Million Ways to Make Meatloaf

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hahaha I was just seeing if y'all were paying attention. probably not going to the van build because I will be doing my own build. highdesertranger

My sister uses bacon bits (the kind that Hormel sells in a shelf stable little plastic jar) an egg and some oatmeal in hers. Absolutely no sauce on the top but it stays nice and juicy. The bacon meatloaf turns out awesome.

My ex-MIL's go-to meatloaf had cranberry sauce on & in it. Instead of breadcrumbs she used dried stuffing cubes. Half the can of cranberry sauce was mixed in with the meat and half was spread over the top of the loaf. It's the only sweet meatloaf I ever had that I liked.

My fav meatloaf has gr beef, eggs, oatmeal, s&p, chopped sauteed mushrooms, and finely chopped caramelized onions in it. Form the loaf and top with a thin-ish layer of caramelized onions. (No ketchup necessary) Makes a fantastic supper and some of the leftovers can be cubed and added to an omelette for breakfast.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

I usually dont put rice in my meatloaf but my sister puts rice in hers. I like hers best. And yes she precooks the rice.

I noticed the gold flakes bit as well haha. Hey if you can drink it in schnapps why not put it in meatloaf? I saw a youtube video where they reviewed fancy burgers and the idk 2000 dollar maybe burger they tried has gold flakes in the truffle butter and a toothpick stuck in the middle with genuine diamond on the top. Crazy

I've also never heard of celery in meatloaf.....I am learning soooo much. We could write a book about meatloaf.

Actually I have had celery in meatloaf come to think of it. It was good. A nice flavor and made it it little more moist. Maybe I'll have to try that in my next meatloaf

B and C said:
Now I'm hungry for meatloaf.  Doh!  I like to cut the meatloaf into the mashed potatoes and mix well :p

Leftovers on sliced bread with a gob of mayonnaise and with a leaf of lettuce.  My mouth is watering.

My dad's recipe for cold meatloaf sandwiches was Wonder bread, margarine, meatloaf, thin sliced sweet white onion and chili sauce- a spicier ketchup-now I want one

I'm with you, outermostsoul!  The only problem is that my family always eats all of the meatloaf.  I need to start making two...one for them and one for me!

Ground beef..onion...egg... worchester... salt pepper... more or less standard..but here is the kicker... I grew up eating alot of "meatloaf" with those ingredients.. RAW..served on crackers...lol... and it is the very best. I don't eat it that way anymore due to various packing house handling methods.

Of course now that I am an adult I know that this is steak tartare..if you want to get fancy about it. It is incredibly good. Just the smell of raw meatloaf gets me salivating... I wouldnt do it with burger.. u can get  a nice clean cut and grind it yourself... maybe not practical as a  nomad but who needs a stove/oven when you have steak tartare..  the nomadic gourmet??...lolz

I've never heard of oatmeal in meatloaf. I use peanut butter instead of eggs.

Oatmeal like bread is great for capturing the liquids and also as a binder. I use it as a substitute for bread in recipes when I don't have bread to spare. Now peanut butter is a new one although I think I would still prefer the eggs.

I have heard of using oatmeal in place of bread crumbs, I need to try that. I have also used croutons, and tortillas strips not chips but take tortillas and tear them up into strips and use those.

now peanut butter in place of eggs, I have never heard of that. interesting.

highdesertranger

Never heard of using oatmeal but sounds interesting for gluten free diets, or peanut butter as a replacement for eggs which is a binder right? I've heard of using aquafaba in place of eggs which is a good substitute for eggs as a binder.

I forgot to add that crumbled saltine crackers are a good substitute also. Any of the three you have that are getting on in age are good to use and I have noticed no flavor difference.

For me a meatloaf has to be good sized, the purpose is sandwiches the next day so there has to be enough for dinner too.

Ground meat, usually more than one type (beef, pork, chicken or turkey).  Oatmeal, or crumbs, or cooked rice. An egg per pound of meat. Spices of some sort, I used onion soup mix last time.
I generally top it with ketchup (that's how my mom did it) but I've used bbq sauce or tomato paste too.
I've used loaf pans, pie pans & rectangular pans, it slices well in any of those.

Nothing like a meatloaf sandwich the next day!

I had to use stale garlic croutons in place of bread once. Put them in a zip lock and smashed them with a rolling pin. Turned out great. I also used them instead of potato chips on tuna cassarole. They crisped up while heating in the oven.

It’s about to become cool enough that a meatloaf in the oven would be perfect.

I like it cold, too, sliced thinly for sandwiches.

I make mine with two pounds of lean ground beef and one pound of turkey breakfast sausage.

Plus all the usual suspects for ingredients.