Movie Suggestion Thread

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shiny - thanks Qxxx! :)
Keep 'em coming! :)

I remember watching "Birds of Prey" when it was on broadcast TV, and liked it. The library system has it, so I might rewatch it.

Since you mentioned Will Smith, I particularly liked him in:
  • "Seven Pounds" (very thoughtful movie about atonement (critics hated it probably because they were culturally incapable of grokking that concept))
  • "I Am Legend" (SciFi/post-apoc remake of the classic Charlton Heston starring "The Omega Man")
  • "Concussion" (partly because I'm a TBI survivor, albeit the movie was about recurring football induced Brain Injuries)
Have not seen "Suicide Squad", but am open to it, largely for Will Smith. :)

Just finished the first seven seasons of "Game of Thrones" (spread out over a month), so have kind of a void in my viewing. :)
This week's planned/expected DVD is the sixth season of "Endeavour", the latest incarnation of a British cult mystery series that I grew up on. PBS broadcast it this spring, and I was particularly miffed to miss it, then delighted to find the Library has a copy. :)

compassrose:
I'm also a big Judi Dench fan. :)

Redbox clarification:
I have occasionally used Redbox in the past, while travelling (i.e. no Library privileges).
Had been tempted this past year, but have resisted, partly to save money on rentals, partly because the closest one is about 20 miles from my main resupply town.

I Am Legend with Will Smith, A#1. Endeavour is great. Games of Thrones got a bit tiresome after 7 years, except in the Maisie Williams scenes.

Suicide Squad is much more the Batman/Joker type of high-camp craziness than the recent Marvel Hero movies, which are pretty formulaic and written for kids. You can watch some youtube previews of SS.

I don't want to lead you too far down the path to the dark side. so a couple not too harse that I like, Jeremy Renner is great: Bourne Legacy and Wind River.

Thanks!
Jeremy Renner is on my thinking-women's-hunks list, and I hadn't heard of "Wind River" so have added it to my Requests list.
I'm rather fond of "Bourne Legacy", and particularly love the female Doc's "read" line when being grilled by the fake-shrink/assassin. :)

Sounds like your path to the dark side is going my way, so keep 'em coming! :)

I trust you're a "Firefly" fan? Based on you referring to me as "Kaylee Serenity" in another thread. :)

My all-time favorite GoT scene is where Maisie's character meets Brienne. :)
I've seen Maisie in "Doctor Who", but nothing else, and would welcome worthy recommendations. Actually, pretty much any GoT actors/actresses. :)
It was nice to see "Qyburn" in "Endeavour". :)
I still have not seen GoT season 8, and the DVD's release date is early December, so I've got to fiddle with my homebrew streaming device or continue to wait.

Wind River deals with a very harse subject matter, but Jeremy and the FBI lady are great in it. The season of Dr Who that ended with Maisie was good overall, but the "Bird" episode was rather clumsy. One of the very best DW seasons was a few years ago with Christopher Eggleston and Billie Piper. "Bad Wolf", indeed. I have all of the Firefly and Serenity dvds.

Hell or High Water was very good. Similar Live, Die, Repeat. Love Emily Blunt. I thought "Cloud Atlas" was brilliant, but people give it either 1* or 4*, very mixed responses. Mess or masterpiece?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/is-cloud-atlas-an-unholy-mess-or-a-brilliant-masterpiec-5955079

Just found 8 old black and white Mr. Moto movies and a bunch of Charlie Chan's on Youtube! Oh boy!!!

Cool. I notice old Alfred Hitchcock movies on YouTube. He started making movies in the 1920s The 39 Steps is a real classic.