Medicare vs. Medicare Advantage (open enrollment ends Dec. 7)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mkoontz, can you post a brief intro in our newcomers section? I know you are not technically a newcomer, but being an existing member but with zero posts, your posts were delayed due to the links/attachments and were in the 'approval que'.

Thanks and welcome!

(I will remove this post after a short time being visible here)

I saw a YouTube video that compared a real-life hip replacement costs & all the appointments. These "total" costs included the premiums. Have a look at the picture to see how they compare.
A hip (or shoulder, knee, etc.) replacement is not in my plans if I can help it (almost 69 and still walking, using exercise machines, weights, etc). Lots of people need or will someday need replacements and the information you provide is appreciated. For me, the costs of "smaller" items is more relevant. Everyone approaching 70 (or seeing 70 in the rearview mirror) has some medical issue(s) but hopefully these are manageable and don't lead to expensive medical procedures later; being prepared to deal with expensive procedures is wise, however. I walk 2-3 miles every day with a friend who is 83; he is a role model for me, taking care of his health. Everyone should have good health role models.

I am on the cusp of my initial Medicare decision. I am leaning towards a national MA plan. I do intend to save ~$150/mo to cover co-pays and other charges (about the premium of plan G) so at least I can keep the left over (not the insurance company).
I saw a YouTube video that compared a real-life hip replacement costs & all the appointments. These "total" costs included the premiums. Have a look at the picture to see how they compare.
Big thing we ran into with my wife’s knee surgery was the insurance covered 30 days of a rehab center and as we live remotely someplace with a lot of large steps we were told there would be little chance the insurance would deny it, guess what they did. Spent 4 weeks in a ground level AirBnb at our own expense as twice a week several hundred mile round trips for rehab over back roads wasn’t gonna cut it. My neighbor had the same surgery with 30 days of stay in a rehab center using plan g for a few hundred dollars in fuel costs and bills no requests or planning required. In my opinion there is a big difference between working with an insurance company or original Medicare even though plan G is insurance it seems better regulated somewhat. Again this is only my opinion.

Last edited:
Being 71 years old and having done hard physically demanding work for 40 years even with good healthy habits which help a lot ( I still watch what I eat and my weight somewhat, do yearly physicals and walk most days) your body’s weaknesses start to affect your abilities. Doctors tend to weigh your expected lifespan against benefits of certain treatments. There are lots of ailments related to aging you need to be able to insist on tests and doctor diagnosis of them without you and your doctor having to fight an insurance company to get them done and paid for, just saying saying.