Mini-Van High-Top; Grand Caravan w/Towing Package Where and how much roof can be cut

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RVArt

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I have a Mini-van that is low miles and in really good condition.  I have the skills and tools to make and install a High-Top which will not be made of fiberglass, but probably will be made with aluminum clad plywood.  I am wondering just how much of the roof can be opened up on a Dodge Caravane Body and what should not be removed, such as a support member or two (in the roof area).  Since this vehicle has no frame on it's own, but has a Uni-Body type design I do not know to do this.   I have tried to find out what can be done to A Mini-Van but with no results.  Can anyone help with this so I can study up on how it could/should be done.  Best Regards.

I believe there is a company that makes a pop top for them. I wouldn’t mess with a unibody as I doubt there is much tolerance structurally.

Thank you bullfrog; I did see some pictures of pop tops for Mini-Van and one company makes a very small/minimal High-Top.  This lead me to wonder about how much they are cutting out.  :dodgy:

"will be made with aluminum clad plywood."

don't do it. beside the structural integrity part it that will be way to much weight up high for a mini-van.

highdesertranger

These flexible "Pop Top's" seem to be common on smaller vehicles. Whether they be mini-vans or small SUV's like the Honda Element.

[img=400x300]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...xJqgnDaiSrp_BarYstTpWsb9KIE9dikzXofDsZs[/img]

Very cold or inclement weather may make the use of it impossible though.

But there are loads of ideas for expanding space in smaller vehicles. Those pesky Designers just keep thinking them up.

[img=601x461]https://netdna.coolthings.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/doubleback1.jpg[/img]

I have a dodge caravan with a pop top it was done professionally. It was made in 1993 so unlike today the roof was made of fairly thick Fibreglass so likely heavier then modern made. The section they cut out is substantial, from about a foot behind the windshield tp around two feet from the rear door. I think it is possible to make a light weight top using plywood. You would have to use 1/8 to 3/16 ply or 3 to 5 mm with thin bracing built similar to plywood boats. I would probably use fibreglass over the ply or cover in some kind of wrap like they use sometimes on leaky camper roofs. A few years back a young women and her brother the builder built one with pictures on here but I cringe to think how that 2x4 heavy ply monstrosity is working out for them. Good luck

I was always intrigued with the idea of building a van hightop using the "Stitch and glue" method of boatbuilding; joining thin sheets of plywood at the edges with wire or ties then reinforcing those joined edges with a fibrous epoxy resin mix. Then cover the whole thing with fiberglass and epoxy. The whole top structure could come in weighing around 100 pounds. As a van hightop the whole thing could be built in place on the van itself. 

Stitch and glue boat building

A far as cutting out the roof structure; for many years conversion van companies have been cutting out van roofs with no regard to structural loss. If I was doing it I would cut out the sheet metal of the roof, leaving the structural ribs in place until the hightop roof was complete, then cut away those ribs.

There are a bunch of wheelchair accessible minivans running around, so it can be done. I don't know if they have durability or structural issues. The fact I couldn't find anything online about those problems sort of makes me think there aren't issues or that they're so minor no one had bothered to write about them. But I could be totally wrong.

bonvanroulez said:
I was always intrigued with the idea of building a van hightop using the "Stitch and glue" method of boatbuilding; joining thin sheets of plywood at the edges with wire or ties then reinforcing those joined edges with a fibrous epoxy resin mix. Then cover the whole thing with fiberglass and epoxy. The whole top structure could come in weighing around 100 pounds. As a van hightop the whole thing could be built in place on the van itself. 

Stitch and glue boat building

A far as cutting out the roof structure; for many years conversion van companies have been cutting out van roofs with no regard to structural loss. If I was doing it I would cut out the sheet metal of the roof, leaving the structural ribs in place until the hightop roof was complete, then cut away those ribs.
So what happens to the plastic ties do they just come out once you epoxy it then more coats are added?.cool idea

Thank you for all of your feedback and time everyone. Regarding the weight issues and the wind problem which could be significant if the high-top is high enough; my van has a towing package which includes heavy suspension (Springs) and other things to allow for towing. A decent Pop-Up would be great; but cold weather and the non-permanent nature of the space which it adds is not my first choice. I would like something fixed in size where I do not have to close it up, there-by loosing all that space when driving or at other times. I may do something like cut out a small area that can allow access to storage in the High-Top and then when in travel mode I take down the heavy stuff and place the items down low to lower the center of gravity. My van also has no windows in the rear; so a High-Top could allow vents and some other kind stealth friendly window/portal as well as a place to put some solar panels out of sight. These are just some ideas that I have for needing to be stealth able and able to get 25 or so Mpg. The weight of the Top could be kept to around like having a boat on a rack or even less than rooftop carrier that is filled with stuff. I actually planned on making a strip canoe years ago; I never thought about that process for a Van-Top. It's always good to have more choices.

