Nature Lover and friends keep in touch

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nature lover

Reaction score
Hello old friends, and new ones (if you want to come aboard.) I miss one particular thread from our old forum. That was travel around‘s 24 /7 Chat. Or some type of title like that. But a bunch of us kept in touch with each other and I enjoyed that forum thread before I looked at any other. So although I’m ignorant of a lot of things at this new forum format i’m going to try here to resurrect a bit of that. So if you were on that thread before welcome back and if you were never on that thread before welcome aboard. Friendly conversations and insignificant information about who we are and where we are and what we are doing what we like and what we don’t like and all that kind of stuff. By the way my shaking from the brain tumor does not allow me to type well so I dictate this and that brings about some screwed up words and some repeating etc., so if it’s screwed up I’ll blame it on the dictation because I never make a mistake.😇

to start it off I’m gonna add a couple of nature pictures I’ve been taking a few again here in Florida. I’ve been in Florida now for three weeks and a half weeks. Right now in southern Florida it’s raining and the lows at night or under 40°. That bothered me until I called home to Pennsylvania and found out that their nightly lows are in the single digits. So I’m staying in Florida. When the sun is shining I’m out in nature centers and state parks in Audubon centers taking pictures mainly of birds at this time. So here are a few. The first one is a roseate spoonbill with a beautiful reflection in the water. Then there’s a butterfly never saw before called the white peacock. Florida is one of its northern ranges. And then there’s the popular sandhill crane. Down here in Florida they make a big deal out of protecting this bird they put up signs to protect it, charge people fines if they mess with it etc. yet there are 17 states in United States where it is a game bird gamebird and I understand it’s very delicious.

Attachments

• 27F6FBDC-E241-47EB-985D-01503ED2785F.jpeg
    27F6FBDC-E241-47EB-985D-01503ED2785F.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 6
  • 35341DD7-5E34-47DF-A08F-96B3CC75BA58.jpeg
    35341DD7-5E34-47DF-A08F-96B3CC75BA58.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 5A508534-6A17-4493-925E-2D36B73953E3.jpeg
    5A508534-6A17-4493-925E-2D36B73953E3.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 6
It's good to see you again. I was worried when you didn't post.

There seemed to be an influx of old members showing up when the emails started up about recent postings, thats a good part of the "new names".

Regarding the old thread, it was one of the first things I checked also. Unfortunately, I think many people felt some foreboding of doom regarding the new owner of the forum, the sense of betrayal that Bob sold the forum rather than closing it down and losing everything its become to everyone, and some vague "data" threat. The "my data" thing is perplexing, Id guess most dont clear their cookies and history in their general internet use, which is far more potentially useful "data" than anything they ever posted or entered as info in a forum profile.

There seemed to be an influx of old members showing up when the emails started up about recent postings, thats a good part of the "new names".

Regarding the old thread, it was one of the first things I checked also. Unfortunately, I think many people felt some foreboding of doom regarding the new owner of the forum, the sense of betrayal that Bob sold the forum rather than closing it down and losing everything its become to everyone, and some vague "data" threat. The "my data" thing is perplexing, Id guess most dont clear their cookies and history in their general internet use, which is far more potentially useful "data" than anything they ever posted or entered as info in a forum profile.
Malamute - i’ve stated before how stupid I am about technology. I used to think I had a grasp on it, but it change so fast and my mind is getting so slow that it passed me by like a freight train. What’s this about cookies and stuff to clear from my computer. And how do I do it? I have an iPad. I keep my laptop off the Internet to protect it and because the iPad is so much easier to charge on the 12 V system.

as to Mr. Wells, his intentions and reasons for selling the forum. I wish he was still involved but I think he’s got his plate more than full. Isn’t it funny that this man who has lived in a vehicle for 17 years has got a staff to run his business and his 501 C3. Bob Wells is one of two things; he is either the most kind and generous person who gives away what he could spend on himself and enjoy a luxurious lifestyle or he is the biggest bullshitter that is on the Internet. I happen to believe the first one. I am naïve and trusting and prefer living that way rather than negative and judgmental. If there’s ever an expose about Bob being a faker and liar I think I will drive to Key West and keep driving into the gulf. I was a part-time van dweller desiring to be full-time long before I heard a Bob Wells. Twice in the last week I’ve approached other van dwellers here in Florida. Neither of them said they knew anything about Bob Wells or CRVL. One was a young woman in an ambulance and from the looks of her rig had everything all together and the resources to do it. The other was a young man who’s van was in worse shape than mine but he’s very positive about improving it. This has happened so many times to me over the years that I think I should carry a card and hand it out for to promote CRVL.

any of you others who used to interact with me on here I sure would like to hear from you, please come out from under your rock or from behind your tree. I may have disagreed with you many times but you have been a source of fun and encouragement for a man that gets a little down from time to time. God bless the van dwellers each and everyone of them.

