Looking to be someone's vanmate

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aqjtravels

Reaction score
Cooped up with a broken foot. I have a cat and have some income, please let me be some company to someone on the road. I'm in ga. Platonically please.

Better look among your friends and people you know.
I don't think it is possible for anyone to just let you in their life (and their van) for a thousand good reasons.

"I don't think it is possible for anyone to just let you in their life (and their van) for a thousand good reasons."

And I would be wary of someone who would...especially if they have a white van and offer candy or puppies :)

You have not thought this through, there is pretty much only room for one bed in a van. You would need to find someone with a larger motorhome and a bathroom with a door that shuts in it to offer what what you are asking.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Aqjtravels! The virtual caravans that jacqueg suggested in her post above are a great place to meet and get to know people. They will be able to suggest places to go once your foot heals. Do you have a vehicle now? If it's not large enough to live in a tent is a good option.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Aqjtravels said:
Cooped up with a broken foot. I have a cat and have some income, please let me be some company to someone on the road. I'm in ga. Platonically please.
I'm new here, but I've traveled enough to know that there are only a few things more difficult than traveling with a friend/family member who is sick  and/or infirmed, and one of them is traveling with a sick or infirmed stranger. By the time you add in your cat, you're limited ability to contribute in the care and upkeep on the way of whereever you're going, we're talking straight out inconvenience.
As much as I understand the many reasons for your request, the truth is, the request itself means that you don't know enough about the lifestyle, or else you wouldn't make such a request on a board where community and self-sufficiency go hand-in-hand. Unfortunately, that makes you a liability - even for someone you know. Wait till you're healed and think about friends with similar interests.

True story: I lived in a North Idaho senior 55+ apartment building, and had a woman neighbor come to my door back in 2019 to make this same request. She was desperate to leave her husband and wanted to travel with me. I said no way. I'm a loner. I couldn't handle having another person - especially someone I don't know well - on board. This conversation happened before I got my van.

By the time I got my van she was gone to stay with someone else because, like I said, she was desperate to get away from her husband.

I didn't hear from her for a long time and then . . . was watching a Bob Wells video in which they gave away their first ever HOWA van, and I thought I recognized that woman getting the van as my former neighbor!

HOWA = Bob's charity, Homes on Wheels Alliance

Sure enough. She came back to North Idaho, to our apartment building, to get some things, and it was her, getting that van, and I actually got to see the van she got from HOWA!

She stayed around long enough to help me move my stuff out of my apartment. That was nice of her, considering that I had refused to let her ride along with me on my upcoming adventure.

So I recommend to you - why not? Apply to get a minivan or something from HOWA as soon as you're healthy enough, and learn how to drive.

I can tell you - the cat would be a deal-breaker for a lot of people. I'd find it hard enough to travel with another human being, but I'm not cat-friendly enough to have one of them along for the ride.

Ernest Hemingway said to never go on a trip with someone you do not love, and he was right.

Barring a dire emergency, being elbow to elbow with a stranger 24 hours a day?

I think not.

Yeah... a car or van is tight enough quarters to live with anyone I suppose.... but people look for strangers all the time to share a room, apartment or house....maybe this person has financial security to offer....maybe by the time their foot heals you could become great friends.... I know I always think of worse case scenarios.... but sometimes I am wrong and pleasantly surprised.....

If this person could afford to buy a nice van to live in I would consider it ...if they passed a background check and other criteria...

She hasn’t been on the forum since the 4th. Maybe gave up.

Maybe it’s spam ... disguised as a helpless woman ????

Can the moderators check their location? (India ?)

Yeah...that's what the OP said.....interesting....

Actually a bus ticket is cheaper than splitting the fuel bill for someone's RV, and you can pick your own destination.
-crofter