Nanchez trace

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scout

Reaction score
Has anyone traveled it? I hear it's good but Im leaving Ohio in early December to go to Arizona. I thought about making it a part of my route but do you think December is too late in the year?

I've traveled it many times. It is one of my favorite roads. The speed limit is low, the scenery serene and there's plenty of wildlife to view. There are also 2 free campground on this road that are beautiful too. It will have lost its fall colors by December, but still a pretty and peaceful drive.

Chip

sushidog said:
It will have lost its fall colors by December...

Yeah, like elsewhere, the deciduous trees will be bare.  :D

I did the part in Tennessee many many years ago on a motorcycle. The trees were so dense I couldn't see anything, as I recall. May be more interesting if the leaves are gone and you can see through the trees.

I did it!

It took me 10 days to do the entire Trace. Ok, I did hole up in one of the campgrounds for 2 nights because it was raining hard and I didn't want to miss any of the sightseeing stops!  Yea, I averaged just over 40 miles a day!... :D

I did it at the end of November so the trees were bare, but the upside is that the number of tourists is WAY down. You have the roads and the stops mostly to yourself. 

You'll probably want to make sure you've got propane and a heater.

Before you get started spend some time figuring out how many of the numerous stops you will want to make. If nature walks aren't your thing then plan on leaving them out but even if it's not your thing it's worthwhile getting out and walking at least a little bit of the original trace where it can be accessed from the roadway.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like a good trip. I was more concerned about any mountain passes or steep grades I might run into and the weather starting to turn.

Early December in Ohio is still doable, and you will be heading South into warmer weather (hopefully). I wouldn't wait until late December however, all bets are off by that time of the year !