Minimum Shower Dimensions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanSkulk

Reaction score
I would like to know what shower dimensions people have generally found acceptable.
I want to make it big enough so that it's not annoying to use but as small as possible otherwise.
My brother suggested adding a little ledge for washing feet. Any ideas are welcome.

that is kind of a personal preference type thing.

what are you comfortable with?
how big are you?
are you agile enough to wash your feet standing up?

for me I have never used a RV shower that is big enough. some body part is always hanging out. LOL

highdesertranger

This is a pretty common minimal space arrangement.  If you don't mind being touched by a wet shower curtain, this and a 24-26" hot water heater catch basin will suffice.  It is a low commitment option if you don't find it workable, too.

Sounds like your talking about a hard shower since you mentioned ledge. I suggest get in the corner of two walls with two yard sticks acting as the other two walls. Start at 24 x 30 and move the yardsticks around until you fill like you have enough room and then look at the yard sticks, you have your optimum dimensions. That's what I did and 24 x 30 is what I came up with for my build.  Have fun!!

Large enough to allow you to pick up anything you drop, either by bending over or squatting. Or, to go by a sign I once saw in a laundromat advising against over-stuffing washers: Leave Room for the Water. Oh, and when calculating the dimensions, don't forget enough height to elevate the floor for a drain.

Personally, I like my showers huge so I have room to step in and out of the spray and can dry myself while standing in there without the towel getting wet from the walls. So showering in a vehicle is out of the question for me. I sponge bathe instead, like our ancestors. We don't need water beating down on us to get clean. It feels good, but it's not necessary. If I really hanker for a shower, I use one that's in a building.

Yeah, I get that it’s going to be different for everybody. I guess I’m just wanting a starting point.

The wet shower curtain bugs me. At least I think it would. I might not mind it if I tried it.

I was thinking about building a mock-up that I could put in the back yard for testing purposes, but even foam board is $15 a sheet and I would need four to do a proper mock-up. I could afford it, but seems like a lot of money for a something I’m going to throw away. Especially if I have to construct multiple versions.

Yard sticks in the corner would be a great way to narrow things down. At least I would start out with a better idea. Maybe one foam board and a corner.

Good advice on bending over to pick things up. I wasn’t thinking about that at all. That will probably have the biggest impact on the overall size.

If I could get a way with 24” x 30” I would be very happy.

All good input. Thanks a bunch.

BTW, I'm thinking of living full time in a high top van, but I currently have a full time 40 hour job for which I have to shower (or something comparable) every morning. That's why I'm focusing so much on having access to a proper shower in the van. I know sponge bathing and getting a decent shower at a truck stop once in a while works for a lot of folks (and would normally work for me), but with my situation, I would not feel comfortable being un-shampooed at work. Especially since coworkers are going to know I'm living in the van. I don't need them whispering behind my back that I don't have proper hygiene.

Reg8783 said:
I was thinking about building a mock-up that I could put in the back yard for testing purposes, but even foam board is $15 a sheet and I would need four to do a proper mock-up.

Use cardboard boxes.

And if the shower is for a van, remember one side would be curved.

Reg, just remember diagonally across above dimension is over 3 feet , for stooping over. Reg, I made my wet curtain shower with sheer curtains so they are not stiff, I use the track you screw to the ceiling with the pullies. The track dead ends into a little cubbyhole for storage. I made the track larger than the pan (36x36) vs (24x30) for the pan for elbow room. Pan walls are 6" so the curtain stays put. After shower, pour pan into slop bucket (1 gallon). You may not like this option but it sure works for me. I don't want to tie up (permanently) this much space for a 3/4 minute a day activity. Good luck finding your solution!

I've seen what Bagabum suggested above (larger curtain area) done with a retangular PVC frame, too.  Lots of options.

bagabum, you have inspired me to take a second look at doing a curtain based option. I do really like the idea of have the shower disappear completely when your not using it. My biggest concern was having to leave the curtain stretched out for a long time to dry. I'm not aware of these sheer curtains, but I will look into it.

In my hard wall shower design I was working on a way to make it expandable. It would have a section you could pull out for showering and you could leave pushed in otherwise and it would still allow for use of a toilet when pushed in. I'm just in the research phase of this, so I don't know for sure yet if my design is practical.

I am using the folding dog bath tub now . It's about 32" hexi circle and plenty deep so the curtains stay in. The sheer curtains are those simple curtains you can kind of see through. They are not stiff water proof vinyl's, you just need to catch the splashes. They dry quickly and I have ceiling pulley track just go into a cubby hole.

I use a 108" shower curtain liner to gime me a roughly 24" square shower area. Unlike hard walls, a liner will give when you need a little more elbow room and they dry quickly. Mine is mounted on a T track system with rollers (RV type).

Here is a link to the curtain: https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Nylon-Mildew-Resistant-Curtain/dp/B00XWLFVYO

It can be cut to height needed as it is a fabric.

Track: https://www.amazon.com/RECMAR-4108-Bendable-Curtain-Track/dp/B002UC2UFO

Rollers/carriers: https://www.amazon.com/RECMAR-4121-...BFJ4JW7QP7G&psc=1&refRID=CB0NE7ZQEBFJ4JW7QP7G

Join a gym in the neighbourhood, shower at work if possible, a shower is nothing but problems in a van, you have to carry a ton of water, need a ton of grey water storage, moisture build up, someway of heating the water, fuel, pumps, all of these things take enormous percentage of your space and money to purchase, maintain build and plan. Sponge bath and join a gym, I shampoo using one of my cooking pots to wet and rinse, heat water on stove. Once you get used to it, it is not a problem, probably takes less time.

How long does it take sheer curtains or liners to dry? Will they dry when stowed or is that asking too much?

I do plan to utilize a gym to the extent possible. In Pre-Covid times that was what everyone was doing, I don't know what my options are now.

My liner is around the roof vent. When I am through, I turn the fan to blow in on high and close the curtain around it. I then go outside while it dries. How quickly it dries depends on the humidity level. Never put them away wet as they will mildew.

Reg8783 said:
How long does it take sheer curtains or liners to dry? Will they dry when stowed or is that asking too much?

I do plan to utilize a gym to the extent possible. In Pre-Covid times that was what everyone was doing, I don't know what my options are now.
Keep working on this Reg. To have to load up and drive into town somewhere to take a simple shower is going to become a nuisance. The sheer curtains really don't get that wet because you ARE NOT  taking a high pressure, steamy, 15 minute shower with mist and spray blasting every inch of the curtain. I am dipping into 110 deg water out of an 8 quart pot with a plastic cup with tiny holes in the bottom and strategically washing off soap and salt very efficiently. Do not pour the water out of the cup, you will waste it, drill the holes.  Point the cup at different parts of the body as the cup drains out through the holes. When you wash your arms, hold them against your body when rinsing so the runoff drains down your body and legs. "Efficiency" I have done this so long now that I really don't even get the curtain wet, maybe a couple of splashes on it here and there.  This will get you squeaky clean. You will love a clean shower, makes you sleep better. And use a bucket for the bathroom, you don't want to have to drive into town for that either.  Heat the water outside if it's hot, heat it inside if it's cold.