Last edited:
Good to hear you are still around. I don’t post much in the winter as I seldom have time. Lots to do at our winter base camp.

I know that Bob sold the forum to someone else, but it would be nice if there were at least a link to the new forum location on the CheapRVLiving website...

Malamute - i’ve stated before how stupid I am about technology. I used to think I had a grasp on it, but it change so fast and my mind is getting so slow that it passed me by like a freight train. What’s this about cookies and stuff to clear from my computer. And how do I do it? I have an iPad. I keep my laptop off the Internet to protect it and because the iPad is so much easier to charge on the 12 V system.
Im not familiar with the Ipads, but theres going to be a place in your settings for internet, or however Apple terms it, to allow cookies, or at least limit them. Theres a thing called 3rd party cookies, basically meaning not only the sites you visit setting cookies, but all their friends as well. I cant for the life of me figure out why anyone would leave 3rd party cookies wide open if they know about them, i dont believe its needed for anything functional.

Cookies are tracking files, you collect them virtually everyplace you go on the internet, its difficult to function online without at least some cookies allowed. They serve a variety of purposes. One functional purpose, when on a site, this one for example, they remember where youve been, dont sign you out when you change pages, keep you signed in the next time you show up if you leave them open and dont sign out manually, that sort of thing.

In some places with intrusive data collecting and aggressive advertising with that data (what most "data" is used for) like facebook, I dump all previous cookies and history before going on their site, then dump it all again after leaving their site. Definitely always clear it all every time i turn the computer off or leave it for a short while.

Talking to a computer repair person, he said most people rarely clear cookies, and theyve found thousands upon thousands of them clogging up some computers.

Cookies send back info to their origin on where youve been online. Its a simple fact of life to function in most online activities, especially places like forums, but we can limit somewhat how much we give up to them. Otherwise, anyplace one has EVER gone online, that site set cookies, as well as all their friends (unless you restrict 3rd party cookies), and they know every single place youve EVER been online, unless you cleared all that. You can set your settings to clear that stuff on a schedule or every time you close a browser, but i dont think many people do that. It really makes me wonder if people truly understand all this when theyve asked for their forum account to be deleted and they want their "data" removed, seemingly thinking their posts are "data".

The "data" most places seek are what youve done online (what your interests are) and how to market advertising that you may be interested in. Its not really quite as dark as some make it out to be, its more annoying than anything to me. Personal info like your email and actual name are other data points, but those arent that hard to find in various forms depending on other things you do online, and I dont think are given up by most forums. I dont think forum profile info for the most part hardly constitute a huge security issue. Im also shocked to think people would give their entire real name and actual birthdate info on a profile, or any other actual sensitive or potentially useful info that could be problematic.

Bottom line, if you use a cell phone and use the internet, your dreams of privacy are probably mostly illusion. If you want to participate in this grand information and social superhighway, theres traffic cams all over, just like in real life on real roads. Yes, you can limit it in some ways, but I think youd have to be at a very high level of paranoia and technical ability to effectively stay "off the radar". Most of our radar signature is oriented to advertisers wanting to put something in front of you that they think youll buy. Like if they could put electronic billboards along the roads about things youd be interested in. Dont be surprised of someone figures out how to do that.

Last edited:
Forgot to add above, History is where to go to clear cookies. History is closely associated with cookies. If you do clear all that, you will have to manually enter all your info to log onto any sites. Surprisingly, many dont want to give up that convenience feature, even if its leaving quite a bit of info on your activity floating around.

Pick one, convenience, or privacy.

Thank you for that I’ll have to read it twice before I understand it but I really like cookies so I was looking forward to a variety. Molasses are my favorite oatmeal raisin second. God bless all the nomads and mat they get the right kind of cookies.

Im not familiar with the Ipads, but theres going to be a place in your settings for internet, or however Apple terms it, to allow cookies, or at least limit them. Theres a thing called 3rd party cookies, basically meaning not only the sites you visit setting cookies, but all their friends as well. I cant for the life of me figure out why anyone would leave 3rd party cookies wide open if they know about them, i dont believe its needed for anything functional.

Cookies are tracking files, you collect them virtually everyplace you go on the internet, its difficult to function online without at least some cookies allowed. They serve a variety of purposes. One functional purpose, when on a site, this one for example, they remember where youve been, dont sign you out when you change pages, keep you signed in the next time you show up if you leave them open and dont sign out manually, that sort of thing.

In some places with intrusive data collecting and aggressive advertising with that data (what most "data" is used for) like facebook, I dump all previous cookies and history before going on their site, then dump it all again after leaving their site. Definitely always clear it all every time i turn the computer off or leave it for a short while.

