Me and my rig.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schofield

Reaction score
Hello. My name is Brad.

My Rig is a 1973 Grumman Ford step van. His name is BGUF which is short for Big Green Ugly F. BG has 4 320 Watt solar cells mounted on the roof. I have a MorningStar solar charge controller and a TripLite inverter. My battery bank is 4 Box store trolling batteries wired into a 48 volt system.  This system doesn’t work to my knowledge right now. I haven’t been full timing in BG for a year. I did full time for the year before. I now am trying to get ready to go full timing again.

BG has a Ford Chassis (e37)with a 1983 Ford 300 cubic inch 6 cylinder engine. Everything is old technology, Carburetor low tech ignition etc.

The step van body was mfged by the aircraft mfg. Grumman  so it is a very high quality and solid aluminum structure. If this baby were mounted on the ground it would be a super deluxe shack!!!
The plan was to support a 120 volt refrigerator to preserve insulin. (I am an insulin dependent diabetic.

I think where I missed the mark was in trying to build to much of an RV interior. I have come to believe that I should be thinking more along the lines of a tent on wheels.

I intend to follow seasonal weather.  I have no timetable as yet.

Welcome aboard!
Like to see the pic's but I think you have to have a few more posts before the site will let them in.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Schofield said:
Tried to post pics.
Cool love the older rigs. You might be able to put a pic in your signature and your Avatar for now.

Glad to hear you have the 300 ci  Ford Motor.  It's one of the best of the inline 6.  The UPS trucks used them for some time and had good luck with them. 

If you wanted to look for one of these bolt on CDI ignition boxes they aren't at all difficult to install and can be switched back and forth to standard ignition if necessary.  There is a small red button at the lower right
side in the photo in this link below that allows for it.  I had one on my old Pickup which had a 223 inline 6 and it made a big difference in lower rpm's and on grades. These are probably around used on eBay etc.
(your distributor still uses points and condensor and nothing changes from stock set up.  This just attaches to your wiring)

These originally cost $50 + dollars but if you buy one look for the switch where you can turn it back to the regular ignition setting.  If you would decide you want one of these.

Mark 10 CDI add on
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1646484
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1646484Mark 10 and similar on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/p/2009784493