Nature Lover and friends keep in touch

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the eagle shit and my January Social Security deposit is in the bank. I have some few loose ends to tie up. And I’ve got a problem with the van I need to get checked out before I leave.

my health has been declining. I like to brag about escaping the nursing home, but sometimes I feel like I belong in one again. In the last three years, I spent almost 200 days in the hospital or rehab and the rest of them living in my van. Sometimes just walking is hard. I’m beginning to think that maybe the naysayers are right about me not being able to live this lifestyle, but I’m just not able to even think about living in some apartment in a city somewhere.

I remember, Reading about some of the wagons going west had a sign “California or bust” etc. Sometimes I think I oughta make a sign for the back of mine “bust or Florida”. Notice how I changed the order of the words. i’m not as bold as I was when I started out full-time three years ago, and I don’t have as much confidence in myself or in the vehicle. Maybe I just need to get on the road to gain that confidence back. I think I might feel better about it if I would’ve been able to organize that network of eastern nomads so we could support And encourage one another in someway. I was trying to start that to help others, but maybe the underlying reason is I wanted to help and support for myself.

I have uploaded a picture of a common gallinule, or Moorhen chick from last year in Florida. It sure would be nice to go back and see more of those.

God bless the nomads, keep their spirits, burning, and wheels turning.

Attachments

• 90F2D2D0-6CD5-4CAC-96C6-23A3083D3A19.jpeg
    90F2D2D0-6CD5-4CAC-96C6-23A3083D3A19.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
We are all pulling for you nature lover whether or not you make it to Florida. Hope you do as I really enjoy your photography. Seems to me the National Parks had a program to encourage the arts where they had artists including photographers come for a few weeks to display and show off their work. Volunteers usually get a free full hookup site. You might contact some of the parks Interpretive Departments and offer your skills, you never know what can come of it!

Naturelover. There are small towns that have smaller sized clusters of senior housing. Big cities are not the only option. In a small town you will not be stuck with great masses of humans, buildings or be many miles away from open areas with wildlife. Perhaps even a place in Florida or other coastal state that has an OK climate. Make it a priority to relocate into a place you can tolerate being at.

Maybe you need to find a social services location where there is some type of housing location assistance person. Be your own advocate and get on this while you can, especially if you do manage to get onsite in Florida or some place you might enjoy living in full time.

Last edited:
quote of the day—

“I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous.”

just checking in. Still in PA, mechanics appointment, January 23, and south ASAP after that.

attached a picture of “love bugs“ from Florida. These guys meet for days even flying while attached. If there is such a thing as reincarnation, I’m coming back as one of them.

God bless the nomads, each and everyone

Attachments

• 429B3772-6709-4699-9161-13C21C7FF145.jpeg
    429B3772-6709-4699-9161-13C21C7FF145.jpeg
    409.3 KB · Views: 0
Maki2, yes you are right. But, if you’re that “active”, Tangled up in each other And lost in what you’re doing; falling off the bed is almost like flying. Oh to be young again. Brings to mind that old hymn “precious memories”

I am fortunate to have lots of precious memories. Which reminded me to send birthday greetings halfway around the world to one of my all time favorites that I shared many hours of real up in the air flying time adventures in the Pacific NW in our Cessna 150. It is nice that we still send affectionate greetings to each other 35 years on. The internet makes it easy to span oceans and continents to the small Island in the Mediterranean that he is settled on.

Nature Lover, how is the escape to Florida attempt going?

My escape this week is watching videos. The wind storms keep rocking my “boat”. It woke me up at 2:00 am. Looks like there will be a lull in the wind for a while but another 2:00am wake-up call is very likely going to happen one more time.

Lots of humming birds at this camp. There is a nearby area in the wash with some pretty flowers on a shrub just right for for a hummers beak to reach into. I was in a neighboring campers trailer for lunch today. The hummers kept flying up to her kitchen window. Getting ready to leave I noticed that she had a bright yellow plastic fly swatter hanging on a hook next to the window. That bright yellow color is what was attracting them to the window.

My escape this week is watching videos. The wind storms keep rocking my “boat”. It woke me up at 2:00 am. Looks like there will be a lull in the wind for a while but another 2:00am wake-up call is very likely going to happen one more time.
Naturelover I hope you find the right 'whatever' soon. If you get to a town you like see if there is a senior housing place that will work for you.... We are in the process now of finding one for my folks. They just can't seem to keep going with their RV. They keep forgetting heaters and water and windows closed and ..... Anyway keep looking, it is out there.

