Need better mirrors

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carla618

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I almost hit someone the other day. That same day my daughter joked about my "baby mirrors". Never realized they are kinda small. What mirrors should I be using? I'm not towing anything, yet I couldn't see that little car even while she was honking. I prefer to use the same holes in the door, if possible.

Attachments

• mirror.jpg
    mirror.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 7
That size, and mounted closer to the door are what Ive had on my Suburbans and some trucks, some had larger mirrors, but not all. Ive towed a lot with all of them, no issues. One point about larger mirrors, it makes a blind spot. I ALWAYS put the small domed spot mirrors on the regular mirrors, it helps reduce the blind spots. I put them on the lower inside corner, I think a 2" on the left and a 3" on the right. Thats the least useful part of most mirrors, yet with the domed spots still gives a much wider view for changing lanes, somebody coming up alongside you and such

IMG_1140.jpeg
I added an extra mirror on the left side because with the awning it was hard to look down the side.

That size, and mounted closer to the door are what Ive had on my Suburbans and some trucks, some had larger mirrors, but not all. Ive towed a lot with all of them, no issues. One point about larger mirrors, it makes a blind spot. I ALWAYS put the small domed spot mirrors on the regular mirrors, it helps reduce the blind spots. I put them on the lower inside corner, I think a 2" on the left and a 3" on the right. Thats the least useful part of most mirrors, yet with the domed spots still gives a much wider view for changing lanes, somebody coming up alongside you and such
I did add a small domed mirror to these, but didn't know where to put it! I put it on the lower OUTSIDE corner:(

I'll try to remove them and switch to the lower inside corner. Closest to the truck. Thanks Malamute

I did add a small domed mirror to these, but didn't know where to put it! I put it on the lower OUTSIDE corner:(

I'll try to remove them and switch to the lower inside corner. Closest to the truck. Thanks Malamute

Yes Ma'am, no problem.

I also put them on the outside corner at first, then realized it was a useful part of the mirror for backing trailers and such, the lower inside corner was generally not so useful in most uses

If the mirror heads unbolt, it might be easier to swap heads side to side. Then the blind spot mirrors will be in the correct place. Soak the bolts first. If they don’t want to move; never mind. You don’t want to snap the bolt.

If the mirror heads unbolt, it might be easier to swap heads side to side. Then the blind spot mirrors will be in the correct place. Soak the bolts first. If they don’t want to move; never mind. You don’t want to snap the bolt.
I don't know if they should be swapped anyway, because the little domes are not flat or level. One side is higher than the other. Maybe it will show in a picture. I don't know where the higher side should be once I move it. Guessing further from the truck.

Also, the driver's side mirror flops down constantly. That is the new one I searched high & low for, so it matched the other. What tool do I use to get between the supports? Pliers don't fit well.

Attachments

• mirror1.jpg
    mirror1.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 8
  • mirror2.jpg
    mirror2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 9
I don't know if they should be swapped anyway, because the little domes are not flat or level. One side is higher than the other. Maybe it will show in a picture. I don't know where the higher side should be once I move it. Guessing further from the truck.

Also, the driver's side mirror flops down constantly. That is the new one I searched high & low for, so it matched the other. What tool do I use to get between the supports? Pliers don't fit well.

That would be a job for a socket and extension. if you dont have a set, a basic 3/8" drive socket set from Harbor freight or other discount outlet with sockets, ratchet (the driver) and a couple extensions is capable of most of the small tasks you may need to do. You dont need a bazillion sockets, just the range from about 1/4" up to about 7/8" SAE sizes, and maybe add a 4" or 6" extension. I just looked at Harbor Freight, they had an extensive set for about $6. Its both SAE (American) and metric.

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-14-in-drive-sae-metric-socket-set-40-pc-62843.html

I looked at your picture closer, if the single bolt going up through the mounting bracket doesnt fix it, the 3 screws or bolts going into the mirror body with the ball looking thing in the middle are probably the tension adjustment for the mirror on the ball swivel mount. If you mess with them, Ive found it usually best to back them off a little first, them re-torque them. I cant tell from the picture if they are phillips screws or allen type. You may need to take the single bolt in the bottom out (or just loosen it enough to move it around) to reach the 3 tension screws properly and not damage them trying to tighten them.

