Moderation and deleted posts

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

WanderingRose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The moderators here make a concerted effort to keep threads on their original topic, consistently, routinely, predictably deleting runs of off topic posts while lightly admonishing posters to please stay on topic.

That said, seeing this absolutely consistently during the 4 or so years I have been here, their consistent behavior does not stop veteran posters from repeatedly going off on tangents within threads.

I’ve been guilty of that, as well, both starting the tangents and contributing to them, causing me to have posts deleted, but I am trying to pay closer attention to what I respond to.

And that is completely separate from political posts, which I try even harder to avoid.

It seems pointless, to me, to continue to do something that will predictably require moderator intervention and then complain about said, completely predictable intervention.

It seems that there are pretty clear rules of civility here, where we choose to participate, so it might be good for us all to be more mindful of our posts, unless the intention is simply to complain about moderator intervention.

There, I said it. ☺️

RoamerRV428

Reaction score
I’ve been guilty of that, as well, both starting the tangents and contributing to them, causing me to have posts deleted, but I am trying to pay closer attention to what I respond to
It seems pointless

There, I said it. ☺️
well you said alot about you in truth. You see it and still do it LOL
never saying this is ALL about you, human nature point blank and one thing we WILL never change until the person doing the 'bs'ing and ramming home their opinon or going off topic to ram it home' as they want others to follow will just always be.

Key is smarten up people before ya post and where ya take it.
Darn hard to do just that for alot of people but it is what it is and that is full truth and there I said it HA

and those people is why we require mods :)

KarlH

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It annoys me on forums when tech terms are abbreviated. Unless you are in the tech field, you aren't going to know what they mean.
Back when laptops had Personal Computer Memory Card International Association (PCMCIA) slots, the joke was that it stood for "People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms."

Morgana

Reaction score
I am trying to pay closer attention to what I respond to
and I had better pay closer attention to what thread I'm posting into.
I tend to pick stuff up from New Posts and just jump in.
but one thread's meat is another thread's poison :oops:

Morgana

Reaction score
Yes for obvious reasons as clearly explained above.

WanderingRose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that the goal of keeping threads on topic is to preserve the purpose and integrity of the thread.

So that someone searching for information here can hopefully find it, as opposed to becoming frustrated (perhaps to the point of going elsewhere) by rambling, off topic discussion and argument that must be sorted thru to find what they are looking for.

Right? ☺️

Morgana

Reaction score
That's certainly my understanding (now that it's gotten through my thick head).

a thought: I wonder if it would be worth putting this into the explicit forum rules somewhere. I can see why people would want to keep those rules short and simple and focused on civility. But since going off-topic is grounds for getting a post deleted >> tons of pushback >> more work for the mods and more stress ... also, no 10-Commandments-type rule >> more temptation for us chatty types ... maybe it would be worth making the rule official.

(apologies if it's already in there somewhere and I missed it)

(and yes I do realize that there's 10 in every crowd that will ignore it anyway because they're mistaking this for the Anarchists' Forum ;)

rvwandering

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This thread was started to familiarize everyone with Bob Well's vision of why this forum was created because it's easy to miss that information especially if you've recently joined the forum.

It was not meant to be a platform for debating closed threads and discussing deleted posts or other topics. I have moved the latest group of that kind of post to this thread - Off Topic Posts Moved Here