Talking to a computer repair person, he said most people rarely clear cookies, and theyve found thousands upon thousands of them clogging up some computers.

Cookies send back info to their origin on where youve been online. Its a simple fact of life to function in most online activities, especially places like forums, but we can limit somewhat how much we give up to them. Otherwise, anyplace one has EVER gone online, that site set cookies, as well as all their friends (unless you restrict 3rd party cookies), and they know every single place youve EVER been online, unless you cleared all that. You can set your settings to clear that stuff on a schedule or every time you close a browser, but i dont think many people do that. It really makes me wonder if people truly understand all this when theyve asked for their forum account to be deleted and they want their "data" removed, seemingly thinking their posts are "data".

The "data" most places seek are what youve done online (what your interests are) and how to market advertising that you may be interested in. Its not really quite as dark as some make it out to be, its more annoying than anything to me. Personal info like your email and actual name are other data points, but those arent that hard to find in various forms depending on other things you do online, and I dont think are given up by most forums. I dont think forum profile info for the most part hardly constitute a huge security issue. Im also shocked to think people would give their entire real name and actual birthdate info on a profile, or any other actual sensitive or potentially useful info that could be problematic.

Bottom line, if you use a cell phone and use the internet, your dreams of privacy are probably mostly illusion. If you want to participate in this grand information and social superhighway, theres traffic cams all over, just like in real life on real roads. Yes, you can limit it in some ways, but I think youd have to be at a very high level of paranoia and technical ability to effectively stay "off the radar". Most of our radar signature is oriented to advertisers wanting to put something in front of you that they think youll buy. Like if they could put electronic billboards along the roads about things youd be interested in. Dont be surprised of someone figures out how to do that.
Cookies aren't active programs. They are just like a big Excel spreadsheet that lists a bunch of info.
They are read by programs in the websites you visit. That is how your password is saved, or your preferences for forums, etailers etc. Where is gets dodgy is that the advertising you see on many websites use cookies to track your browsing habits. The way it works is that there are only a handful of companies like Google Ads, Taboolah etc that do web ads. So you might see an ad for diapers and an unrelated ad for car parts, but its the same ad server behind both ads. And that server checks in on the cookies you have stored when you viewed those sites.
They also gather info on location, type of computer and a lot of other techy things that help them categorize you.
They use that to target demographic segments for their advertising clients.
Long story short, cookies are very small amount of data. The only way they could take up significant storage is if a malicious developer abused the cookie spec to load malware onto your computer. Which does happen. Thats a malware problem, not cookies.
The other thing like cookies, but not cookies is local web storage. That is where YouTube and Netflix etc store temp files while you are streaming.
That sucks up storage fast.
I'd advise people NOT to clear their cookies. That will force you to re-sign in to every website you regularly visit an only garner 50mb or so of space.
Clear the web cache instead. That is usually 1 GB or more.

I agree with most of your post, but I most definitely fully intend to NOT allow access to any forum or site without having to actively sign in every single time. Theres a couple reasons, once I allowed a friend to use my computer when he was visiting, he went onto a forum we both frequented and posted in my name, just in fun, but I wasnt amused, and realized it was a real potential vulnerability. Another friend involved in computer work told me that theres a number of ways that your computer can be hijacked or compromised, and leaving any access to anywhere I go isnt part of my plan. i get up and take the dog for a walk, I close my email, disconnect from the net and clear all history and cookies. No exceptions. Theres reasons, first, in private messages on forums there may be personal info that could be useful to a hostile entity, like possibly my name and mailing address, etc. I see absolutely no good reason to leave any access wide open to anyone that could possible get access to my computer physically or through a new link. I tend to delete such info in time, but while its there, its potentially vulnerable.

Some people are perfectly happy doing the least possible amount of effort to take any security precautions in various life venues. I lock my vehicle any moment Im not in it, even (oe especially) when getting gas (gas station robberies are fairly common, they sometimes open the off-side door and grab whatever they can while the driver is blissfully putting in gas and never have a clue while its happening). Ive always had locking gas caps, I dont leave keys laying around the house, I dont leave house doors open or unlocked, I switched the garage door motor so it cant be activated from outside when I dont want it to be, I dont do online banking or throw bank or credit card statements in the trash (burn barrel instead) or leave them laying about when others are in the house, I install long screws in all the door hinges and latches, and other very basic things to make it more difficult for individuals of low moral fiber to take advantage. None is difficult, none is complicated, and to me is just common sense, but apparently many feel much of it is too much effort. We can each make our choices as to what we consider worthwhile or practical efforts to try to reduce potential issues, risk vs reward.

