Looking for Spots in the North West

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott3569

Reaction score
Hello all, 

First I would like to say, I am not your normal Newbie, I grew up in one of the largest National parks in the USA, My father Was a forest ranger, So. I know most of the etiquette when it comes to Camping, boondocking..

That being said, I would like to know of a few decent spots in the North West, such as Northern Cali, Oregon, Washington, Maybe Northern Idaho.. 

- would like the option of having a camp fire
- would like it to be fairly close to civilization, 20-30 miles range  

Other than that, I am pretty much game for just about anything... 

maybe even with some fishing.. 

Pm me please if you know of anything, or if you are willing to share..

More than likely a camp fire is out. When a strict burn ban goes into effect it applies everywhere even private property. I can't remember a summer without the strict burn bans. It might not be as bad over by the coast but it ain't going to happen in eastern Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. Highdesertranger

All the states you are interested in have plenty of forest service and BLM land, and quite a lot of those lands are within 20-30 miles of some fairly large towns/cities. Most national parks are also close to a town large enough to have a decent grocery store. Fishing spots are  harder to find, due to competition. 

Summer campfires are pretty much taboo on most public lands in the west these days. If you limit your options that criterion, the pickings will be few and far-between.

It would be easier for people to be more specific if you are more specific about exactly which areas you are interested in. You are talking about millions of acres here.

I am in a great spot with an amazing view of the entire Williamette National Forest I think. I just came from the McKenzie River area and I saw a lot of fire damage and campfires were still banned due to extreme risk. I saw the Sweet Home Ranger station risk was low so when I found an open gate with no signs off the Quartzville Rd approximately 20 miles off of Highway 20 I went for it. It's a nasty steep road that turns to gravel with huge craters. Found a clearing with no fire ring so I unloaded the Honda Trail 125 and cooked some dinner then I took a ride around and found a much better spot with a fire ring and wood. I did not know until the next day that 50 ft. up the forest road was this amazing panoramic view. I use freecampsites.net GPS is provided and I look around for the best spot in that general area. All in Oregon BTW.

Please no campfires here in Oregon. We've already been evacuated once this spring when a fire got away just a few blocks from here.

There's gold in Quartzville creek. I have prospected there it's one of Oregon's public prospecting areas. Highdesertranger

Yes it is a beautiful area. I would keep an eye out for big foot, one time when I was there there was a sighting. The story spread up and down the canyon like wildfire. Highdesertranger

i am just worried about this poor girl who drove up here last night looking for a place to "meditate" and lost her keys to the 04 Chevy Malibu she is driving. Methamphetamine probably. I just worry what sleep deprivation does to you. The Walmart in Lebanon, OR had more items in secure display cases then I have seen anywhere. I was told the "tweekers" steal kleptomaniac style. As for fires I am a highly cable human being and if the experts say it's ok and a ring is present then I'll have me a fire. Another great thing about this campsite is the 4G internet.

Olympic Penisula camping close to Pot Angeles fits that description. Some od that area is National Park, somme is national forest and some is Washinington State forest land. A lot of Idaho, Montana and Wyoming and parts of Oregon also fits the criteria of free camping and decent fishing.

Camp fires in April and May are often possible on the Olympic Peninsula if it is a wet spring which most often it is.

One potential source for fishing spot recommendations is doing searches on youtube using your keywords, lots of fishing videos to be found there.

Cool thanks for the replies guys, it will be a month or two before I start heading that way.. So I imagine no camp fires,, Especially with fore season coming in California..

Not sure what you're driving but keep an eye on the roads you want to travel. Many in PNW have length, weight, height restrictions. Like McKenzie River in OR. Cell reception through out OR can be really spotty.
My fav boondock in all of Oregon has no views. lol South of Sisters is a rodeo grounds, nestled next to NF. It isn't scenic but it is clean, 2 weeks free, great cell and within five to 20 mins drive of vital services. It is within two miles to 60 of the most awesome places to explore. Each year we stop in there a couple times so we can get repairs, big deliveries, stock up, get business done and explore. In fact, it is the only location where we had a vehicle and medical OH CRAP situation where the local law enforcement came to our rescue--In 30 years on the road. The ONLY place law enforcement ever offered us help.
Sisters is a tiny, artsy town. Adore the people there. Best biscuits and gravy I've had in 30 years of US and Canada travel can be found there. South of the NF boondock area is Bend, 20ish mins east is Redmond.
Not sure what parts of OR you're doing. Some rangers for BLM and NF are kind people, others are hardball, hand on their gun entire time you converse with them. The NF dispersed camping areas near Bend are severely abused and the rangers are not happy about it. Same for some of the BLM areas east of Bend, although I do like OR Badlands blm for short periods.
Valley wise I don't have suggestions. There is so very little area there open to dispersed and even the campgrounds can be questionable.
Coast wise, I'm not familiar with the areas north of Lincoln City. But south of it all the way to Coos Bay are a lot of NF campgrounds right on the coast. They do charge. Many have no services like water. Some are FCFS but most with Covid now require online reservations. Check first! For a van or small (under 15ish ft) trailer, these can be a great way to see the coast. Fees range depending on location and your pass. For us it is 50% off, so some campgrounds are $5 and some with electric are $19. Below Coos Bay there aren't many BLM or NF areas available. Only one I can think of is the one off Hwy 101 on the Sixes river, north of Port Orford. I think it is still a free spot. Check. But it is a great spot to get out and see things from Bandon down to Brookings, imo, if you're not wanting to pay a big state or private campground fee.
Oh, and there are some marina spots that allow vans or even tents. Winchester Bay's Salmon Harbor has one, with coin op showers, FCFS, next to the dunes and on the bay, dry dock, $17 a night or $300 a month. Does get noisey due to OHV/ATVs.
Most of the coast right now seems to be campfire okay but that changes. Every summer they ban it.
I'm sure I'm forgetting some places. Will post if more come back to me.

Fire bans usually start in June. But of course some years it varies.

I will have to get more details from you, when I am actually ready.. Just trying to get some ideas right now.. probably won't be traveling for another couple months. But when I do, it will be full time

Morefun said:
Not sure what you're driving but keep an eye on the roads you want to travel. Many in PNW have length, weight, height restrictions. Like McKenzie River in OR. Cell reception through out OR can be really spotty...
I drove truck for 13 years, I am pretty familiar about what to watch for.. thats said, I have a dodge grand caravan I am building out..

...Definitely NOT Hanford...some Bobbots will claim Boondock ing has a price don't pay it...

highdesertranger said:
Yes it is a beautiful area.  I would keep an eye out for big foot,  one time when I was there there was a sighting.  The story spread up and down the canyon like wildfire.  Highdesertranger

With your shoe size, they may have been talking about you.

hahahaha, You're funny, a regular Bob Hope. Seriously now that I let my hair grow and I seldom shave you might be right, LOL.

Highdesertranger

With the van you can go anywhere! Some of the best NF places in PNW are restricted length campgrounds, especially along the coast OR/WA. You've got it made for those spots.