Looking for people to go to the RTR and travel after with!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DenverDMax

Reaction score
Hello everyone my name is JJ, I decided almost a year ago to sell all of the things I have and pursue what I really enjoy; traveling, hiking, and camping. I am 22 years old and live near Denver, CO. My girlfriend who is 24 has also decided to join me on this adventure and is planning to continue her online studies while we're on the road. I have purchased a Duramax diesel truck and intend to get a small travel trailer (18ish feet) after I sell my last car. The plan is to go small so we can still get it down the tight dirt roads for some boondocking camp sites. 

We have just returned from the maiden voyage of the truck (about 3 weeks and 4500 miles) to confirm that it will be reliable for us and also to be sure that we want to travel/camp for an extended period. During our trip the only thing that I really noticed myself missing was my group of friends to spend time with. That is the main reason I made an account here and decided to make this post.

My intent was to find a group or create a group that was going to be going to the RTR from the colorado area. I would even be down to meet a group there! My personal plan is to leave the first weekend in January and head down to the RTR. After the RTR I was planning to travel until at least May, or possibly August. I would like to have some people that I am acquainted with to spend time traveling with to avoid feeling so isolated.

I am obviously going to be a greenhorn at the full-time thing when the RTR begins this year, although I am a very experienced camper/backpacker. I am pretty laid back for most people my age, but can still enjoy some whiskey and beers around a fire with good conversation. I am also a very experienced mechanic that will be bringing the majority of my tools with me on the road to help those in need. 

If that sounds like something interesting to you, or if you might allow me to join your group let me know! I would love to spend some time traveling the country with some new friends as well as having people help me learn more about this fantastic way of living life! =)

Thanks everyone,
JJ

Welcome to the CRVL forums JJ! A suggestion - There's a large bulletin board at the RTR. You could post an invitation to a gathering at your camp to discuss traveling together to great hiking and camping locales. You could start by taking some hikes on the BLM land around Quartzsite. You may have to take the lead in this as many people are shy or unsure and would rather let someone else do the planning. For now check the "Gatherings" section. A gathering is being planned for the end of September in the Telluride area.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

I met a bunch of people at RTR. About eight of us decided to travel together for a while. I learned very quickly that I wasn't the right type of person for group travel. It was like herding cats. And it turned out I just didn't like one or two of them. I split off after a week or so. But I've met up with many of them over the years. One of them has become my best nomad friend.

Denver to Quartzsite is a 14-ish hour drive, but it can be longer if you stop to enjoy some of the great things along the way. Maybe you could use that trip to get to know your nomadic selves better without the influence, opinions and hassles of fellow wanderers.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I went ahead and made a post in the group section as well. Mr. Noodly thanks for the advice! I plan to spend some time on my own during the winter as well and get to know the territory. I guess I was sort of just relating this Gathering to Burning Man. People generally try to find a group before they get there so they know where to park with like-minded people. I suppose a meeting of the nomads will generally be all like-minded people though haha. Is there a map of the areas that are quiet versus late night spots?

The location for next year's RTR is new to all of us. Same general area but I think it's a little closer to Quartzsite. Since it's grown so much there are a few camp areas set aside for specific groups such as the disabled camp, music camp, etc.
You'll have no trouble meeting like minding people and making friends.

Hi we planing to go to rtr this next Jan, you said you both a pickup has to be Gm with the engine you said , I have been a pickup camper my first one was1969 was a 65 Chev 3/4 ton with a vistorliner camper . I do not know what your looking for I have two pickup  campers I have used myself one a 8 foot close the back of the pickup the outer is a 10 foot I do not know if that what you look for my son is out there in long mount Co. I in Mo. my wife got us a newer lance I looking for offers but do not know the size of your truck you have ? We will be going there from are place in south of Jackson MS, Well would like to have other to travel with I have a dodge ton truck 93 with the 6 cyl. Diesel with 210000 miles on the truck with the lance camper it give me 13&1/2 to 14 1/2 MPG I do not drive over 60mph , well I am a auto truck teck for over 50years now. Well my email is [email protected] well good luck with whatever you deside to live in the camper the Pickup camper is a great pick . well you can text me or use the form  also my other email here is my car email is [email protected]  easy to know for me ( Meisner Precision alignment and Brakes specisiles ) well enjoy your out the rat race enjoy we are going to start to go play too i hope not too late at (75 & 78 ) but hope we not ! Goo luck on you doing . PS my son has a dodge motor home And is selling his  5TH wheel which you could pull with what the truck you have he not far from you that is a buy too well enjoy hope I can meet you sometime yes I am a People person , bill