My long lost community?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gardenias

Reaction score
I'm grateful that YouTube suggested one of Bob's videos. Since then, I'd been gradually immersing myself into learning everything I can. I'd even gone off on different interesting tangents. So far, this seems to be the community I'd been searching for...

Hello, and welcome!

If you feel like it, tell us a little about yourself. And jump right into any conversation, we're a pretty friendly bunch.

Welcome! What made you become interested in this life?  For me, it's a sense of stagnation and loneliness that makes me want to "run away" and find a new tribe and see new things. Plus, I am just surviving living in an apartment, and with no vehicle, it is very isolating.

Welcome aboard Gardenias !

Lots of folks here just waiting to help you OUT.

Welcome to the CRVL Forums     :) 

About anything you could want to learn about living out of an RV is here for you,  plus plenty of willing people to
explain and help you to understand it.   It is a way of life that can provide a better solution for many who struggle with the conventional ways most are accustomed to.   It is affordable,  offers new experiences,  new perspectives on life, personal growth, a feeling of self confidence that comes through achievement of being free
and traveling one's OWN course. 

I have a couple of web sites below I'd invite you to look through that may stimulate some ideas.  One is a way to
rig up, and the other a handy portal of information to use prior to a journey or while on one.  It can make life much easier when on the road to know of that resource.

All the best in finding our way !

Welcome to the CRVL forums Gardenias!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Queen, I appreciate the warmth!

AmieW, I think I'd always been interested in this life. So, it seems I'm approaching "full circle." Up until now, I'd been trying to participate in conventional societies' games. I feel I'd done my best; though after a series of losses, I think I'm beginning to fully realize that it's just not my game. For my remaining years, I want to play a game of my liking.

rvpopeye, I appreciate the reassurance!
eDJ, yes...my OWN course!

rvwandering, that's one of the first things I did before registering.

It's so weird, isn't it? We buy the bills of goods society tells us, we work hard, we save, pay our taxes, be good solid citizens; but as we age we look around ourselves and wonder why we did it, to what end.

Very happy for you that you're grabbing life by the tail and starting your own new chapter, congrats!

wagoneer, thanks again for the warm welcome!
Yes, while I'm "able" got me to thinking...

I bet that most in this community (after having experienced true freedom) loathe the idea of dying in a hospital, nursing home, or hospice.
After witnessing these endings of others, I loathe this prospect...and I haven't even been fully out there like the rest of you!
I would want to die peacefully out in the wilderness.
Though in one of Bob's video comment sections (I think?), it seemed someone was admonishing this community to make proper end of life arrangements because, not only was this person's relative's body discovered after about a week (resulting in vehicle biohazard), the person had a heck of a time finalizing the deceased's paperwork.
So how are others addressing this end of life issue?
Do you plan to reenter society?
If not, what systems would be best so that one's body is discovered sooner (especially with a pet).

Hi there!

You can get all your "what to do if I'm dead" paperwork in order and leave copies of it with trusted relatives/friends or a lawyer if no-one else is willing or available. And then make sure you have that contact info for the person with your instructions in your wallet/purse. Even if you don't have a lot of property to dispose of, a will makes the courts all happy because it saves them time hunting down your next of kin and your kin time in dealing with the courts.

And always, always, let someone know where you are and when you plan on checking in next. Even if you make no other arrangements, especially if you're out solo, someone you trust must know where you are at all times especially if you have pets. One of my neighbors died and nobody noticed for about a week. Her dogs and cats were barely clinging to life with someone finally discovered her and that's in a house where at least they could drink out of the toilet for a while.

Lol, look at me giving advice like I know what I'm doing. Hopefully, the old hands will fill this out and correct any nonsense I've inadvertently spouted.

This community seems the closest to a resource based economy as described by Captain Picard in the following poignant clip from a STNG (Star Trek Next Generation) episode that I saw a while back. It planted a seed that led me here.

1.08 minutes

Since then I'd looked into The Zeitgeist and Thrive movements, and The Venus Project. These semblances of Utopia will unlikely occur in my lifetime. So, I'm hoping to experience a bit of it here.

I see that Jacque Fresco passed recently. I had hoped to meet him during this planned adventure.

welcome to the forum gardenias. there's a whole community interested in living this kind of lifestyle. i don't know how i would want to die. though i think just leave me out in the wild hell it beats being in a nursing home hospice or in a hospital. atleast i am free. and why keep someone alive and keep them in pain and suffering. and when i do croak i don't want no one boohooing over me trying to hold on i will be in a better place than i was

T.L. Ryder said:
"You can get all your "what to do if I'm dead" paperwork in order ..."

...And always, always, let someone know where you are and when you plan on checking in next. ..."

Hi!
Thanks for the nudge; I'll get back on this paper project soon! :( (I loathe paperwork too...)
And thanks for the reminder; I'll replace my usual habit with your emphatic suggestion! :)

ganto, thank you for the welcome, and stating EXACTLY my sentiments!!

I've been having reservations about this community since I feel I'm on the fringe of even this fringe community. Since becoming aware of this community, I'd been learning and practicing as much as possible.
On the forums, I'm doing my best to be sociable and helpful. At times, I even felt a bit of joy and excitement. Though, in less than two months of being a member, I'd already been admonished twice, and it's feeling patriarchal once again. It seems like just a microcosm of society in whole.
I just had to vent... :(

What I like about this "community" is there seems to be folks from all walks of life. From what some would call down on their luck, to some fortunate folks. Lots of good info here. " a fool with his money is soon parted". No fools in here!

Hi Gardenias and welcome!

I'm new to the forums as well and just finding my way around. Wishing you the best!

rickr, thank you for your timely response!
I was about to crawl back in my cave again until another community opportunity cropped up. ..unlikely event since how much more fringier can a community get!?

Sparrow, thanks for your warm welcome and best wishes!!

After your encouraging response, something told me to reread your intro thread, and an excerpt of this post help me put things back in perspective:
"...A lot of big hearted people sure you have some that are short but that often is just the medication talking or maybe their sugar is off. I know I am not a happy camper all the time. We all get crossthreaded a little here and there. ..."
I keep forgetting this fact! ...so it's just more empathetic practice for me!