My vanlife begins!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m slowly converting my 2018 Chevy express 3500 extd. pass. van but need help desperately. Being disabled is challenging enuff & doing a self-build is even more so I’m reaching out to anyone who could help. I’m currently in Vancouver, BC & headed to west coast US unless I find help here. I have the tools/supplies to begin & can pay cash $USD or $CAD.

Get ahold of "Chrome".
He has a neat shop somewhere in BC and would probably jump at the chance to help you, provided he could film you/your van and the work for his YouTube channel?
Here's a link to all of his video's where you could make contact with him, maybe...

Thanks for the input but I'm aware of him & his site but he doesn't reply to anyone doesn't matter if you're a patron either!

I obviously don't know the nature of your disability, but you don't have to invest a lot of time, skill, or money doing a build. My build took less than a week. I have no construction skills and did my build using only a drill, saw, and tape measure. And maybe a hammer or wrench, though I don't remember using them. I didn't use any other tools, because that's the entirety of my tool collection. No point in owning tools I don't know how to use... My initial build cost < $4k, no point in buying materials I don't know how to use...

By keeping the build simple, most of the amenities wanted in a van can be purchased already assembled. Bed, kitchenette, toilet, storage, plumbing and electrical power can all be factory built. By keeping the build simple, you don't need someone with specialized expertise. You can hire a local handyman to do the stuff you can't do. I hired someone from Task Rabbit to build a toilet box.

There are a lot of reasons for starting with a simple build. My primary reasons were I wanted something quickly, I didn't want anything that I didn't know how to fix (or easily replace) if needed. I didn't want to spend a lot of money until I gained enough experience to know what I wanted. Down the road, I could add complexity where desired, as my time, knowledge and money allowed.

Here's a video explaining why its advantageous to go simple:

My build includes a lot of amenities (eg. hot water, induction cooktop, microwave, inside shower, diesel heater). Every system is executed in the simplest way that accomplishes the desired task.

Here's a video offering an opinion of what's necessary in a build and how to do it for $1000.