Mystery bolts in 1989 Ford E-150?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzltbeer

Reaction score
Hoping someone might have knowledge of what these mystery bolts are holding in the floor of my van, it's a 1989 Ford E-150 that was somewhat built out with insulation and boards.  There are 4 bolts in the back that I can't tell what they might be holding, I can't see from underneath and I'm just worried if I grind them off I might be sorry.  You can see them in this video  at 3:13, they might just be holding the board down that is on the floor.

Since they're on top of the aftermarket carpeting, my guess is that they probably used to anchor a bench seat that folded down to become a bed. That was common in conversion vans.

I am assuming you are talking about the ones that you can see that run side to side? Instead of cutting them why don't you just unbolt them?

Highdesertranger

Those look like aftermarket grade 5 bolts from the hardware store. Ford would use weird flanged bolts for stuff. Who knows what those could be for. Try unscrewing one.

Thanks all, I was worried about just unbolting it and hearing my rear gas tank hit the ground.

buzltbeer said:
You can see them in this video  at 3:13, they might just be holding the board down that is on the floor.

I would crawl under and see what they are holding up.
It is not hard to distinguish them, you can measure or look for newer bolts and nuts.