Motorcycling and Nomads: Who's doing it?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0750.JPGJust picked up this KLR 250.  I'm nervous about the hitch carrier.

Attachments

• IMG_0750.JPG
    IMG_0750.JPG
    964.8 KB
I just bought a used harley road glide bagger, following this thread for futher insight into potentially living out of it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Cobra246 said:
I just bought a used harley road glide bagger, following this thread for futher insight into potentially living out of it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you're on Facebook check out minimalist motorcycle vagabonds. Lots of good info and inspiration on there.

Travel Lite Falcon F23TH.jpgWe just bought a Travel Lite Falcon F-23TH. There will be three of us using it. My wife Fran and I along with our adult son Max. Max and I have two middle-weight motorcycles. Mine is a Honda NC700XD and Max's is a Honda CB500X. Both bikes together weigh just under 1000 lbs.

Attachments

• Travel Lite Falcon F23TH.jpg
    Travel Lite Falcon F23TH.jpg
    335.6 KB
kpinvt said:
Max and I have two middle-weight motorcycles. Mine is a Honda NC700XD and Max's is a Honda CB500X.

The Honda NC700XD is a neat bike....I have a friend who bought one and he loves it...and I rode it briefly and was impressed. Nice fit-n-finish...refined...and that DCT is cool...twist and go!

I think he gets about 65 mpg average around town with some short highway runs...impressive!

And the CB500X...I have not ridden one or even seen one in person....yet!

I'm sure that you guys will have some fun out there.....

:cool:

I have a older Kawasaki KLR 250 that rides on a hitch mounted carrier. It's my grocery getter and tooling around the trails bike.

Sailing VANessa said:
I have a older Kawasaki KLR 250 that rides on a hitch mounted carrier.

Did you have to add any extra beef to the rear springs?

slow2day said:
Did you have to add any extra beef to the rear springs?

No, bike only weighs about 260 lbs. My van is a 3/4 Ton Chevy.  Plenty beefy.

landed a gig as lead tech at a major midwest triumph dealer. can get modest deals for people. we got a used 2011 tiger 800 and nice KTM 390 duke.

I have a friend with a skoolie. This is his second bus and this has been his set up on both. He started with a KLR and now has a BMW Xcountry. He's 6'4" so the smaller bikes are not really an option, though he has ridden my CT200.

I hope to get a shorter 5 window bus and pull a trailer for my bike(sssss). Making the decision on which one(ssss) will be difficult.

b375a2ff9767bdaa36cff9c1682b8936.jpg

28days to/from Alaska, camping with 48liters of cargo. Almost had enough for full time living.

85774c7a36d1b46f81d1273ab28e0e85.jpg

Came home and did a track day on the same set of tires.

0a271dc773bfe552c78f58509d9b3db8.jpg

1966 CT200(originally 90cc, I don't know why they called it a 200?)

5e089ced307c21a3029a2f213ee146e9.jpg

Even a Buell Blast will do light off road :D

Chitza, does your friend happen to be Don? He was at RTR a couple years ago. Really nice guy from Tennessee I believe.

masterplumber said:
Chitza, does your friend happen to be Don? He was at RTR a couple years ago. Really nice guy from Tennessee I believe.

Hahaha. Yes. Don, Yeti, Dred. He goes by many names here in Alabama. He's here now for a spell. We're riding this afternoon.

just got a 1982 Suzuki dr100 promised my mother I would never ride a moto while she was alive, kept my promise

Attachments

• suzuki small - 1.jpg
    suzuki small - 1.jpg
    163.7 KB
Chitza said:
Hahaha. Yes. Don, Yeti, Dred. He goes by many names here in Alabama. He's here now for a spell. We're riding this afternoon.

Tell Don hi for me. He'll remember me as Ben's dad, the young guy who was going to ride an old XR 250 to Panama. Ben's bike died the day before he was to cross the border, but he did take my old work truck to Baja for a couple months. He's currently on a bike in New Zealand, and heads to Australia next month.

Here is what I have done FYI. In the past three years, mounted a 600lb hitch carrier from Amazon on my 2007 Chevy minivan. Beefed up the rear with air shocks and air bags. Extra reinforcement to hitch carrier from frame.
Minivan is mobile base camp for moto touring. Still manage to get 20-24 mpg at modest 62 mph.
Have had three motos from Husky SM 610 (350#), FZ6R 480#), and currently FZ07 (400#). See my intro for pics.

Latest posts