Looking for help buying a minivan.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwade1881

Reaction score
I am hoping someone on here can help me. I am looking to buy a van around 2.5k to 4k. that is in really good condition and mechanically sound. no more than a 190k miles. anywhere in Texas, Arkansas, or Oklahoma. please send links or if you know any, please let me know the details. looking to buy.

Keep watching Craiglist 'autos for sale by owner'. That's how I got mine. I just happened to
open it up and there it was, posted late the night before. '97 Grand Caravan with 133k
for $1,700. I have since put some more money into it but it was still worth it.

Here is the issue. I can't afford to get a rental car then go vet the cars I see on craigslist. I have found about 5 vehicles on there so far but I can't afford to get a rental car go to all 5 places and then turn around and pay a mechanic 100-200 to look at it then buy the car. its why im looking for someone who knows one that is a good buy already.

dwade1881 said:
Here is the issue. I can't afford to get a rental car then go vet the cars I see on craigslist. I have found about 5 vehicles on there so far but I can't afford to get a rental car go to all 5 places and then turn around and pay a mechanic 100-200 to look at it then buy the car. its why im looking for someone who knows one that is a good buy already.
Our little town has a newspaper, and also a radio station that has a buy, sell or trade program where people call in.  Maybe yours does too:)

my town is pure shit, we have nothing like that here even the news paper here is a joke.

I doubt you will have much luck with the used car market bring such high prices as dealers are willing to travel and take their chances or mechanics with them and travel well outside their normal areas. Try posting an add at local stores wanting to buy. Most small towns have a bulletin board for local contractors or notices somewhere.

dwade1881 said:

Try to find someone who can drive you around to look at the cars. Offer to pay them for their time and gas.

If it's a problem looking at cars locally, how will you be able to check out cars in nearby states?

Slow2day has an excellent point, I think many of us here would be more than happy to help, But you certainly do not want to buy a vehicle sight unseen..

We do not know what your situation is, but you sound pretty desperate, and this is not a good thing, you will end up in a vehicle with a ton of headaches

Maybe you need to hold of just for a little while until you are in a slightly better position

If I was near you, I would be glade to help out..

But I think you need to come down to reality a little bit here my friend, What you are suggesting is the absolute worst way to buy a vehicle

situation im on disability 800 a month going to max out a credit card to pay for the vehicle. its my only chance at getting one. im living with an elderly woman who doesn't take care of her health and if she passes i have no vehicle to live in and i live in a very small east texas town and some days am bed ridden so i can't walk far. 

i am desperate but i am not stupid desperate. im playing it very safe maybe a bit too safe. i do not want to get scammed from anyone with buying a vehicle. i will not buya  vehicle unseen but thats where the issue lays, i can't get there to see said vehicle either. and i am very clear into reality.

dwade1881 said:
... im living with an elderly woman who doesn't take care of her health and if she passes i have no vehicle to live in

It seems that it would be hard to know when that might happen.

Does this mean you will immediately lose a place to live?

Have you checked with local social service agencies on your options for a place to live? 

I know this issue is separate from buying a car but if you have a few more months to save and look for a vehicle you would be better off.

if she passes yes i lose the place and ive tried local social services they can't help me. all they do is refer me to a homeless shelter and after 10 yrs being homeless, i refuse to go to them again. plus my body can't allow me to live on the streets without a vehicle.

dwade1881 said:
if she passes yes i lose the place.

OK,understood but my question is how do you know when that might be?

Unless you're paying a lot for rent you could save more.

Maybe have better luck finding someone locally to help you look for a vehicle.

slow2day said:
OK,understood but my question is how do you know when that might be?

it can be any time, shes 61, overweight diabetes type 2, anemic, doesn't take iron meds or eats anythign with iron, she drinks soda pops and eats junk food and ice cream and candy. i go to bed at night highly stressed wondering if this is the last night here. wake up in the morning freaking hoping shes okay.

I’m going to echo the concerns expressed here by others.

I’m concerned not only about your rather desperate current situation and trying to find a vehicle during that, but also your very limited income.

Maxing out a credit card to pay for a car, as well,mon your very limited income is going to put you in very dire financial straits very quickly.

The interest on that will compound rapidly, and then there are living expenses as well as maintenance expenses on a vehicle.

It is not unusual for older vehicles to need major repairs, either, and you could find yourself stuck on the side of a road somewhere with a vehicle that won’t run and a credit card maxed out needing payments.

You are eligible for federally subsidized housing, if you haven’t thought about that.

Good luck to you.

not here for advice on the financial aspect. here to try to get help in finding a decent vehicle or one that someone may have and is selling.

Well my question is, How do you plan to buy a vehicle from a private party with a Credit Card?

Seems to me you need to go to a dealer.

Highdesertranger

Well OP, this is your second post, almost everyone here has tried to help you.. Yet you seem to be determined to make a poor choice..

So maybe since people are not telling you what you want to hear, maybe you need to find some help Locally.

I think you may be underestimating the generosity and the help that may be offered if you expand your efforts to get that help. There are a lot of good people out there.