I looked at your picture closer, if the single bolt going up through the mounting bracket doesnt fix it, the 3 screws or bolts going into the mirror body with the ball looking thing in the middle are probably the tension adjustment for the mirror on the ball swivel mount. If you mess with them, Ive found it usually best to back them off a little first, them re-torque them. I cant tell from the picture if they are phillips screws or allen type. You may need to take the single bolt in the bottom out (or just loosen it enough to move it around) to reach the 3 tension screws properly and not damage them trying to tighten them.
I didn't see any screws. I'll go look again. Thanks:)

I almost hit someone the other day. That same day my daughter joked about my "baby mirrors". Never realized they are kinda small. What mirrors should I be using? I'm not towing anything, yet I couldn't see that little car even while she was honking. I prefer to use the same holes in the door, if possible.
a)
My nemisis is vehicles painted the color of asphalt... dark grays, dark blues.
My other nemisis is vehicles painted the color of shadows -- charcoal, black.
On our ExpeditionVehicle, we mounted extra 8" (eight inch) convex mirrors -- plural -- to the below-eye-level mirror bracket, plus we mounted two more on a bracket at the top of the door.
Why?
My hobby is walking wrecking-yards (aka 'dismantlers').
In addition to examining wrecks to determine survivability, I look for innovative home-brew concoctions folk added for safety.
I immediately noticed professional drivers of Class 4 and bigger trucks -- local delivery trucks, semi trucks -- add any available help to avoid nincompoops loitering in the 'suicide-zone'.
Big convex mirrors -- plural -- seem popular, so we went that direction, too.
At the RecreateVehicles show at the fairgrounds last weekend, all the rigs, irregardless of size, used the bare minimum of mirror -- singular.
If I was me, I think I would avoid a factory RecreateVehicle... because I get the impression they could care less about anything after the purchase.
Opinion.
b)
My ancient BMW motorcycle has 136,000 miles.
I rode since I was ten, so I am fairly aware of motorcyclists.
A couple years ago, I almost pulled out of a parking-lot, almost T-boned a middle-aged gentleman on a classic restored Honda scrambler putting along at 25mph.
Instead of a traditional warning color of neon lime or florescent orange with a white helmet, he wore a 'letter-jacket' issued to members of the high-school chess club -- brown and green torso, tan sleeves.
Charcoal colored helmet.
Absolutely perfectly camouflaged, invisible against the background.
Riders, you need to stop doing that.

Last edited:
I immediately noticed professional drivers of Class 4 and bigger trucks -- local delivery trucks, semi trucks -- add any available help to avoid nincompoops loitering in the 'suicide-zone'.
Big convex mirrors -- plural -- seem popular, so we went that direction, too.
At the RecreateVehicles show at the fairgrounds last weekend, all the rigs, irregardless of size
Thanks Marge. You're right. I'd feel more comfortable with more mirror of some kind.

looking at your truck you have 3 mirrors. the inside cab mirror is for looking at what is behind your truck. side mirrors are for looking at the side lanes. if you can see your truck in either side mirrors you may not have them adjusted correctly. as they are for seeing vehicles to the side of you. it takes some time getting used to setting them more outward to the other lanes. that is just my opinion. try watching some videos on adjusting mirrors on a car, that may help with the blind spots you are concerned about. but little convex mirrors also help. I have been driving for such a long time (years) and many miles and slowly my adjustments were off on how to set them. and posts like yours reminds me to reset them every once in a wile. so thanks for the reminder. and always recheck them after washing the rig. which i sometimes forget to do.

I have been driving for such a long time (years) and many miles and slowly my adjustments were off on how to set them. and posts like yours reminds me to reset them every once in a wile. so thanks for the reminder. and always recheck them after washing the rig. which i sometimes forget to do.
I think that is what happened. I found a really thorough car wash last week that cleans your vehicle inside and out. You just watch them... like 6 guys. It was recommended by the auto shop I just used to get the salt off the underside.

Anyway, on the way to buy my topper I realized my mirrors were really messed up... from the car wash. I had nobody with me to help me adjust them. I did the best I could and on the way back was when I almost hit that car. Seems my best wasn't good enough.

My granddaughter tried to help me adjust them. I'll check a video. Good point about the car wash! I forgot that was what started the mirror issue.