a home made high top is not going to be stealth at all.

you have a tow package on a mini van? I missed that. what are the ratings? GVWR and GCWR?

highdesertranger

Gross Weight 6050. lbs., Maximum Towing Capacity 3600. lbs., Curb Weight 4150. lbs., Maximum Payload 1800. lbs., (From Edmunds.com listing for this van "Tradesman" which is built on a Grand Caravan Base). I can make a High-Top that looks like a professional made it with out any trouble. It will not be made or mounted in any way that looks handyman made. I worked in the Cabinet Making, Carpentry and RV Service and Repair fields for many years. I have education in Sculpture and Graphic Design and my Father was an Airplane Mechanic and then Carpenter and Woodworker who owned his Building Company. I can can do a really good job on all aspects making and installing a High-Top. I'm going for a look that fits the vans shape and looks somewhat like a Work-Van or Service-Van, just with a little more headroom and also pull a small trailer that I can put in storage when needed. The towing package added some weight to the Van in the form of heavier suspension components. It has a stiff ride. Thank for your question and response. I appreciate the help!

Take a small flat bottom boat, flip it over and mount it on the roof with a discreet unseen seal on the inside. Park at boat ramps and fishing / outdoor supply stores.

your numbers are off or Edmunds is off. for one thing a Tradesman van is a Dodge full size van not a mini van. go open your driver door and read the little decal on the door jamb and come back with those numbers. I still say a high top on a mini van is going to stick out like a sore thumb. highdesertranger

Here is the the Van Model: https://www.edmunds.com/used-ram-cv-tradesman/
My Local RMV called it a Ram Tradesman when I was there for plates. You are right Flying Kurbmaster. I may be too enthusiastic with this idea. To stick out in any way is not good for stealth camping. I'll keep working on this plan. I like that Boat idea bullfrog. I believe you are right highdesertstranger; I am going to get attention with this one-of-a-kind Mini-Van with a High-Top, however well it is made and fits/matches with the style and size of the Van itself. I am probably not going to get the result that I am seeking for at least an 8 out 10 in stealth. All ideas welcome. Thank you!

Poptop ,,,, just buy one and install it yourself that way you can have standing room, when you don,t have to be stealth or during the day when no one cares what you are doing parked on a city street, bring the top down at night, a Few blocks away, when you want to disappear in a row of parked cars and get a good nights sleep, best of both world, my top which is quite heavy compared the new ones is real easy to get up and down like 30 seconds all done. The new pop tops are very low profile with those flexible solar panels stuck to the roof you would be pretty stealth. Also fuel economy won’t be jeaapordized. Check out some pictures from GTRV out of California they were the manufacturers of mine back in 1993 they still make them of out dodge caravans. Pretty pricy but nice. Ask them who makes their tops or what they would charge to sell one or even install one for you my guess around 5 grand installed but I am only guessing, I really have no idea for all I know it could be 2 thousand, or 10.

This Poptop idea is a great solution; I am exploring all the great things about it. For all who are interested, I came up with these two people (which stood out for me, from others that I looked at) who have made their own Poptops:

also: and this Man's design, which is on His Truck Cap: .

The basic ideas shown in these two DIY Poptops can be applied a lot of roofs. Using all aluminum metal components, stainless steel fasteners and high quality materials would still, not put much of a dent in funds, compared to buying a manufactured Poptop. The Coroplast (in Videos 1 and 2) seems like it could work. More security, insulation qualities and sound deadening (for sleeping) could be added to these Poptops at a modest cost and skill level. It seems like Reflectix on it's own would not hold-up to repeated folding and unfolding. I do not have any experience with the "supertapes" for outdoor use; but it seems like they could work for backing up areas that need it. Also, there are some very good options to choose from in tent making materials. A standard Tarp could work for the walls to keep the weather out, however the colors are really not-much to choose from, plus they do/can make noise in wind/breeze. Roof-Tops are costly for many people and if one needs or wants to change to a vehicles; a big investment on the roof could really limit a persons choices if the Poptop would not fit on the new Home on wheels.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Coropla...te-Corrugated-Plastic-Sheet-CP4896S/205351385 and https://www.coroplast.com/

RVArt

I’m no expert but I think it’s a great concept and it looks really cool but you can’t re-define rules of physics so I would be concerned about the structural integrity of taking out so much of the roof connect in a minivan however I would suggest thinking of a school bus or a small Skooly and putting something up on the roof such as a pop-up tent for sleeping that could be brought down and stored compactly instead of cutting the roof which would be the same affect but wouldn’t damage the roof in case you were to get in an accident