Naming of vans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our ExpeditionVehicle:
* Rhino Eight.
As you might imagine, Rhino Eight has a lot of authority going down the road.
On over-grown logger tracks to remote mountain lakes, we generally travel in the center of the trail.
Occasionally, a minor forest is trying their hand at over-taking our rightful Right-Of-Way.
Up to about four inches on the trunk, Rhino Eight drives over trees.
They spring right back up.
On the way out, we drive over them a second time, and again, they spring right back up.
I like built-in resilience.
Our introduction with plenty of portraits, plus our reasons for our decisions:
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/expeditionvehicle-build.44908/#post-576110

I think I'll name my rig Taranis. Don't steal that, it's mine!

This is derived from discovering that my ancestors hailed a from tribe of Celtic barbarians who lived at the present day southern Germany/French border (Black Forest). Most people think the Celts are from Britain, but that's only the their last hold out. The center of the culture was Germany, 2-3k years ago.

This clan painted their heads red before battle (hence my surname) and also fought naked, even in winter... because it was badass, and sort of the style. The Romans cared more about efficiency and wore lots of armor, and kicked their butts pretty well, and eventually turned most of them into Christians. And in the 1800s a bunch moved to the US, and eventually birth me.

Anyway, Taranis is the Celtic god of thunder and the wheel, popular in that area and that time.

Rruff,
We must be relatives! :)

I've always liked the Celtic God Lugh's name for my vehicles because that what they do. IE: Lug me and my stuff around. I won't bore you with all his attributes, but the most important IMHO was his dog Failinis, a greyhound of great renown who always caught its prey, was invincible in battle, and could turn water into wine. The latter being most important!