Namaste!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenwink

Reaction score
I'm Sonja. I've been interested in nomad living off & on for most of my life. Recently, my life has changed for the better, & I'm now taking stock. It is the perfect time for me to get ready for the next stage in my life: nomadic living. The only thing really stopping me is funds. Long story short: waiting to get disability. I'm perfectly happy to do so as this gives me a chance to really look at what I want & how to achieve it. Washington state gives me about $300 a month; which, after my bills, gives my about $100 to use as I see fit. This has taught me financial patience, & my recent personal growth has led my to see things through much healthier eyes instead of needy ones.

I have had prior experience in living in a van - a Ford F150 conversion van. It was just my driving vehicle until I couldn't work anymore. I hastily converted it & parked on the streets at night. I had no electricity, running water, or heat. I lived this way for ten years in Washington until I finally got a housing voucher & moved into my current apartment. If I can do that & come out a better person, I can happily live in a tailored moving home.

I'm intelligent, have a creative mind, love challenges, & have learned to negotiate tough times by appreciating the important things both in my life & what I see around me. I'm a lifelong learner & truly believe variety is the spice of life.

Even though I'm just in the dreaming/planning stage of my nomadic life, I'm really excited. I'm put off by RVs: how cheaply they're built, their layouts, how they look, & especially how much they cost. I have prior experience in construction, & my son's a welder, so I plan to build my moving home to my fit me & my needs. Did I mention I'm 6' 1"? I really wanted to build a beautiful & unique tiny home on a trailer, but their parking options seem to be limited thus far, & I want to keep my options open - especially since I'm just starting out & don't really know what works for me. So it looks like a flatbed, RV demo & rebuild, or bus conversion for me. Whatever I end up choosing, I want to be as self-sufficient as possible since I prefer the boondocking nature to RV camps. What I dream of doing is having solar without a generator, catching rain water, a humus composting toilet, slideouts and/or fold out room extensions, an internal garden & houseplants, sauna, hot tub, a tiny wood burning stove, & maybe a wind generator for kicks. Now I know what you're thinking; esp, the sauna & hot tub - but I've seen an RV on YouTube with a small sauna, & a small hot tub is not impossible, just unlikely. LOL. Of course, the best laid plans and all that, but don't underestimate how long I've been dreaming/planning/researching, not to mention my stubbornness which has kept me going in the tough times. I also know that it sounds very costly & not a good match to cheap RV living, but I plan to build things that don't require extra & costly equipent; i.e.: the slideouts will be built without a motor & I can pull them out manually. I definitely won't be glamping. Since I don't have any money saved, I am content to wait as long as it takes - even years - to build my DIY moving home, finances allowing. Living as self-sustainably as I can will also help keep my living expenses down.

I look forward to meeting all of you & becoming a part of the Cheap RV Living community.

Namaste, Everyone!

Wow! That's quite the introduction. Welcome and we hope to hear more in the future. Keep updating your progress, it sounds like it will be amazing to say the least.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Sonja! Please keep us updated. We love seeing innovative plans and ideas!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Shalom and welcome, Greenwink!!

Goodness, what a wonderful outlook it is that springs from your post! I grok it.  :)

On here I relate from an external journey perspective but that is just an important part of a support system for the one that really matters, my internal journey.

When you dream it and believe it you will see it.

Namaste

Welcome! I think you got my patience genes, lol! I'm trying to figure out how to grow greens instead of just sprouts, when I get on the road. So far I've not come up with a good, functional idea yet, but I'm hammering away at it. Hot tub, hmmm. That would sure beat the wipes method of bathing :)

Best wishes on your journey.

Hi greenwink. Your plans are great but perhaps not everything you dream of will become a reality because of the physical effort involved in some of the chores to enable certain aspects of your dream. I do not know what your disability is but I do know cutting a lot of firewood is not something I want to put my back and hands through.

A solar water heating system for a hot tub would of course be possible if you can devote the space for such panels. But having enough water to supply it not quite so easy. Water is heavy stuff 8 lbs a gallon. Hauling around enough water to keep a hot tub full will increase your carbon footprint. The answer is to try to find locations for long term stays near natural hot springs.

SheketEchad said:
Welcome!  I think you got my patience genes, lol!  I'm trying to figure out how to grow greens instead of just sprouts, when I get on the road.  So far I've not come up with a good, functional idea yet, but I'm hammering away at it.  Hot tub, hmmm.  That would sure beat the wipes method of bathing :)

Best wishes on your journey.
you should start a thread on growing microgreens with 12v power in a small space. It can be done in a small space with the lights and trays arranged just right. In fact how trays and lights can be arranged can be pretty wild, just take a look at this display that is strung on curved rods, remember the plants grow towards the lights and you want a closed system for the water to conserve it. Putting a tray over an LED light strip, the light warms the plant tray on top of it which is a sweet conserving of energy. http://blog.brightagrotech.com/hubfs/2015_-_Milano-4013.jpg