mesh tarps for shade

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogear52

Reaction score
I picked up the emt conduit, fittings and silver tarp for my all season proposed canopy set up. Now I'm wondering if a mesh tarp will give adequate shade (in AZ) while standing up better in the wind. I'm considering having both, each attached to and rolled up on painted pvc pipe so as to be interchangeable and easy to store. The top conduit on tarp holding frame will hold the pvc so will be able to spin roll the tarp out or up. What's your experience with the mesh as shade in AZ sun?

I can't speak to AZ sun, but I have used mesh tarps a lot and like them a lot. The don't flap near as much as a standard tarp. The are less noisy. More durable. The provide a lot of relief from the heat of the sun. I am curious to hear how well mesh works on mitigating the brutal sun nearer the equator.

I use shade cloth in AZ in the winter, but I have no experience with it in the brutal summer heat. Up to about 95 it works really well--but above that I move so can't comment.

The wind blows a lot in the winter in AZ so I long ago I gave up on tarps as not worth the hassle, Shade cloth can easily stay up in all but the very worst wind.

Oddly, black works the best because it absorbs more heat out away from the van.

shade-trailer-001.jpg

You can get shade cloth in various strengths. These strengths may vary the amount of wind resistance any given one will be happy with.

The best one I ever had was army surplus that I picked up in Quartzite one year.

Looks like mesh is a must have then. Use the solid tarp for light wind/rain. Thanks folks.

Wide variety and fairly decent prices http://www.canopiesandtarps.com/ and https://creativeshelters.com/

I suggest you get the woven ones as opposed to the loopy "spun" ones. I had a couple of the loopy "spun" ones. They worked okay up to about 80mph winds. And they caught all the debris in the air (NM is a filthy, trashy state due to the wind) and I had a hard time untangling most of it. My next (freestanding) canopy will actually be two small ones that I can set closely together. One will be shade cloth for the sun and the other will be a tarp for rain as I am going back to rainy places.

I talked to a factory rep last week re shade cloth for another purpose. As part of the conversation she suggested I get the knitted, because the woven will come undone if it gets a hole. Call the 800# of your proposed product and ask them.

I've seen silver ones on the Internet. Would that perhaps be better than black? If it actually is better, it may have other problems with durability or the color flaking off or whatever.

Do shade clothes of this nature keep out mosquitos? Or would traditional screen material be more suitable?

I have used both, and believe both have their place. let's face it in the rain a shade tarp won't cut it. for shade however they excel because they let the heat out. so basically I believe you need both, depending on where you are at. highdesertranger

sprintersnale said:
Do shade clothes of this nature keep out mosquitos? Or would traditional screen material be more suitable?

The shade cloths I've seen would not keep mosquitoes out. Some brands may be tight enough, though.

In the desert (where wind is the norm) I've hung both tarps and shade clothe off the side of my trailer and the shade cloth is better because it lets the wind blow through into my windows, but keeps most of the suns heat out--best of both worlds! A tarp doesn't let the wind blow through so you lose a LOT of cooling affect.

On the other hand, if the wind is too strong, you have to take the tarp down while the shade cloth can stay up-that's pretty common. Sometimes the wind is so bad you have to take down the shade cloth, but that is pretty unusual.
Bob