Living out of my harley road glide?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobra246

Reaction score
Ok so i have a conflict of interests between myself and myself. Half of me wants to be totally free, amd the other half of me wants to ride my motorcycle. So why not combine them? Despite the complete lack of stealth and concealability, what could be a more streamlined way of travel?
There are a few hurdles to overcome. First of which is how the heck to i stay warm in the minter months? I have no desire to travel outside the US so the farthest south i can get is Laredo TX which is warm but not exactly a friendly environment. Next is space. Space on a motorcycle is at a premium even on a full size touring bike. Other than the bare essentials, i dont see a whole lot of things i can take with me. What do i do for entertainment? How do yall stay in contact with your families? Third is family. I was thinking about waiting till my grandpa dies because the only reason i keep working at this miserable office job is because i wanted to make him proud. Its turned into my daily prison. This might be a personal question but how much crap did you guys have to endure from your families about your decision to live a free lifestyle? I doubt that this is the easy road, but it is the most free one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A HD can easily tow a small trailer. There are some pretty cool mini-popup campers that can be towed by a MC and carry the usual lightweight camping gear, electronics, whatever.

If you camp a lot and save money during the warm months, then you might be able to afford to rent a room while you stay put during the cold months, possibly working a temp/seasonal job. With a bike, you're saving lots of $ on gas that can be used for occasional motels,airBnB,etc. when you're on the road.

I'm retired and have thought about doing this but my back problems keep me from being able to ride a bike for longer periods. Do it now while you can. You can always change back to the 9-5 crap later.

I totally forgot about the trailer option! Ima go check that out.

Have you done any long distance motorcycle touring?

Yes a trailer will multiply your ability to carry camping supplies, but a normal two wheel trailer will also limit your ability to go off-road in some situations, if you have an off-road capable bike.

I built a single-wheel motorcycle trailer and pulled it for years and it tracks in the exact same path as the motorcycle tires. There are some mono-wheel trailers made specially for adventure-touring and light off-road travel.

It all comes down to how much do you want to carry, and then cut that down to 1/10th!

:cool:

A little, mostly just week-long trips through the smokies.

tx2sturgis said:
It all comes down to how much do you want to carry, and then cut that down to 1/10th!

:cool:

All you hard core biker's need to camp out is just a horse blanket. :D
That's why Bo Diddley sing's this song for biker's: 
[size=medium]All kidding aside. Touring the Great Western states of the USA should be done on a bike. Just like "Then Came Bronson".

"Deadliest Catch show dude , Russell Newberry, travels with his Dad, his Dad lives in Tenn. They both use a  motorcycle trailer to carry tent's and such, they both ride Harley's, to tour the US together. Used to see the pics on his fb. Pretty cool :cool: . Back to topic...............

My brother and his wife traveled on their Harley for 3.5 years after they retired (2013-2016). Although they carried everything they absolutely needed on the bike, they liked to have some extra conveniences (cooler, chairs, more pots/pans, etc.). They would put all of their extras in the cooler, tape it up, and ship it to the Post Office near their next destination. They would winter in Palm Springs, renting a room. During the winters, they got even more stuff that they enjoyed, like a BBQ and bigger chairs. When they got ready to leave their rented room in the Spring, they'd put their extras in a large canvas bag and buried it in a vacant lot to be used the next winter.

Three out of four of my siblings are travelers like me, our older generation has all passed, cousins just accept it; so, no problem with family pressure to do something else :)

tx2sturgis said:
Opening scene of Then Came Bronson:

Great choice of clips ! !  "Hang in there".
Then_Came_Bronson.jpg
Micheal Parks Memorial video: 

Attachments

• Then_Came_Bronson.jpg
    Then_Came_Bronson.jpg
    47.7 KB
This post reminds me of I book I read in college. "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance". It was all about traveling America on a motorcycle. I think it's a beautiful and romantic idea. You could probably tow a t@b they are compact, well made and have everything you need.

Im gonna have to check that book out

Friday i went to the Cherohala Skyway in TN/NC mountains. Breathtaking views, perfect weather, and it will last forever in my memory.
a75743d23e32ac284b9defd9441f486f.jpg
1df4f1434f2dd8c4fe3b1f28e761d3a9.jpg
eb038aa74aaf8f7914328b4bf8f2bc4f.jpg
0b4655a9fb2eb56ba81c3f5710826a9d.jpg

I traveled on a motorcycle for several years with no money. I had a two man tent, the best mummy bag you can get, and three changes of clothes. A pocket am/fm radio (cell phone is much better now) and a really nice backpacking hammock. A few basic supplies like glycerin soap etc. Mostly took baths by jumping in rivers, lakes, and best of all hot springs (highly suggested). I kept a can of protein powder/powdered breakfast mix to mix with water when I ran out of food.
I found I never got bored traveling. I did freeze my azz off a few times, not knowing the weather patterns at the time. I met many amazing people during that time. I found it was very easy to ravel on motorcycle, except when it broke down, then life totally sucked.

Woo... and I'm sitting here thinking about paring down to a wagon or Suburban!

Though... I used to ride a lot, and a nice long wander around the continent would be kinda nice...

Latest posts