M going 2 order new Promaster

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah you definitely want more head room to accommodate expected, or unexpected, situations. ^

On the other side of the universe, tho, alot of me just wants to shit can the entire idea and just go back to when I was 14…….

……..2 feet, backpack and a tarp.
Sayin……intjonny luzsha baybee

These old bodies wear out! I do have a friend in his sixties that does just that, hiking sections of the Appalachian Trail he just has to rest between sections more in his pool at his house in Havasu in the winter! Lol!!!

Found a Promaster on the lot in Delaware that meets my criteria except it has no rear door windows and no trailer hitch. Both of those missing items are easily added.

Delaware has no sales tax but I won’t be to Va Beach for 5 or 6 weex and Del isn’t that far away……. There will be something close to what I’m lookin for tho but even to order; and the order delivery time apparently is 10 to 14 weex; no big deal to fly one way; pick it up & drive back to Michigan to finish the interior.

No sales tax…….that alone is a 3000ish$ savings.
jonny boi wantin a new house

If you haven't already, check out the Promaster Forum, there is a large database of information created by very knowledgeable afficianodos. One of the first things you may want to use it for is to reality check the delivery times you're hearing from the dealer.

https://www.promasterforum.com/

And also make sure you're not losing out by not getting the tow package. Brakes, cooling, etc.

I'm jealous jonny boi, my van is 49.6 to 53 inches high, depending where you stand, so I have to bend my head like I agree all the time, even though I'm short, 5'2". Them extra few inches will make a lot of difference! But I don't travel all the time, so it's bearable and I don't mind. I know you will enjoy this luxury when you get there. Cheers! 👍

Well; I’ll find out eventually. I still haven’t completely sold myself on the higher roof or the medium wheel base.
The low roof short wheel base has 18” more headroom than I do now. Plus a lot more cargo space especially with passenger seat removal.
And I like the lower profile lines and the ultra stealthiness of it…….
But will I like it 5 years frum now? Still tossin the options around. I’ll know in 2 months till then “paralysis by analysis”.
intjonny luzsha baybee alway have alway will

The low roof short wheel base has 18” more headroom than I do now.
The sweet spot IMO is enough headroom for a very comfortable sitting posture. You got that beat.

But... for $3600 more you can get the high roof and longer wheelbase, which isn't bad. If you think you might ever want a roommate, I'd definitely go with that. Otherwise, get what suits you best when alone. Like you said, it'll be a lot more space than you are used to. The smaller rig will be easier to maneuver and park, and the temptation to accumulate junk will be limited... :p

I will never want a roommate but I do really enjoy raisin hell & partying with college/university chix. They’re a blast. I’m still thinkin the 2 feet; bak pak and a tarp over a piknik table at night route; tho.

Ya, I started building a rig for me and my wife... and then she left. Now it's way too big! Solo is best. If you meet someone you want to spend a lot of time with, they need to have their own rig!

Just tow their car behind your rig. If it doesn't work out, you can cut them loose.

Just not at speed if the road is crowded please.

...2 Michigan in approximately 60 days will order a new Ram Promaster Van.
Eugene, Oregon.
At the auctions, we see repossessed sprinter-style conversions, a dozen a session seems average.
Some sessions, half the inventory moving through the bleachers is van conversions and newer RecreateVehicles.
At the salvage pool, we can count on at least a couple-three lightly repairable 'insurance-total' sprinter-style wrecks going in and out every day.
New can be good.
Best wishes and good luck.

I still haven’t completely sold myself on the higher roof or the medium wheel base.
The low roof short wheel base has 18” more headroom than I do now. Plus a lot more cargo space especially with passenger seat removal.
And I like the lower profile lines and the ultra stealthiness of it……

Buying a high roof vs low roof gets discussed on the Promaster (and to lessor extent Transit and Sprinter) forums regularly. I've never come across a post where someone contemplated, bought a high roof, and regretted it. There are plenty of remorseful low roof buyers. There are use case scenarios for a low roof, but those folks know it; if you have doubt, then you probably don't fall into that category.

The right choice may become readily apparent if you focus on floorplan. The optimal layout for a van where all activities must be performed seated is different than the optimal layout for a van that you can stand up and move around.

Lol!!! More room for shells! You can reach more coconuts! You can stand on top during the tsunami and see it coming further out! You can trim more tree branches on your way back into your camp! You can put a pole between the rear doors and hang your deer when you gut it! Yep, probably a better life in a high top!

I do really enjoy raisin hell & partying with college/university chix. They’re a blast. I’m still thinkin the 2 feet; bak pak and a tarp over a piknik table at night route; tho.
Chix dig high roof vans... just sayin...