mailforwardingnevada.com for residency

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikEXpat

Reaction score
Hi all. Has anyone used this mail forwarder out of Pahrump, NV? Can the address be used to establish residency?

I heard no. but there is an RV park in Pahrump that you can use. other will reply with more experience. I think Bob did a blog on this? highdesertranger

No, the DMV has a list of all the mail forwarders and you can use it for a mailing address no problem but not a resident address. I just drove around and found a house for sale and used it.
Bob

akrvbob said:
No, the DMV has a list of all the mail forwarders and you can use it for a mailing  address  no problem but not a resident address. I just drove around and found a house for sale and used it.
Bob

Don't you get mail from the DMV? 

What if you use your DL for ID and they track you down to that house which is known for something bad?

I'd prefer to have an honest address. There must be a way.

mikEXpat said:
Don't you get mail from the DMV? 

What if you use your DL for ID and they track you down to that house which is known for something bad?

I'd prefer to have an honest address. There must be a way.

Those are things to think about.

The first could be fixed with a change of address card at the P.O.  

The second, well, that could be called the anti-lottery, so, hope you don't win! ;-)  Actually, I have no idea what would happen in that case. I'm guessing they would just conclude that you moved.

Third one, yes.  Not sure how many of the videos you've watched on these topics over at Enigmatic Nomadics, but Bob went into quite a lot of detail.  Plus, as I recall, there are threads hiding in the forums about NV residency that talk about different RV parks.  Why RV park?  You can go there with your new van and "move in" as your new residence for one month.  Then, take your rental receipt (very specific what it needs to list) to the DMV, etc, etc.

If you search and can't find that stuff, let me know.  I found it once.

Vagabound

mikEXpat said:
1: Don't you get mail from the DMV? 

2: What if you use your DL for ID and they track you down to that house which is known for something bad?

3: I'd prefer to have an honest address. There must be a way.

1: In addition to your physical residence address, the DMV allows you to provide a mailing address - which can be a Post Office Box or mail forwarding service - and all your mail will be sent to your mailing address rather than your physical address.  But you must provide a physical residence address.

2:  Don't know, but I would guess you would have better odds of being struck by a meteorite.

3:  As far as I can see, the only way to do this honestly is to actually establish a residence by buying a house or renting an apartment.  See this page:

http://www.dmvnv.com/dlresidency.htm

I don't think you quite understand just how much things have changed in this country in the last twenty years while you've been living abroad, courtesy of the "Patriot Act" and the "RealID Act".

Technically, you would be a homeless person, and many homeless shelter allow the homeless to use their address.  This appears to be acceptable to many DMVs, who don't want to be seen as discriminating against the homeless.

(From MikEXpat)  Has anyone used this mail forwarder out of Pahrump, NV?

No, but I took a good look at their website just now.  Some facts and my impressions:

• Overall appearance of the website is amateurish and bare-bones.  Not quite a "placeholder" website, but not far off.
  • Information overall seemed old.  That was confirmed on the RATEPAGE, which is dated 2011.  The copyright on the bottom of their webpages is 2000.  Makes me wonder what the actual rates are today, or if the place is still in business.
  • They seem to suggest that their address can be used for residency; however, there are no details or explanation.  
  • A business that specializes in mailing who doesn't have the presence of mind to list their own mailing address in their "Contact" info??  Looked again just now and they do list an address on the "mail forwarding" page, explaining to send your Form 1583 there, but never specify if that is their main address, would be the customer's address, etc.
  • There is a mention of lots of letters of recommendation on file, but none of those are provided for viewing on the website.
Overall, lots of red flags for me.  This place might be OK.  They might just be bad at all of this website stuff.  Really bad.  And bad at keeping things up to date.  Really bad.  But if that's the case, how much attention to detail will they show your mail?  Will it arrive 5 years later?  

I'll pass, but thanks for providing the website as a possibility.  Useful for comparison with others.

Vagabound

It's not just in the US. The world doesn't understand the concept of 'no fixed address' but not being homeless!

Technically I have to have a 'real residence' for the following:

Feds - income tax returns, passport and for getting my government 'paychecks', part of which depends on where I live
Provincial (state) for DL, tags and title to vehicle and trailer and my health coverage
Insurance Co. - so they can set my rate
Bank - so they can comply with all the fed's regulations
P.O. - so they can be sure I live in their jurisdiction.
Library - so I can have a library card for the 'right' library

I comply with their residency requirements by using a friends address!

I recently had to 'move' because my g/f sold her house and moved 3 hours drive away in to an area where I would have to get emissions testing on my vehicle. Not that it wouldn't pass, just that it would be downright inconvenient for me to have to comply!

I only wish I had of had a camera when I asked a male friend 'Can I come live with you'...he's a confirmed bachelor and the look of horror on his face was :s :s :s , shocked and appalled. It took a few minutes for the laughter to stop!!

I'd use a homeless shelter if there was one anywhere near me but there's no such thing here.

Vagabound said:
Overall, lots of red flags for me.  This place might be OK.  They might just be bad at all of this website stuff.  Really bad.  And bad at keeping things up to date.  Really bad. But if that's the case, how much attention to detail will they show your mail?  Will it arrive 5 years later?  

I'll pass, but thanks for providing the website as a possibility.  Useful for comparison with others.

Bob has personally recommended the place he has used for many years in Pahrump:

http://jbmailroom.com/

I've used jbmailroom.com for 8 years--she never once in any way failed me. Many times she has gone far beyond the call of duty!

The DMV will mail your stuff to any legal mailing address--including a mail forwarder.

You have to lie to get a drivers license. The closest you can get to the truth is rent a space in an RV park or a month and take the receipt in and use that. But the truth is you do not live there and you know it--you're lying. I hate RV Parks, I'd never spend a night there, though ai would use the shower, water, trash and maybe electric occasionally.

I know for a fact AZ will let you use a homeless shelter as an address, but i do not know about NV.
Bob

akrvbob said:
I've used jbmailroom.com for 8 years--she never once in any way failed me. Many times she has gone far beyond the call of duty!

I've seen your comments on good experiences with this place.  Great to know she is giving such good customer service.

It seems to be a small operation, so it crossed my mind to wonder about her ability to accept an influx of new people, who read about it in CRVL.  Have you ever talked to her specifically about that?  If she comes down with a case of Beriberi for a month, how do they handle that?

Vagabound

She encourages me to continue to bring her new customers. She has an assistant who will take over the business when she is no longer able to do it herself--she's older and retired. Her assistant is a part-time postal employee so she knows it well.

I've always used my mom's place but when she's gone I will be calling that place!

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I don't think you quite understand just how much things have changed in this country in the last twenty years while you've been living abroad, courtesy of the "Patriot Act" and the "RealID Act".

Technically, you would be a homeless person...

You're right. I don't know. I hadn't heard of Real ID until only a couple weeks ago. I'm really out of the loop but this forum is helping me so much. Thanks for your patience.