Maki2 I love a good wind storm.. If there are no big trees overhead and if I have the right shelter. I love the sound of it, I love the feel of it as it shakes the world around me. My one winter trip I have "planned" is to head to the beach as soon as we hear about a good storm that is hitting the beach. My boss knows and is understanding and may just join us. Not in the van though.... Hubby wants to take the corvette and stay in a hotel with big windows.

I am still in PA, I apologize to You all, for not posting recently. I’m very very down. But the weather here in Pennsylvania the last couple of days has been so nice that I don’t have to go to Florida. But I really want to. There are no manatees in a little pond at my camp. I know I should’ve listened over the years but I’ve been a pig and I have diabetes now another sore on my shin to deal with. It makes me wanna go out and get a bag of double stuffed Oreos. “I was sinking deep in sin“ weeee

No one (other than you) is going to judge you as a failure for not going to Florida for the winter or for feeling blue about not going.

We all have our weaknesses and a desire to be comforted when feeling down. Sometimes food is the quick and instant solution. For some it is exercise, alcohol, bing watching TV, shopping or happy cuddling. Might I suggest you get a big teddy bear? I know full well exactly where your mind was going to wander when I mentioned happy cuddling so I had to spoil it and bring you back to realistic possibilities.

I am still in PA, I apologize to You all, for not posting recently. I’m very very down. But the weather here in Pennsylvania the last couple of days has been so nice that I don’t have to go to Florida. But I really want to. There are no manatees in a little pond at my camp. I know I should’ve listened over the years but I’ve been a pig and I have diabetes now another sore on my shin to deal with. It makes me wanna go out and get a bag of double stuffed Oreos. “I was sinking deep in sin“ weeee
I’m not let down, I’m just happy to hear that you are at least somewhat OK! Knowing you, I am sure you can find beautiful things in PA to photograph. None of us ever listens to all the well-meant advice we get, you are hardly alone.

Enjoy the weather, remember still some winter left, get some good photos!

My current situation reminds me of an old rhyme “here I sit broken hearted, came to poop, but only farted”. Of course, I edited the one word.

I am still a van dweller But as of August 3 I have not been a nomad. The situation grieves me but I hope to rectify it. At this point it’s just too late to go to Florida this year and I’m thankful that the winter has been mild in PA. So here I sit broken hearted. I can’t think of a single good reason to be a van dweller without being a nomad. Well, maybe my location beside the pond, and all these trees would be one good reason for being a van dweller

greetings to all you lucky ones who are on the road. I am praying to join you soon. As spring comes, I’ll be able to go up into the woods of Perry County and the Tuscarora Forest, and still be close enough to keep doctors appointments and save money on gas. I sure do miss the birds of Florida. I haven’t taken a picture since July. That might be my longest dry spell without a photograph in 20 years.?

I shouldn’t say what I’m going to do it because every time I say what I’m going to do it doesn’t happen. I have changed the date for traveling to Florida five times this winter. Either van problems or health problems or money problems have kept me from fulfilling that dream. One good thing that comes from all this is that the gas money I had to go to Florida Canal be put in savings and I can actually start an emergency fund. I guess there is a silver lining behind a storm clouds are.
I shouldn’t say what I’m going to do because every time I say what I’m going to do it doesn’t happen. I have changed the date for traveling to Florida five times this winter. Either van problems or health problems or money problems have kept me from fulfilling that dream. One good thing that comes from all this. Is that the gas money I had to go to Florida Canal be put in savings and I can actually start an emergency fund. I guess there is a silver lining behind a storm clouds..

NatureLover …at least you are not currently stuck in a nursing home. That is big progress.

How we choose to think about things is the difference between feeling stuck or feeling OK about our daily life.

You might not be in Florida but your location is one many people would feel very happy to be in. Of course I myself too would rather be in the Florida warmth looking at beautiful birds than be in your current location 🥶

I am not cold today but there sure has been a lot of blowing dust here in the Southwest this winter season.

I am still a van dweller But as of August 3 I have not been a nomad.
There's not a thing wrong with that! I have two summer places, neither of which I own, but both of which I am welcome to stay at pretty much as long as I want. Good thing I have a van to live in, as neither place has any room in the house for me... The truth is, I am happier camping out in my van than I would be being in a house anyway.