Looking for my future

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CC2023

Reaction score
Hi, thinking about the future and gathering info. Seeing if van life is for me.

x2 on welcome.

The best advice I can offer is to peruse the site and look at the discussions on virtually every topic relative to van living that can be found on here.
If you have any specific questions, try looking them up on the search feature.
If nothing is found, don't be afraid to post your unanswered question up...

Welcome! First thing to try is mark off a van sized space and try arranging a space to sleep comfortably within it. Next start to see if the things you need to have fit somewhere in the space. Start researching to see what you need to do to make the space work for you. Try camping out at home in your space using as few utilities as possible. Good luck!

By "van life" do you mean getting rid of your home, selling all your possessions and living in a vehicle?

Or do you mean replacing your car with a van and using it as your everyday vehicle and home away from home?

Keep your current residence and camp around your local area as much as possible, and by camping I mean at least some of it needs to be boondocking, not paid campsites. Take the bare minimum with you and add stuff as you seem necessary. Add upgrades to your rig as money allows and you feel you need. While camping take walks and meet neighbors, see how they are doing it and meet friends. Start with overnight trips and work up to an entire week off grid. Do not just sellnomads everything and live in a rig without taking the time to set yourself up to be comfortable traveling. YouTube videos of nomads can help, but the videos of nomads whose life sux on the road don't get promoted on YouTube, I'd say for every nomad who lives their life their is an equal number who are stuck in the situation and aren't loving it. Really it is mostly about making good friends and seeing some beautiful spots. One you are confidante with camping/ boondocking then you can make an informed decision whether to go full time or not. It is hard to reestablish a household one you've sold it all.

Keep your current residence and camp around your local area as much as possible, and by camping I mean at least some of it needs to be boondocking, not paid campsites. Take the bare minimum with you and add stuff as you seem necessary. Add upgrades to your rig as money allows and you feel you need. While camping take walks and meet neighbors, see how they are doing it and meet friends. Start with overnight trips and work up to an entire week off grid. Do not just sellnomads everything and live in a rig without taking the time to set yourself up to be comfortable traveling. YouTube videos of nomads can help, but the videos of nomads whose life sux on the road don't get promoted on YouTube, I'd say for every nomad who lives their life their is an equal number who are stuck in the situation and aren't loving it. Really it is mostly about making good friends and seeing some beautiful spots. One you are confidante with camping/ boondocking then you can make an informed decision whether to go full time or not. It is hard to reestablish a household one you've sold it all.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Before you do anything else - go camping right now in the vehicle you have with the stuff you have.

It isn't the vehicle that makes it fun. If you don't already like camping, it's hard for me to see how you'd ever enjoy full timing it.

Excellent advice!

Tripper's advice was excellent. The only thing I'll add is that vanlife isn't magical. It won't make you something you're not. If you're shy, it won't make you outgoing. If you're a homebody it won't make you outdoorsy. If you're bored, it won't make you adventurous. You'll still be you, and your problems will travel with you.

OMT: There's lots of ways to do "vanlife". Not everyone is doing the camping thing. Some folks are city dwellers. Some folks are travelers.

Tripper's advice was excellent. The only thing I'll add is that vanlife isn't magical. It won't make you something you're not. If you're shy, it won't make you outgoing.
I have to add, I was a lot more shy when I started. I found most travelers to be a lot less judgemental and much more friendly than the general population. Walking around and talking over time I've found I am now an outgoing person.

Alot has changed in the last two years. All your doing is camping and using the van to get you between points A & B.