Nature Lover and friends keep in touch

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear he is still with us! Hope he is still taking pictures!

Glad to hear it! I was starting to wonder...

:oops:

It is only Thursday and the forest camping is starting to fill up ahead of the Memorial day weekend. More noisy off road vehicles kicking up dust. Cell tower speeds already slowing down. The nearby tourist town street traffic is getting congested, long lines in the grocery store too. But that is the closest shopping and like others I needed to stock up on some basics to last through the weekend and in !y case it is also my monthly resupply week for basics like paper towels, soap, wet wipes, coffee, etc.

I need to go to the post office tomorrow to ship out product , guess I had better make it an early in the day trip!

I am very grateful that the town of Williams AZ has a decent hardware store. I was able to find some rivnuts and the rivnuts installation tools in the sizes I have been wanting but unable to find in the stores in AZ . My cabinet framing is made of aluminum angle and the threaded inserts make it easy tor remove some things such as the wood end panels on the cabinets for times I need easy access to wiring and such. Thought Ioing to have to resort to Amazon to get them. But Amazon lockers are rare to find in small towns so I was saving ordering them until I camped closer to Flagstaff. Good to get those checked off my need to purchase build list of supplies.
But now that I am back in camp I am chilling out in the shade of the pines where there is a pleasant breeze.

Later today is time to help a couple of women friends with their build stuff. I picked up the hardware they needed while I was in the fasteners aisle at the hardware store. Between last year and this one I almost have it memorized for where supplies are inside that store.

He was OK last week. Not in great shape, just OK, but able to drive to the local town closest to his family cabin. No cell signal at that cabin so he is not doing any postings.

I am bumping the thread. Don't want nature lover to check in and. Find it totally deserted.

As to birds one of the group I am camping with put up a humming bird feeder and it was getting swarmed with them, near constant activity. But he ran out of sugar a few days ago. So today when I was shopping at Walmart I purchased a bag of it and gifted it too him.

Too bad my generosity did not extend to making it into syrup... But I am not even wanting to cook my own meals today. Just feeling much too lazy for that activity today.

Thanks Maki. I hope he's doing OK...

Cheers!

No bird photo this morning but until I looked closely I thought a tiny humming bird was on the thistle flower near my campsite. Took some patience to get the shot of the Hummingbird Moth's wings extended. Yes that actually is the name this type of moth is commonly called! It is the only thistle blossom in site, I just happened to notice the pink and walked over for a closer look when the moth showed up to sip nectar.
0D1486A8-DC95-4CC6-BE1B-13CD33B72AA1.jpeg

A bump this thread challenge to all. If Nature Lover logs in let's have something new to look at to let him know he is missed. Take and post a photo or just write about one of the following that you encountered this summer. It can be a bird, tree, animal, bug, your dog, cat, bunny or a sunset, pretty view, etc.

Hello old friends. This is my third time today to try to post to you on here. I went to great detail twice and both times for some stupid reason lost what I was saying. Here is trying again but I’m losing patience with myself. I have a hard time with this I have to use dictation software which screws up from time to time and with my shaking hand have a hard time pressing the right area on the screen

I have reasons but probably more excuses and reasons for why I’ve not been on here. I’ve been down in the dumps those of you who know me know I suffer from bipolar and when other things are not going well depression is an easier place to live then on top of the mountain.

Basically I am broke down and my van was broke down. I managed to make it home from Florida in late May after swimming in the Gulf of Mexico surrounded by bottlenose dolphins and manatees. One Manatee came up and swim in a circle around me thinking I was big enough I must be a relative. Basically I am broke down and my van was broke down. I managed to make it home from Florida in late May after swimming in the Gulf of Mexico surrounded by bottlenose dolphins and manatees. One Manatee came up and swim in a circle around me thinking I was big enough I must be a relative I am serious amenity came within touching distance of me and I could not resist it I touched him. A once in a lifetime on forgettable experience. I managed to $500 in gas to get home to Pennsylvania in late May but still have yet to pay my bridge and Highway tolls in Florida. The van broke down up here and I lived in it for almost 2 months without it running. Thankfully I was at a place where I had and electrical hook up. I got it running again although it’s not great. Then on August 5 I came to Lancaster County Pennsylvania do some shopping for eyeglasses and ended up falling in their parking lot breaking the top ball of my humerus off and dislocated his shoulder. I am now in a rehab have been for five weeks and probably have another six weeks stuck here. At least it’s cheaper to live here I don’t have to pay gasoline and that my meals are provided by Medicare and I’m getting therapy exercise plus without being out to buy junk I’m losing a little weight. There are benefits to this I keep telling myself to look at them and dwell on them, but for a guy who likes to live outdoors it ain’t easy.

