Looking for a free campsite?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I started out, I really needed to know how to find a campsite, and how to stay out of exclusive areas with paid security and paranoid residents.

I still go to some exclusive areas but I stay at the pay campsite there so I am not bothered by paranoid ppl and their pay security. Boondockers Welcome might get you access to some exclusive areas that would otherwise be expensive to stay at. Must be self contained and there is a online sign up process, then you are good to go.

-crofter

My favorite site so far has been the dispersed camping south of Turquoise Lake near Leadville Colorado. 

Good T-Mobile service, fast moving creek for free water, mostly flat sites in varied sizes. 9800 feet elevation. 

Second place is Shavano wildlife area near Poncha Springs, Colorado. Again, good T-Mobile service, mostly flat. 8500 ft. elevation.

I'm lookin around and starting to have another panic attack ;( Like, I'd rather "not" see what's out there, over the next hill. A lot more than America the Beautiful ;( Think I'll stay in my mole-hole.

cool and thanks but in a way it doesn't matter, you type in freecampsites.com and it takes ya right to the correct one anyway LOL  I tried it :) but appreciate the fixing.

bullfrog said:
No thumbs up button yet, come on, so I second what DLTooley and VanTramp stated. 
I missed this one at first, but well said!!  I'd be up for helping any way I can.  That's the only way to make a really positive affect on the situation as I see it.  Otherwise, Nomads will continue to lose ground ;( Talk about a good cause to be part of :thumbsup: Can't agree more on having a thumbs up button.  Shows how many "agree" with statements and they don't have to write it out taking up space on the site ;)

cyndi said:
The freecamppsites.net community provides the best free camping information available. We give you a simple, map based search engine to find free and cheap camping areas. Community reviews and ratings provide you with up to date information and help you select the best camp site for your next camping trip.

Freecampsites.net, owned and operated by Hitekhomeless, here on the forum

So cool, thanks for sharing. I wonder if there is a summer equivilent of RTR up north as I am not a fan of AZ.

Mod edit, please when quoting type your response outside the quote box. It's very confusing it you don't

frater secessus said:
"I SELL AMWAY LET mE TELL YOU ALL ABOUT IT!!!"
Or maybe:
"Knock for a free Watchtower magazine and discussion"

bullfrog said:
No thumbs up button yet, come on, so I second what DLTooley and VanTramp stated.  I would think working with those in charge of public lands as DLTooley in Colorado and Bob has done with the BLM for the RTR needs more support and activites like trash pickups, improvement of sites by volenteers like making dog poop bag stands and educational signs(nearest dumpster, water, dump stations and showers) letting people in these areas know how to best take care of the area.  I mean if you can have RTR's and Van build outs why not work to improve and take care of publicized free camping sites with permission?
100% agree

you know I agree with what some have said, when you start sharing places, eventually some will come along and ruin the experience for everyone.. For a combination of reasons I am sure. But I think the Number one reason is education.. Then of course you have those that do not think about anything other then them selves..

When it all comes to a head, if we all learn how to educated the people in a pleasant manner, so that people do not feel like they are attacked.. I think it is doable..

NOT sharing is selfish, and in my opinion has no business in this culture, not only that it just makes you bitter

At the same time when you approach others that you see are not doing things correct, Educate them in a way that makes everything Comfortable.. It can be done.. I firmly believe it can be done..

But the mindset with the people that know better needs to change.. from hiding to Education.

JMHO

I think a lot of people just don't give a shit. They have been educated and just don't care. Call me bitter, but that's what I see. Highdesertranger

agree more with HDR on this also.

People don't care....IF WE DID as an entire human race things would be way different by now....nope, not gonna change much. But hope is key, try to change others in a respectful manner like Scott said, but it has been happening since time began with civilizations so? have we truly gotten anywhere in our humanity and smarts?

highdesertranger said:
I think a lot of people just don't give a shit.  They have been educated and just don't care.  Call me bitter,  but that's what I see.  Highdesertranger
I definitely agree, I see it every day right, here, and wherever people are, there are those that don't care.  I think if we can belong to a group, I don't mean always camping together, but have "rules of membership" type things, we could have a good reputation of being clean campers and respecters of our natural resources/free camping areas. How about a name like "Clean Getaway" group?

I always try to leave a campsite better than when I arrive, trash pickup, fix campfire ring, leave firewood if some was left for me. The place I just left had an odd spot to dump the fire pit ashes. I shuffled some ash, and to make a long story short, someone had dumped more than two dozen nails of all shapes and sizes and carefully covered them up with the ash. That was two feet or so where you-pull in to park. Hmmmmmm.
I just arrived here two days ago and this place needs a lot of work, I may not have enough garbage bags! 15 beer bottles thrown into the woods for a start.
?
?

Thanks for that link. Didnt know this paid site existed. It's an enroute campsite for RVers for only one night. 3 slots. I better have a back up plan.