Naming of vans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no naming here.

my rv is my home on wheels. I never named my house I live in so I don't name my home on wheels I live in.
Just us LOL

I think names are cute truly but not needed by me for any reason kinda thing.

I say 'lets go home' and that means our home on wheels. Home is home to me. Home is just home, no need to name it :)

one time I said lets go home and my younger kid said 'we are camping' and in the rv and I said, yea, home! She then switched to HOME is the rv cause if we are traveling we always have a home :)

RoamerRV428 said:
my rv is my home on wheels.  I never named my house I live in so I don't name my home on wheels I live in.
Just us LOL

I never met a house with enough personality for a name but all my vehicles have had it in abundance. 

bullfrog said:
^^^ Outstanding name! I also liked the horse in the movie Catbaloo that the good character Lee Marvin played rode. Something about seeing a horse lean against a building with a drunk in the saddle made it an extension of the character.
 What a great movie!

My van is named Zara. I waited to name her until I'd lived in her for a while and could think of something short but meaningful to me.

Zara comes from an operetta called "Gypsy Rover", and is the name of the queen of the gypsies in the operetta. My mother played the role of Zara in high school and was an avid traveller. Hence the name Zara. My van is plain white, which doesn't fit the name at all.

I named my ‘92 GMC/Explorer conversion “George,” first for its throaty V8 growl, and also because its been a Georgia van since it was built, finding myself a reluctant Georgia resident, and George Washington’s namesake. If I had to name it again, it would be Dora the Explorer  :p

it`s just easier for me to name my vehicles, bicycles, houses, kayaks, dogs, cats...

But it's Ex1, Ex2, Late3 or just plain "As****e!".

Can't remember my kids names half the time either: Son#1, #2, #3 & #4.

Whatever floats our boats.
Ted

One time we got a puppy and they gave us a kitten at the same time. We named the puppy curiosity. We didn’t have to name the cat because curiosity killed the cat.

I see my Van as more of a trusty horse, getting me where i need to go. I don't think its lame, and even if it is, i don't care what others think. It brings good karma to your ride, unless you think vehicle karma is lame as well.

I see my Van as more of a trusty horse, getting me where i need to go.
(y) I always thought of my truck as a great dog... loyal, never complained, suffered tons of abuse, always eager to go, never let me down.

Some dogs don't need a name.

I named my truck Rocinante (rossin aunty). It means, in 17th century Spanish, previously a work horse. Fitting because my truck used to be a U-Haul. Rocinante was also the name of Don Quixote's horse, acknowledging the possibility that my adventures may be a delusional fool's errand.

Our first trip to Co. we were thinking of names along the way. We were in Ridgway where they filmed the hanging scene in the movie True Grit. I was standing on the steps where John Wayne comes out of his office and was clowning around talking like him. Our Van was parked right there, I looked at it and it just popped in my head “The Duke”!

"Rocinante"
That is the name I always wanted to give a horse. :) Maybe since I never got a horse I should name my vehicle that. (well, probably not....)
I like the idea that naming a live-in van is like naming a boat. Boats are always named.

Rocinante is the name John Steinbeck gave to his truck and camper that he traveled the USA in with his dog. He subsequently published the book “ Travels With Charlie” about his journey. I’ve met about half a dozen old truck owners who’ve named their trucks the same. Me, I call my old truck “ my truck”.

More recently the crew in the tv show (and book) "The Expanse" named their ship (a salvaged Martian attack ship) the Rocinante.

"Rocinante" as a name for transportation predates Steinbeck.

One may want to rethink using the name, unless one identifies with Don Quixote.

"Rocinante is not only Don Quixote's horse, but also his double; like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocinante

"Rocinante is not only Don Quixote's horse, but also his double; like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities."

exactly

We named our camper van, Morrison as in Van Morrison. Perfect!

My class A has quite the overhang in the aft, and with such a prodigious stern, I could only come up with Bertha in honor of a 50 year old song... enjoy... and steer clear of my rear end when I am moving

Before I started getting ready for the road someone asked me if I named my rig. I thought about it and never did name it so my first instinctive response was, her name is "Mistress"! They asked why that name and with a smile on my face I replied "because she shows me things I've never seen before but every now and then she screws me and takes all my money ?.
So do you have a name for your rig and how did you come up with it?
😅😂🤣