I paid 3500 for my old rust bucket van with high mileage on it. I borrowed that 3500 from a friend of zero interest. I put a lot of money into repairs and thankfully it got me to Florida for two winters and back. I have spent a lot of money on it recently and need new tires there’s some rust that needs fixed the running boards were busted off when I first bought it and being that I need them to get in and out it’s difficult I had to fix automatic window because it has no AC and now my other automatic window on the driver side is making funny noises. I just put a radiator fan clutch in it and although I replaced the tires when I first got it it’s time to replace them again as I busted one and had to put on a used one right now it has no spare so I’m thankful I’m not out there driving it. I have imagined feeling the transmission slipping occasionally but the mechanic checked it out and said without tearing it apart or open he thinks it’s OK. But of course there’s no guarantees. There’s all sorts of other problems with it but it’s been a home for three years what can I say I’ve been on the road taking pictures of wildlife and enjoying myself.

I don’t know if some of the other stuff I wrote in the last two post got online or not. So this third post is just sort of a recap of what I put in there.

Those of you who have read my posts in the past no I suffer from bipolar in addition to all the physical ailments I’ve got and I’ve got a family who thinks that I should not be on the road at all. I used to be ashamed and try to hide the fact that I was bipolar. But the fact is I didn’t do anything to make myself this way and the heck with it why should I hide it, I’m dealing with it. I love my family but I’m not gonna live in a box in the city. Living in a van is just as expensive as living in a little box in the city but a whole lot better for my mental health. It’s funny how many people think we’re crazy for living the lifestyle we do when the reality is they are the trapped and we are the free. Nature photography and visiting natural sites on the road it’s therapy for me. Without that therapy I’d be in a mental institution literally, I believe that. Last winter my good camera broke down. It was an expensive camera I bought years ago and have all sorts of attachments and lenses for it. A good friend of mine offered to buy another camera body for it but since that was thousands of dollars I said no but I accepted a “cheaper“ point-and-shoot camera from him. I sure enjoyed that camera but just this week I found a used camera from a very reputable dealer in New York that fits my lenses. It’s not as nice as the one I had before but it’s almost as good.Now that I’m not buying gas this month and Medicare is paying for my meals here in this home I had some money aside so I did not resist temptation I bought it. I know I should have put it in my emergency fund but I spent $360 on a used camera to go with the thousands of dollars worth of equipment I have from The days that I actually had an income.

so I guess nature lovers back and again I will look for a way to put pictures on another post so I don’t screw this one up and keep coming back, maki 2 - you have encouraged me and I went back to see where others have said encouraging things on this site. I needed that encouragement.

I also need your input about something else. I have been tempted to put an application in for the HOWA class b to be given away. So I would like your opinion(s) Their goal is to get homeless people into a vehicle/home and I am not homeless. My rustbucket is costing me a great deal of money but it has given me a place to live for the last three years and by patching it together with hundred dollar bills and duct tape it could give me a home for months or years to come. So would I be wrong in applying for HOWAs Van? It has good runningboards which would make it easier for this fat old crippled man to get in and out, all the windows function well, it doesn’t have the rust that mine has, it’s got much fewer mileage on their mind. And it’s a fantasy to think of being able to take a shower regularly without renting a campsite And to be able to cook in the van with a vent is much Nicer than the way I do it. I could get in and out the side doors of that van if I install a hand rail like I have now and then with the rotating driver seat be able to sit down and not have to pull myself in the front door. It will have brand new tires and apparently runs a lot better than my engine does. It sounds like a fantasy and I have to admit I’ve been fantasizing about that van as I’ve been sitting in this rehab/nursing home. Do you think they’d consider an East coaster like me? There are still a few days left to put an application in. Sometimes I think that the condition of my vehicle and the fact that I only have $1100 a month Social Security gives me good calls to apply other times I think there are so many others in need that perhaps I shouldn’t. So there I am putting it out to you. You can respond to me at my email or here. My email is [email protected].

