay on while driving, thus becoming an electronic rear view mirror.

That size, and mounted closer to the door are what Ive had on my Suburbans and some trucks, some had larger mirrors, but not all. Ive towed a lot with all of them, no issues. One point about larger mirrors, it makes a blind spot. I ALWAYS put the small domed spot mirrors on the regular mirrors, it helps reduce the blind spots. I put them on the lower inside corner, I think a 2" on the left and a 3" on the right. Thats the least useful part of most mirrors, yet with the domed spots still gives a much wider view for changing lanes, somebody coming up alongside you and such
I used to add those little mirrors on my big mirrors too until I found out that if one adjusts their mirrors correctly there IS NOT a blind spot. Learn something every day I told myself. Norm

You might be able to get something like these to fit your brackets:

https://www.google.com/search?q=6+x...YSkgEFMi04LjGYAQCgAQHIAQTAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz
Try to find a truck locally to get a look at how those are mounted.
So I have been wanting a better outside, side MIRROR setup on my 2017 GMC Savana cargo van. There is NOTHING more frustrating than not being able to see everything to the right when lane changing. I have no idea where to start. Any ideas? Which ones are good? Who would put them on? Has anyone bought the one that attaches to your original mirror? I am so glad this thread was started. This is such an important issue right?

I used to add those little mirrors on my big mirrors too until I found out that if one adjusts their mirrors correctly there IS NOT a blind spot. Learn something every day I told myself. Norm
Thanks Norm. Now I don't even want to switch lanes...ever:) Seriously, I will try that, because I've had one too many near misses in my nearly 50 years on the road.

Ive tried that as mentioned above, I wasnt satisfied for my use, besides not having instant feedback as to if they are in correct adjustment. The spots work well for me, and I can easily use my mirrors for backing up, which I normally do, not backing out, as most do, I usually back in the driveway and garage if available, and around corners and other vehicles, being able to easily see out of both mirrors exactly where im at without bobbing back and forth is what works for me. The center mirror is not consistently available, and of course doesnt work with a trailer, so the side mirrors take care of the straight back view. Use whatever works for you. :)