Motivation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overgrown

Reaction score
I am in a slump, I purchased a van, and I have picked up a power bank, a fridge, and a max air fan, and now, I'm not sure if I am feeling overwhelmed or if it is the fact that summer is still hanging on (I don't do well in heat because of health reasons) or a combination of both... but I can't seem to get over the hump and move on to the next step and start my build, not planning anything overly complicated because I know that it is going to change over time due to necessity and experience.

just thinking out loud trying to make sense of it all...

I felt the same way recently, but I snapped out of it. Thank goodness. I think when the weather changes you will feel motivated again. I can't tolerate the heat either, so the rain and a couple days of cool weather is what helped me.

It doesn’t take a lot to simply go camping a few days at a higher elevation or on a coast with sea breezes. Think of the van as a metal tent and travel to someplace cooler for a few days like a mini vacation. Bet you will find a few things you would like to improve and be rested and motivated to do so.

Just breath and go at your pace. Since I decided to slow er down I’m getting more done! Are you planning on being around anyone? If you make it to quartzsite decemberish you may find some help and motivation...

Agree with others, just breathe.

fun part is getting the van and making the leap.......and buying crap to build........but then ya gotta build it.......to many that is NOT the fun part LOL

or is it for you?

I am the type to buy already mostly kinda done 'for me' to use type person but I am also NOW older so.........take your time, think what ya want and do the work. Work to take care of you is always a very satisfying measure in one's life if they require that. I kinda don't LOL

Can ya maybe get some friend involved in a way to help ya if you need it? Like make it a fun project to move forward in a way you might desire?

No idea on 'who you are' but you will find your way forward, remember the road is calling so get'er done and get out there!! best of luck

The heat has been bothering me too. Maybe things will automatically pick up for you when the weather cools. Hope so!

Just to throw one more possibility into the pot -- for me sometimes that "blah" feeling is a cover for sheer terror. Especially when doing something new. And quite often the fear is misplaced and whatever it was turns out to be easy. I still remember when, after 30 years in the US northeast, I moved to Honolulu, and the first morning I did not want to get out of bed because I didn't know where anything was or how to get around. ... It's not like I hadn't traveled, or moved a lot, before, but I think that was the first time I did it without knowing anyone in the new town.

You will probably never do or feel anything more ridiculous than not wanting to get out of bed on your first day in Hawaii, so be of good cheer ;)

I really like the advice above -- especially about taking small, fun steps and not rushing. You're the boss of this.

Just to cover all bases, make sure you're feeling OK physically and if you haven't had a checkup recently, might be worth getting one.

Good luck and have fun!

When the weather is hot your body reacts to it by slowing you down to protect you from physical harm. This is a real thing, accept that you need to be slow to survive the heat.

Weather is always going to be an issue in Van Life. Sometimes it is perfectly glorious, other times very frustrating. Definitely a roller coaster ride of emotional ups and downs in reaction to weather conditions. You are closer to nature, much like a farmer is, or anyone who works outdoors, the daily weather is going to impact your life.

Yesterday and this morning the weather is not pleasant, the remnants of a hurricane off the Pacific Coast has created lots of rain. Of course that means not a lot of solar input and it is damp and chilly. Not a happy, excited to be out camping, kind of day. But tomorrow is coming 🌞

Slumps befall us all at times.

I find it helpful to keep a list of what I need to do, then make myself get some tasks crossed off there every day.

In the hot weather, I do what I need to early in the mornings.

Good luck.

If there's no rush to get all of it done now. Break it down in order of necessity - what do you need done first. Then, take that project on in easily manageable steps. Try to get a step done every day, or every week. Before you know it, it'll all be done, and you can look back on a steady rate of mini-accomplishments. If you get overwhelmed, take a little time of for yourself to relax and as others have mentioned, breath.

Keeping a project journal really helped me. I explained to myself what the next steps would be, and how I might go about them. It really helped me organize, prioritize, and focus. Also, I kept a main project and a "meantime" project. One thing to do, and another thing to study further. One project to work on, and another to switch to while I worked through anything unexpected with the one. I broke my build into "phases" - floor, frame, insulate, roof gear, plumbing, power and branches, etc. I did one thing as I collected components and materials for the next thing. At some points I had a lot of components stacked up. That can seem overwhelming, but I had to remind myself that I wanted to have the components on hand so I could be sure to leave room for each one. I also worked sufficiently slowly, so that all the good ideas could occur to me before I got too far along to use them. It's a real puzzle putting all those systems into the tiny space. Have fun with it.

When I get into a slump I go and sit in the van. If its too hot get a I get small usb fan until the roof fan is put in. There I just something to start building my van. lol, I have been doing this all summer. Almost ready now. Heading for a winter in the desert!

Good luck to you!

Tell us about your van. Feel free to post some pics. What's your layout? What do you dream about doing in it once you're done?

It took me more than 6 months to set up the van.
Do ONE thing at a time.
You don't have to rush into anything. If doing just one thing takes you a week, then in a month you'll have done 4 or 5 of them.
Write a note on the fridge of what you want done / installed, and start from the easy stuff.
Getting one thing done is a real motivation to do the next.

I would start with cleaning up and removing seats, if there are any at the back. A cleaned up space is like a white board you can draw your plan in.
Good luck.

I am in a slump, I purchased a van, and I have picked up a power bank, a fridge, and a max air fan, and now, I'm not sure if I am feeling overwhelmed or if it is the fact that summer is still hanging on (I don't do well in heat because of health reasons) or a combination of both... but I can't seem to get over the hump and move on to the next step and start my build, not planning anything overly complicated because I know that it is going to change over time due to necessity and experience.

Check out girl camper on Facebook. They will help you and give you great ideas!!

the temps are starting to fall and I am finding myself getting excited about getting The Golden girl put together, got it kinda mapped out in my head.

Welcome to the

Slumps can be a healthy thing if handled constructively. It can be a good time to plan aheead some. If your Van is an empty cargo Van one of the first things to consider would be a plywood floor laid over the original metal floor. Then possibly carpet or vinyl tile over that. To me it all seemed to start with a floor to build on. Then a bed and a kitchenette/cabinet. (see the first link in the signature line at the bottom of this post)

I'm presently working on an overhead console for my rig which will house the sound system, CB radio, and 12 volt power outlets for hand held search light. But I work on the Rig some, then on the Boat, and then on the house so it doesn't become drudge. The console is similar to this but thinner and more streamlined and made of plywood. It is similar to this Mercedes Truck's console..

Overhead Radio Console

Last edited:
Always wait till the last minute to do what should have been done months ago. I got home from a sad road trip back in april. I had carburator trouble on the way south, I had it rebuilt in Pahrump and it ran worse than before. I made it back to the Washington coast & it died in the driveway. Finelly got a new carb a week ago & got it running great. Spent the last week rebuilding the inside of the camper, new fridge, Jackery 1800. rebuilt the storage area.