My IPad and IPhone lock within seconds of my laying them down, requiring I unlock with a passcode each time. and so I stay signed in on forums and webpages I visit regularly.

I have rarely allowed someone to use my phone, but when I do I dial for them and stand there while they use it.

I agree with most of your post, but I most definitely fully intend to NOT allow access to any forum or site without having to actively sign in every single time. Theres a couple reasons, once I allowed a friend to use my computer when he was visiting, he went onto a forum we both frequented and posted in my name, just in fun, but I wasnt amused, and realized it was a real potential vulnerability.

The usual (safer and much easier) solution is a separate computer login for guests. Each user has their own sandbox. Depending on the OS a guest account may already exist.

Even phones can have this functionality.

Thank you everyone for all the information on cookies. I wish it was the kind of cookies I like. No offense to anyone but I’d like this thread to be about people wanting to interact with me and others by leaving little bits of news and gossip and help this lonely old nomad to get along a little more. I’d like to hear from people that I used to talk to on The forum and even the ones I argued with. :) Sometimes this place is as lonely as a laundromat at a nudist colony.

on another note my very expensive camera with it’s very expensive accessories has been determined not worth fixing. It is apparently worthless, just because I spent thousands of dollars and eight years ago on it doesn’t make any difference, it’s now trash, Antiquated technology. There are no camera bodies made that I can buy to fit the lenses, batterie, etc I have. Oh there is one way I could get a new mirror Sony for around two to $3000 and then buy a $400 adapter so that my lenses might work with it. Stop the world I wanna get off.

Hi NL. How are you doing on your return to FL? Has the weather gotten any warmer? It's been in the 60's during the day here and the 20's at night but that's supposed to change this coming week. Sorry to hear about your camera, I know it meant a lot to you to take those pictures... What kind is it? Where are you staying now? Another Cracker Barrel? I hope your getting through all this OK. Keep plugging!

Cheers!

J

Thank you everyone for all the information on cookies. I wish it was the kind of cookies I like. No offense to anyone but I’d like this thread to be about people wanting to interact with me and others by leaving little bits of news and gossip and help this lonely old nomad to get along a little more. I’d like to hear from people that I used to talk to on The forum and even the ones I argued with. :) Sometimes this place is as lonely as a laundromat at a nudist colony.

on another note my very expensive camera with it’s very expensive accessories has been determined not worth fixing. It is apparently worthless, just because I spent thousands of dollars and eight years ago on it doesn’t make any difference, it’s now trash, Antiquated technology. There are no camera bodies made that I can buy to fit the lenses, batterie, etc I have. Oh there is one way I could get a new mirror Sony for around two to $3000 and then buy a $400 adapter so that my lenses might work with it. Stop the world I wanna get off.
Sorry to hear about the camera. Been there myself.

I have the first Minolta Digital slr the 7D(?). It still has a bladed shutter and while cleaning the sensor I fd-up the blades. Got thousands $$ in lenses but cant afford the newer Sony A series bodies and the LEA4 adapter.

Do you know what tje initial problem was with your camera?

Which body? Can you get a used, good condition one to replace yours from B&H or Adorama or eBay?

JDub - I am switching days between the Cracker Barrel, or Walmart, and the interstate rest stop. I’m mainly at the Walmart but I keep changing occasionally so that they don’t kick me out. Flight is all right now but there’s hasn’t been any sunshine for days so the solar is a keep my batteries up. So I have to drive about 20 miles or so every day just to keep the refrigerator running. Good to hear from you. I plan to be here through May.

Gntlstone - my camera is a Sony alpha 65. That’s the alpha with the mirror before they went to the new one. So it’s a standard Minolta Sony mount for the lenses. I’m not very technical savvy to tell you exactly what the problem is. my non-technical observation is The camera was not reacting well with the lenses so it wasn’t focusing and there is a problem with the sensor It apparently got dirty and scratched. I really didn’t realize it until this happened but this camera is 10 years old and taken hundreds of thousands of pictures. For example I was out in the earlier part of the week and took 2000 pictures in one day. Some people say how can you do that well if you’re shooting wildlife that you want to get them action pictures I said it on 10 frames a second. They add up fast. Fact is that I don’t remember exactly how to use all the different things in the camera. It’s got more bells and whistles than I can handle now even though I used to know a lot more. I never was an expert but I thought I was getting good results with it. I’m seriously thinking of going to A fixed lens point-and-shoot. They have some of them to get up to 60 time zoom and I’ve heard good and bad things about them. But I’m not looking to spend much more than $300 because even that’s gonna have to come off the top of my budget that something else is going to have to be sacrificed. I can stop eating for a couple of months that would do me a lot of good.

by the way I hope you all caught my message about being as lonely as a laundromat in a nudist colony. I just came up with that one and I’m pretty proud of it.