M going 2 order new Promaster

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INTJohn

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep made the decision. When I return 2 Michigan in approximately 60 days will order a new Ram Promaster Van.
1500 136”wb low roof with but a few options frum Dodge’s “build a truck” site.

That’s it and that’s that……
jonny boi wanting a new home

My super duty will have almost 140,000 miles win I get bak 2 Mish. The mileage that vehicles start thousand $$$ing you to death so time to upgrade and I don’t feel like wondering when the thing breaks or having to spend time in a hotel- that would feel like prison. A new Promaster will take me at least to 80 if I’m still kikin, yep.

Why not the high roof, jonny boi?
I have 48” height right now in the truk box with topper and the low roof Promaster has about 65”. About a foot and a half higher than present. Shit, I won’t know what to do with that lil lone paying for a high roof. How often do you really stand when you’re in a house? Just when you’re walking from 1 room to the next and last I knew a van like has but 1 room. 😎
The ole man will b fine. Yessir!

There’s also other considerations but time 4 a break.
jonny boi luzsha baybee

Cubic footage will be about 50% increase from what I have now. More than enuff.
I’m going to get it with rear door windows and put screened sliders in the sides myself. But adding the windows, vent, roof rack, insulation and interior wall & ceiling dressing is all simple enuff.

Already have everything I need to live frum the thing just need to incorporate stuff in a neat, functionally efficient & simple manner. Will also need to make a new bed frame/with underneath storage. Again, simple stuff. Few other odds & ends.

Unlike some I don’t plan on turning it into a personal homemade version of a Class B. Just keep it simple.

jonny boi chillin

The speksheet:
79D6E60B-8F4E-44C0-83E8-B87F0338EBC2.png
Only capability difference tween 1500 & 2500 is 350lb max payload rating. With an almost 2 ton max payload rating on the 1500 that 350 pounds is meaningless to me so, for me, not interested in paying 2400$ more for a hi roof 2500…….
…….and the 1500 low roof has a better towing capability rating.
Soooo……..
intjonny thinkin, yeah.

How it all started:
(“It” being deciding to get a Promaster)

Couple years back I decided to raise the bed frame a 2x4 - 3 1/2” as in doing so I could fit my 20 gallon water tank under and have enuff room to store portable solar panel on top of the tank and under the bed……..
…….leading to a loss of 3 1/2” head room and thus setting the course for my current chapter of Chaos Theory.

The loss of storage space now occupied by said water tank lead me to build a wheel well storage bin thus decreasing available free ranging space in the truck bed.

To compensate for this loss of wheel well space lead me to remove the passenger seat in the cab so I had a place to fit my 45 qt Whynter fridge……. Perfect now jonny boi is all set. Right? Yeah right. ( well, for a couple years anyway).
Except - Gawd I’m tired of no headroom, dude! I mean I’m 6’ 1”………. If I just had 54” instead of only 48” life could be sooo good.

Hmmm I could lift the topper. Started researching and found a company where I can get 4”x6” x12’ solid PLASTIC ( not composite) boards. Perfect. Get 2 of those, couple topper seals, rivet a piece of diamond plate aluminum to the bottom of the rear topper door, etc. good to go! Yes!

Hmmm topper is gettin kinda old starting to go a lil here & there. Maybe I should have ARE just custom make me a new one that’ll give me more headroom and have the windows & doors the way I’ve always wished anyway. Except that’ll be about 5000$……..

Damn; if I’m going to go thru all that and the truck is starting to creep into middle age anyway, maybe I should at least look into just getting a van……… a new van, yep.

As jonny boi’z mind begins to enter into the deep, dark universe of Van World…….

Chaos Theory 2 B Continued
intjonny luzsha baybee

Sounds fun...nothing like the smell of a new 'car'....yeah its not a new car exactly but the aroma is still about the same!

My favorite tall guy says the only thing he would like more van height for is to putting his pants on. I saw him eye balling a high top today, and pretty sure I heard him mumble something like "...could probably stand up in the middle. Would be nice."

He can't sit up straight on the bed, and putting a swivel on the passenger seat power base would give him zero headroom.

I'm sure you know how to choose what you want.

The Mysterious Van World of Chaos Theory, cont.

Transit a Sprinter and become a Promaster……
1676508049950.jpeg

Didn’t want rear wheel drive and didn’t want all wheel drive sooo front wheel drive Promaster wins due mainly to a complete lack of competition but after comparing sooo many other items re Van World it really became a slam dunk to decide to go with Promaster.

……and that where m at today. Still wrestling with a few of the options but the major 1 is Hi Roof vs Low Roof. Hmmmm

Do I need the hi roof? No
But maybe down the road I’ll want it? I mean I just turned 69 do I wanna feel like a krampt gramp at 75?
Sayin
And the hi roof is 500$ more; am thinkin big deal. Say 500$ over 10 years that’s 50$/year. Dude,? Seriously? Reely? C’mong man…..
I mean 4+$ a month? When I go 2 a beach bar I’m like payin 7 or 8 bux a drink!!

Yeah M thinkin he goin with the hi roof……
Sayin
jonny boi ain’t sayin; jus sayin; k?

^^^Seems a lot of those women at the beaches are pretty tall, be terrible if they hit their head. Lol!!!

Even if you really dont need or want the hi roof, think of the extra storage area it provides, especially if you build overhead cabinets or even just use cargo nets or hooks for misc items.

It’s a long climb to get to the roof of a high top and as you get older a hazardous one!

My brain just kikt in……..

Won’t need to make any kind of bed frame in the van really as I can relocate the HappiJac bed lift that’s in my toy hauler. 😎
Thing never gets used anyway and there’s other stuff from the toy hauler I can appropriate.

jonny boi gettin this van layout put together in his head.

I love my high top, going from a dodge caravan to a 136” 2500 high top was amazing and it’s not even built out yet.

My favorite tall guy says the only thing he would like more van height for is to putting his pants on .....
As he gets older he will find that it is much quicker and easier to completely empty his bladder at night if standing. Sitting doesn't work and kneeling is very hard on old knees.