Mechanics

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carry a set of drills saws etc. One of those '6 tools for $299' kind of deals.
But this is all for me building cabinets and stuff in my van as I travel. I haven't done contractor kind of work since I was in college.
As far as tools for the vehicle itself. I have a big old tool box I bought like 20 years ago that has every kind of socket, box end wrench etc. Usually I buy old high mileage vehicles. H/ad a 77 Econoline for a long time. Then a Plymouth Voyager, couple Hondas, Subarus etc. Until I got my current 2017 Transit I'd never owned a car less than 20 years old. So I was familiar with digging under the hood out of necessity.
Have to say, starting with my last Subaru, and now with the Ford, I'm kind of annoyed by the lack of user access.
You really can't fix much. Only run ODB codes and replace things as indicated.
Can't even check more than the oil and coolant level. There is no transmission dipstick! It's 'Lifetime' tranny fluid which is supposed to last 100k. But which was going south on my van at 70k.
So I guess I'm getting a code reader next month.

My van broke down when we were visiting family for Thanksgiving. My father-in-law had an OBD meter, came out, plugged it in, and we learned exactly what it was - the throttle controller had broken (a known issue with Ford Transits). Fortunately, I had RV and motorcycle coverage with AAA, called them out, towed it, got it fixed. He then bought me an OBD reader for Christmas. I love the thing!! Sometimes, it's just a loose spark plug. That meter is priceless. I'm also buying one of those jumper cable battery packs, and I'd love to carry a big metal jerry can of gasoline but there are issues with that... nearly ran out of gas a couple times.

I carry the following tools in my 1/2ton truck camper.
socket wrench set (SAE/metric)
OBD2 code reader
multi-tool with a variety of bits
pry-bar
multi-meter
torque wrench (for lug nuts)
tire repair kit
air compressor
tire pressure gauge
hand saw (for tree branches)
hatchet
capacitor jump starter

Oh, mobile mechanics? Wouldn't one need to carry tools for that line of work?
I've found mobile guys tend to be regional. I mean travelers, I'm wondering of nomadic mechanics are finding work out there. I have a few ideas, but curious to hear from people already out there.

Oh boy, I carry just about every tool in my van to complete any mechanical repair. Some crazy things I carry that I have used for repairs on the road include torque wrench, JB Weld, duct tape, cable ties. RTV sealant, come-along, tire plug kit, torch, Aerokroil, bench vise, drill, sawzall, pulley puller, c-clamp, angle grinder, electrical meter, and a backpack to hike to a parts store.

Parts I carry as spares would be engine drive belt, radiator cap, thermostat, wipers, fuel injectors, brake lines, fuel lines, coolant hose, filters, and all fluids.

Things I wish I could carry that I needed but just aren't practical to carry would be a welder, balljoint press, starter, and a spare tire.

I break down quite often I believe. If I didn't carry the tools to fix things myself, I'd be stuck somewhere for weeks waiting to fork over thousands for a local mechanic to fix something that I can just fix myself. Between changing the clutch on the side of a dirt road outside Rapid City, SD and replacing both passenger control arms, balljoints, and tie rods just outside St. Louis, MO I saved a few thousand dollars from just carrying some tools and being prepared. Did I save more on repair bills versus paying the extra fuel to carry all the tools? You bet! Plus, more importantly time saved by not waiting on someone else to repair it for you.
Thank you for the thorough post, I enjoyed reading it.

Latest posts