MicroDweller

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReinventingMyself

Reaction score
On the first of the month my landlord informed me he is doubling my rent come Feb.1. Apartments are not only rare and outrageously priced in urban Colorado, so are vans. Currently I'm preparing to move into my trusty Honda Element and head to a warmer climate. I am a retired educator, so my income is fixed making remaining in a city with the second highest cost of living in the U.S. unfeasable. (Being a vegan, I would find it a challenge to survive on cat or dog food.) Having often camped in my Element before, I know I can do it. It is frightening to make this move in the middle of a pandemic upswing, frightening to leave family and move from an apartment I've called home for 20 years. But I have always been a minimalist and have faith that everything will work out. In the meantime, I have many questions about power banks, and storage, internet connectivity and on the road security.

Welcome to the VL forums ! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I am truly sorry your being forced into mobile living in such a short space of time. YouTube has hundreds if not more videos of how to live in a small space and be warm. I am loading up my minivan for a 6 week, 4 state adventure as we speak. So the only advice I can give you is from an avid camper. Full time is just a long camping adventure. There are still daily chores and upkeep. In just a different way. I do best when I slow down and do not push myself. Enjoy where you are in the moment.

This site has many experienced nomads that have graciously shared advice and experience. I hope to hear about your travel experience’s in the future.

In your case I would certainly join one of the HOWA caravans. You’ll meet a lot of great people. There is a caravan one wash over from where I’m camped right now in Quartzsite and they seem like a great bunch. If you don’t want to join a caravan you can always come into my camp if you head to Quartzsite. We will be jumping around a little bit and plan a couple of trips

On the first of the month my landlord informed me he is doubling my rent come Feb.1. Apartments are not only rare and outrageously priced in urban Colorado, so are vans. Currently I'm preparing to move into my trusty Honda Element and head to a warmer climate. I am a retired educator, so my income is fixed making remaining in a city with the second highest cost of living in the U.S. unfeasable. (Being a vegan, I would find it a challenge to survive on cat or dog food.) Having often camped in my Element before, I know I can do it. It is frightening to make this move in the middle of a pandemic upswing, frightening to leave family and move from an apartment I've called home for 20 years. But I have always been a minimalist and have faith that everything will work out. In the meantime, I have many questions about power banks, and storage, internet connectivity and on the road security.
Hello from Sheridan WY I'm Steve 58.its super expensive here also my little Dog and I are leaving in my van soon🙂 You are certainly not alone

You are in luck, there is a facebook group page just for you ...Rolling Vegans

As it happens they are having a big group campout, which of course includes some vegan potlucks, from January 28 thru Feb 6 near Quartzsite AZ.
GPS coordinates to the event are
33.760000°N 114.179330°W

Get finished packing up the Element and go meet a whole lot of intersting new "tribe" members to camp with.

One word of Element wisdom, get some rear spring helpers installed ASAP. They are pretty much required when you have a situation of a constant fair amount of weight in the rear. Otherwise the front end lifts up too high after a few month as the rear will sag down.

In the meantime, I have many questions about power banks, and storage, internet connectivity and on the road security.
YouTube is full of millennial van lifers in $80k/1000 hour DIY conversions and digital nomads in expensive factory built RVs. There's nothing wrong with that, but its not a realistic picture for many of us. There are a few vloggers who paint a less idealistic picture. Here are a couple of videos that may be helpful to you.

Start with just the basic's, The essential's for living in a Car. Start out small and cheep to see if the nomad life is what you really want to do. Starting with just a bed, a cooler, stove and a shelf with drawers for food and cloths. Add upgrades later. plan to spend less then you make if possible or need to. To Live cheaply this will equal more money to enjoy life. you only have one vehicle to live in and own, the vehicle of choice should be the best and most dependable, and reliable you can afford, or use what you have. Do not buy it, if you have it or do not need it to live cheaply. Hold on to your money as long as you can before spending it. Power for a cell phone, tablet and led lighting will be important. Try and not use your autos battery to charge then or use. A small power station may be an option you might need. Find a group to help show you how to live as a nomad.

How is that legal?
Most places have laws that rent can only be raised by so much per year.
My uncle is a social worker in Denver. I can ask him if he knows any resources if you are in that metro area.

I had a lot of fun with Lady Bugout. Yeah, it's a bit chichi and I think she actually also owns a nice house, but she's not a millennial, and what she does with her little red Transit Connect is inspiring.

How is that legal?
Most places have laws that rent can only be raised by so much per year.
My uncle is a social worker in Denver. I can ask him if he knows any resources if you are in that metro area.
It varies from city to city. You would be surprised how many places do not have any form of restriction on how much and how quickly rent can be raised.

One of the main reasons I moved out of SF bay was because EVERY year for the last 8ish years I lived there my rent was going up from anywhere between 20 to 40%. I moved to a less expensive neighborhood every year to two years and STILL paid more on an apartment that wasn't as nice as the one I had just left (but was still less expensive than what my new rent would have been).

It varies from city to city. You would be surprised how many places do not have any form of restriction on how much and how quickly rent can be raised.

