Nature Lover and friends keep in touch

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as equipment my solar panel, controller and house battery, which I think of as being a single integrated piece of power generating equipment as all three are required, is a valuable essential. It makes it possible for me to have light, heat, refrigeration, cooling, communication, entertainment as well as the ability create an income stream. Without that power generating equipment as part of my daily life I would just be “roughing it”.

When I think about what I'd grab in an emergency, I think my wallet with my ID and access to money to replace what is lost. Next is prescriptions. Next is my cat and dog. With those I can replace everything else. I'll have to think more about what is valuable in the how much I use it sense, or how difficult life would be without it sense.

The Kit Foxes are yipping away in the wash near my camp tonight. Unfortunately I do not have any outside lights I can easily turn on to spotlight them. It would be fun to actually see them as well as listen to them.

I am very glad to have them around to keep the mice population under control.

Maki, have you ever messed with a night vision scope? I bought one of the cheap Russian early gen IR (Infra-red) scopes*, it has an illuminator which can be used or not, as conditions warrant, but its very cool to see the goings on of the night critters without alarming them any. Its also pretty amazing to look at the stars with an IR scope. Look at the darkest part of the sky, then look through the scope, and it suddenly looks like its absolutely flooded to the brim with stars.

I used to use one of the old angle head army flashlights with the red lense at night so i could see what the dog was low growling at off in the darkness, the eyes of the coyotes showed up well and didnt alarm them. They were generally curious what we were and why we were sleeping out on their ground.

*Like this https://www.ebay.com/p/69764994

No I have never tried looking through a night vision scope. I typically have my insulated window coverings up in the evenings as the desert is cold at night. But The window in my trailer door has a fleece fabric curtain so I could look out in that direction. At this campsite it does face towards a wash.

Maybe I will check at the “Quartzsite Outpost” on Main Street. They sell guns and knives and such. If anyone in town is going to sell them that store will be the place. One of my favorite stores in town as they also sell webbing by the foot, ropes and cables, bungees, hardware, jewelry tools, electrical bits and pieces and all kinds of other useful items.

Its possible I may be able to make it to the winter camp in a year, if you havent had the opportunity by then you are welcome to try mine. I think mine came from Cabelas in Sidney NE.

Its been fun being able to see at night as well as see the stars in a new way.

Well, I’m one step closer to getting to Florida. I just got my vehicle serviced and inspected. They found that I hadn’t paid my registration in Pennsylvania since it was due in June. Now I got that paid and if I have any money left, I’ll go to Florida. God bless all the nomads and help them keep current with their registration.

Great news Nature Lover! Have a wonderful winter bird watching season.

Heavy frost this morning and some more ice on our pond where I am camped in Lancaster County Pennsylvania. Looks like I’ll be leaving for Florida on January 3 after uncle Joe Biden sends me my Social insecurity. Having some foot and leg problems due to my abuse of my body over the years but we’re hoping the oral antibiotics take care of it and I don’t end up in the hospital again. I think the best prescription is to soak my leg in the Gulf of Mexico. You can still do that north of Sarasota. Red tide is south of Sarasota. I hope my friendly Manatee is waiting for me again.

I am praying for no significant snowfall here before I head south. But that is taking a chance. I am hooked up to electric here with a little ceramic heater that keeps me toasty. Right now all my hours are spent with my leg propped up in my recliner. Another doctors appointment Friday. if I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself. I have a lot of medical issues that aren’t my fault but the diabetes is absolutely my fault, i’m not bragging or complaining just come in face-to-face with what I did. I am addicted to sweets. And I am an emotional eater. I eat when I’m sad and I eat when I’m happy. Only one meal a day and that’s all day long. I have gained some weight recently and I got to get back to where I was when I came home from Florida last year. I did a lot of aqua therapy in the last couple months. I hope to continue that in Florida. I walk a lot more in Florida than I do up here.

i’m a fat man with a big white beard and December is the only month guys like me to get a break. I’ve said this before but I can even get women to sit on my lap. By the way.

question: what is invisible and smells like candy canes?
answer: Santa farts.

God bless all the nomads. Even those of us are repeat the same stuff every other post.

Getting diabetes is not always actually the patients’ fault. Heredity is often a significant factor involved in that situation.

Not sticking to the right diet to control it. Well of course that is mostly the patients fault. But not all patients are in control of what food is made available to them. They do not always have the ability to 1st read a list of ingredients. There are a lot of hidden sugars in foods served in restaurants.

