Looking at remote work. Any suggestions?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Camper

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering working remotely. Not sure where to actually look for positions that aren't scams or commission only. Phone and internet aren't an issue.

Anyone have a lead or solid suggestions where to look? I haven't actually looked for a job in forever, having been self employed for quite a long time. Every lead is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

go to the you tube channel creativity rv. I bought her book on remote work , available on Amazon, and it was very comprehensive

It's a challenge. Good luck!

Upwork and Fiverr are a couple of online freelance marketplaces. Some (don't know what %, guessing pretty high) of their work can be done remotely. A lot of their jobs pay very poorly, but I've heard a few people say they've had good luck there. Might be worth a look, but be careful.

You can "work remotely" and "be self employed" at the same time. Remote jobs can be either employee or freelance status -- in fact, freelance (self employed) is more likely -- don't limit yourself to one or the other until you're sure what you want.

A lot depends on what kind of work you do, or want to do, too.

A lot has changed since Covid and the great work-from-home revolution (and apparently the great try-to-get-them-back-into-the-ofice counterrevoluation) -- it seems like this whole area is really unpredictable right now.

There was a thread recently on this topic, and IIRC some people shared some pretty impressive successes. And I think there may have been one or more job-specific threads? Like something about hotel reservations or property management ? ??

I hope when you say phone and internet aren't an issue that this includes very good cybersecurity for yourself.

That's all I got. Good luck!!

go to the you tube channel creativity rv. I bought her book on remote work , available on Amazon, and it was very comprehensive
Were you able to find a job due to the book? Just curious on actual results before I spend money. Even if it's only $5 lol

Were you able to find a job due to the book? Just curious on actual results before I spend money. Even if it's only $5 lol

Edit: I read every review on the book at Amazon. If you're looking to be inspired about possibilities this might be for you. Plenty of people reviewing were very excited and inspired. I applaud that.

But not one person reviewing had said they found a worthwhile income of any sort from it. The few people that shared their experience weren't flattering regarding their results. I'm sure some of that was on them. I just expected at least one person to say it worked for them. No one did.

I don't know anything about Mattvei's book so this is not a comment on that.

When I was first starting out as a freelancer I bought several similar books (about creativity, business, self-employment, etc.). In my defense I will say that only one of them had "six-figure income" in the title.:LOL:

There is a joke about how the only people who get rich off of "how to get rich" books are the people who write them. There are some good ones (the less extravagant the hype, the better the book, usually, IMO). I think they are more good for big-picture stuff -- getting the right attitude (usually some combination of "no pain no gain" and "believe in yourself"), understanding how to reach out to people (talk about what you can do for them, not what they can do for you), how to set goals, network, etc. I don't know of any that will directly get you a job.

The only ones I remember that seem like they could be good across (almost) all fields of work are the "guerrilla marketing" books. Otherwise, it really, really depends on what you want to do. Trying to make a plan without setting goals first is like trying to build a house without a foundation. Really take the time to brainstorm out what you want to do.

As far as the advice that you get from those books, I'd say try (almost) anything twice. Push yourself out of your comfort zone. And then if it doesn't work or you hate it, drop it -- find the stuff that works for you.

One more thing: anything written before 2020 or so, keep in mind that the whole remote-work landscape changed with Covid so what you're reading may or may not hold.

¡Suerte!

Thank you Morgana. I have been successfully self employed most of my adult life. At the point in time I'm just mainly looking for a standard work from home situation with an hourly income. Certain circumstances have me limited for at least a short while in what I can do, so just a simple gig that has 20-30 hours would be fine for a while. I was going singing had a direct link or info on such a job when I posted initially.

The rest of it I can do and have done myself thankfully. I've been fortunate enough to have helped many other become self employed as well.

The drawback is that now I want a simple job for a while, and I have never actually looked for a job lol. I either worked for myself, or an opportunity presented itself and I accepted. So yes this is very new and interesting to me. Looking for something sooner than later, so we'll see how it goes.

You can get work at home jobs with Banks, Insurance companies, State, County and federal agencies. Try contacting your local state employment agency.

I found some good leads. Now I have to make a resume for the first time in, ever lol. So weird.

My last W2 job ended 9/15/1984. I've been self employed since then. So no, wasn't looking for a job