One of the main reasons I moved out of SF bay was because EVERY year for the last 8ish years I lived there my rent was going up from anywhere between 20 to 40%. I moved to a less expensive neighborhood every year to two years and STILL paid more on an apartment that wasn't as nice as the one I had just left (but was still less expensive than what my new rent would have been).
Haha, that's why I left the Bay Area. Was earning a decent salary as an IT manager but couldnt find an apartment in my range that wasn't in a dodgy neighborhood. Looked at a studio apartment in downtown Oakland. $1500. 20 people showed up the same time I did.
Ended up in a $1000 a month sublet in the Mission for the last 6 months I was there. Living 3 other people in tiny apartment suited for 2 people tops.
My friend at work ended up buying a house in Martinez with his wife around that time. He earned about what I did, but two incomes made that possible.
Still, he and his wife added an hour to their commute just to be able to buy a house!
SF is only for the rich techies now.

So sorry to hear about your huge rent increase. This sounds so upsetting, particularly given how long you've lived in your apartment. I have found in my life that oftentimes when faced with a difficult ending, it turns into an exciting beginning. I hope the same for you.
As far as the context of this time....actually rather than being in a time of upswing, as I see it the plandemic is now in a downswing, look at what's happening in the UK and Ireland with the removal of all restrictions, and in Canada with the thousand of truckers descending on Canadian Parliament in Ottawa to demand an end to mandates. I think this thing is wrapping up around the world.

Regarding power supply...I took an easier but more expensive solution in that I bought a Goal Zero YETI lithium battery, rechargeable via solar panel and/or the van battery when driving. Many others use a power setup that requires more equipment (charge controller, inverter & perhaps more) but can use less expensive marine deep cycle batteries. I'm now looking for a good book on setting up a system using the latter route....

Haha, that's why I left the Bay Area. Was earning a decent salary as an IT manager but couldnt find an apartment in my range that wasn't in a dodgy neighborhood. Looked at a studio apartment in downtown Oakland. $1500. 20 people showed up the same time I did.
Ended up in a $1000 a month sublet in the Mission for the last 6 months I was there. Living 3 other people in tiny apartment suited for 2 people tops.
My friend at work ended up buying a house in Martinez with his wife around that time. He earned about what I did, but two incomes made that possible.
Still, he and his wife added an hour to their commute just to be able to buy a house!
SF is only for the rich techies now.
And vanlifers... There are a LOT of people working in service industry for tech (according to a documentary I watched a while ago anyway) bringing in anywhere from 45 to 65k/year that live in RV's and Vans in San Jose, Mountain View, etc...

When I left the 620 sq. ft 2-bedroom 2-bath I was living in (Yeah it was very very small rooms) was trying to increase my rent from 1495 to 1895. Since the family that owned the company I worked for decided to play War of the Roses with each other I felt it was not worth it to stay. Wish I'd realized vanlife was a thing before that... I enjoyed the food and access to great fishing... once I'm mobile in a van instead of a stationary RV I'm likely to spend some time up there catching up with friends I haven't seen since I left in 2015. Don't even want to know what the rents are now. Last I checked back in 2018 a 600 sq ft 1-bedroom in Mountain View was renting at over $5000/month.

Many others use a power setup that requires more equipment (charge controller, inverter & perhaps more) but can use less expensive marine deep cycle batteries. I'm now looking for a good book on setting up a system using the latter route....
I wouldn't use lead-acid batteries if you are weight or space restricted. If you learn how to do it you can build a good lithium iron phosphate battery system for not a lot of money.

I took an easier but more expensive solution in that I bought a Goal Zero YETI lithium battery, rechargeable via solar panel and/or the van battery when driving. Many others use a power setup that requires more equipment (charge controller, inverter & perhaps more) but can use less expensive marine deep cycle batteries. I'm now looking for a good book on setting up a system using the latter route....
If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to change systems?

If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to change systems?
I'm not wanting to change systems...but I'd like to understand the setup of a system using all these parts, partly because I would like to setup an emergency power system in my house. And not have to rely on Goal Zero batteries for that.

I'm not wanting to change systems...but I'd like to understand the setup of a system using all these parts, partly because I would like to setup an emergency power system in my house. And not have to rely on Goal Zero batteries for that.
if you really want to learn about an emergency power system look up Steven Harris. try this site http://www.battery1234.com/ try and listen to all his information and also look into his other web sites. he can teach you how to build a system using your auto for power outages for you home. he teaches all things power, and has been on Jack shaperro's (SP) radio show for preppers. his teachings work. I know they work, I use them. my auto is currently setup using his teaching me how to do it. and I have used my auto to get my home through 2 power outages that lasted more then 3 days each. on day 3 i still had ice cream and it was still frozen. plus a had tv or a radio and lights.

Yes, I know the Bay Area is sinfully expensive to live. So are a lot of places these days. That is assuming there is anything available AT ALL in the lower to mid-range. Just saying that before we start bashing one particular area, it might be worthwhile to see this is a national - if not a global problem. And probably has something to do with the growing homeless problem.

And it's why many folks get into van life in the first place. And THEN I discovered the high price of legal urban parking!

I wish I knew the solution. Many ordinary folks make buying/owning rental properties their investment for income or retirement. I don't fault that and won't want to unnecessarily restrict it either. But there is certainly something broken here.

Go to youtube n search Bob Wells. He has many many videos that will answer any question you might have. Good luck!