I think I figured out the picture thing so below you will find a picture of a roof excited to hear from our mountains in Central Pennsylvania they beautiful snowy Egret from Florida.

God bless The nomads each and everyone of them no matter where they roam or park.

Attachments

• 9FD5EE55-74F2-4BA0-9F65-2F113C399F3E.jpeg
    9FD5EE55-74F2-4BA0-9F65-2F113C399F3E.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 0B5B8A0F-9676-4A08-B476-41F1084CA20F.jpeg
    0B5B8A0F-9676-4A08-B476-41F1084CA20F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Absolutely you should apply for the HOWA van. But you might need help with the application and associated documents you need to send copies of. That information is so they know for sure you are in financial need. A person I just camped with applied to get help at the Bring Your Own Van build event in Pahrump and had to get an internet savy helper to get the information submitted. For his application to that help he also needed 2 letters of reference. I wrote such a letter for him.

But get a move on, that giveaway is only a short window of opportunity before they quit taking applications for it. Plus you do have to pick it up in Pahrump, NV within a certain window of time.

But if you can't apply this fall they do plan on repeating this type of van giveaway event, maybe even in spring and fall of 2023. Predictions of such things are dependent on so many factors you would just have to do a wait and see approach and remain hopeful.

Hi again, I don’t know if any of you have experience with dictation but for some reason it takes a whole paragraph of what I said and repeats it. Sorry you have to read it twice also the bird I mentioned from Perry County PA is a Rufus sided towhee not a Roof excited to hear, as the dictation software printed it. And they think I’m nuts…

I just looked it up again and I have till the 12th to apply for the HOWA class B and I would like your opinion please should I or shouldn’t I? Of course the decision will be theirs, heck I don’t know, I live in fantasyland.

two more pictures. Views from my side doors. The mountains of Perry County Pennsylvania and my friends farm pond in Lancaster County Pennsylvania. They can make fun of me all they want but I live like a millionaire. At least the view out my front door is like a millionaires. That reminds me the doctor says I have the body of an athlete. Well he did say I had athletes foot. :)

Attachments

• 9E8E9E36-7153-4A6B-9230-BB4524C098AF.jpeg
    9E8E9E36-7153-4A6B-9230-BB4524C098AF.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • FF503A9D-00DF-43A8-8035-B7B9DF75EBE3.jpeg
    FF503A9D-00DF-43A8-8035-B7B9DF75EBE3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Good to hear from ya... yes yes yes... apply! If you need help getting there to get it. We’ll cross that bridge if it happens. Love your photos... waiting for some surgery myself... but hearing your in a good spot for now is encouraging.
Keep getting better... don’t worry about your bi polar issues with us. Just being up front with it has got to be freeing. I’ve always enjoyed your posts... your pictures are great. I laughed at your comment about swimming with the manatees. Good for you... that is awesome. Just know there are people here that look forward to hearing your ok... and how your doing... and seeing your pictures...

Welcome back Nature Lover and I can easily edit your post and remove the duplicate text if you want me to.

And yes If you were to actually be awarded the van we will figure out a way to get the van to you or get you to the van!

Nice to see all those birds again.

Last edited:
Bipolar eh??? I can't wait to see the photos Naturelover takes of the penguins and puffins on his travels way north and south to the polar regions.

I also need your input about something else. I have been tempted to put an application in for the HOWA class b to be given away. So I would like your opinion(s) Their goal is to get homeless people into a vehicle/home and I am not homeless.

God bless The nomads each and everyone of them no matter where they roam or park.
Of course you should apply. Remember, you can apply for funds to help fix your van as well. It's their job to screen your application, not yours!

I know what you mean about not wanting to live in a box. My day-to-day life in my van is little different from what my day-to-day life in my s&b was. But somehow, I'm much happier in my van.