Lots of rain today in PA and there’s supposed to be more rain tomorrow but the low temperature is going to be 44 tonight. That’s comfortable compared to what we’ve had recently.

did anyone watch Bob’s latest video about self-defense? I don’t carry any of those things other than walking sticks, etc. but not primarily for defense. I have Felt uncomfortable with someone coming close only once in my three years full-time in 15 years part time. That time I picked up my can of wasp spray which I have for wasps, (I am totally afraid of stinging critters.). My life would have to be in real danger for me to spray it in somebody’s face as that could be very harmful. and according to some illegal. But if it’s between my being harmed and then being harmed, I’ll use it. Some of those things spray 25 feet or more and a good shot of that in someone’s chest with the fumes coming up is going to stop them. So call me unethical even illegal. I don’t care I have use what is availabl, if I need to. I thank God I have never needed to. In my case I’m not gonna be able to run very fast so I’ve gotta have something to stop them. The most uncomfortable situation I referred to earlier was in a Walmart parking lot with a lot of homeless people.. And the scary person was obviously a drug user, who was high, very high. So you all react to that and remember to camp far away from me. God bless and protect all the nomads, so that none of us have to use anything to defend ourselves.

^^^ not willing to sit on Santa’s lap. But I might sit in a chair, out of doors, 6’ away since I know I can run faster and be well out of reach before he can even get out of his chair.

One of my former boyfriends I met while living in Seattle and stayed in contact with over the years, started looking like Santa when he got older with white hair beard and the jolly fat man look. Being a comedian by trade he was good at emitting and generating lots of jolly laughs. Being an actor in film, Television, as well as part of a long touring, professional, theater group he was certainly capable of playing the role of Santa. Quite likely many of you have even seen him performing in a film.
https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0931641/

Last edited:
No birds aloft in my view right now. Maybe they are all hanging out closer to the town of Quartzsite. None in the brush along the wash. No morning birdsong. Must not be any water source nearby, no tanks for cattle or wildlife and the river is on the other side of a small mountain range.

It was 52° the last time I checked about midnight here in Lancaster County Pennsylvania. We had a dusting of snow but two days of rain. By 7 o’clock tonight it’s supposed to be 8° here. Oh what a joy van life is. Ha ha. I am sort of hoping that one of my friends calls sometime this morning. with a “why don’t you come over to our house for tonight” that would be great but I’ll just stick it out wrapped in blankets if I don’t get that call. I’m all stocked up on food. hey, so I have a couple of good books to listen to.

God bless the nomads keep them warm and safe.

Maybe a church, truck stop or rest area with heated bathrooms. Any place you can find grid power and a cheap small ceramic heater, like a volunteer fire station, truck parking or truck stop. Put a mask on and sit in a hospital. With that cold a temperature you might end up there anyway if you don’t stay warm! Best wishes and prayers!

Tough love time….sorry if I sound a bit like your mommy yelling at you.

Pick up your phone and call one of those friends and ask for shelter. Be proactive, do not wait.

You have a responsibility to your friends and your community to act sensibly and seek better shelter in severe weather conditions. But there is another factor in this situation. Give them the blessing of asking for their help. Having the companionship a friend, such as yourself, during a severe storm in this holiday season might be exactly what they are in need of. God works in mysterious ways to bring people in need of fellowship together.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m taking care of myself and I should be fine. I have people here at the farm. and warmer buildings to go into. Not as comfortable as the van, but warmer. Didn’t mean to get anybody to concerned. I will last to go in someone’s home today.

Woke up this morning with my walker in the pond. I had a tarp over it and had a Tarp Attached to cover it. The tarp acted like a saI’ll and it Was submerged in the pond. I’m attaching a picture of my friend James’s son Literally fishing it out of the pond.

Attachments

• E9BCD2CC-3290-47E2-B758-6909417C0A70.jpeg
    E9BCD2CC-3290-47E2-B758-6909417C0A70.jpeg
    416.3 KB · Views: 0
They’re a bunch of teenagers going to be skating on the pond today here in Lancaster County Pennsylvania. (Better them than me.) Over the last 48 hours The high has been 20 with the low in the low single digits. I’m toasty warm with my electric heater and blankets. Of course, I slept in my clothes one night, not very comfortable is it. Going to Christmas dinner at my sons in York county today. Ham and filling and mashed potatoes ought to warm me up pretty good. they say fat is a good insulator.

God bless the nomads this Christmas day. And we nomads thank him for blessing us so many years ago in Bethlehem. Merry CHRISTmas to all.