Living in a Semi Truck Trailer?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

protryon

Reaction score
Right off the bat, I want to add I'm talking about not work related living in a converted semi truck w/ trailer, not working and living at the same time. (However, trailers could be swapped to have a haul and a living trailer).

I'm drawing up a floor plan, with a garage bay for a small car/motorcycle, a 10-15 kW solar array (my friend challenged me to design it to house a Tesla, though I cannot afford one and will only probably use 5K), a full bathroom, kitchen, living room, and bedroom, total square footage outside of garage, not including wall paneling: 389.8125 sqft.

While my ideas may seem insane, I have a strong engineering background and am not afraid to have 2.25 tonnes of water hanging over a carport on a trailer that was not designed for the purpose, with the proper reinforcement and weight balance as needed.

Obviously my goal in vandwelling is not minimalism for its own sake, but just leading a more efficient (and frankly fun as hell to build and drive) way of living. I dream of onboard water recycling, and other cool experiments.

Due to the clouding of google by people working and sleeping in their truck cabs, I have no idea if this has been done before. Thankfully, this is not my first custom conversion, but I would love to see what others have done, for inspiration and advice in my own planning. If anyone's interested I'll release a full floor plan and budget. (I expect the cost to be $20K for inside + ~30K for truck and trailer).

You didn't specify where you would be living: city? small towns/country? BLM/National Forest lands? Desert? Mountains?

The first thing that comes to my mind is where are you going to stay and for how long?  You can't just park a 50 ft. tractor/trailer anywhere that a van can.  Clearance and weight restrictions would be more of an issue off the highway.

Licensing, permits and insurance issues will be more challenging.

Escapees would be a good place to ask questions.  A lot of them live FT in 5th wheel travel trailers pulled by HDT.

So I'll keep this on my property sometimes, but otherwise I'll be parking the semi truck out in rest stops, then taking my car out of the truck to go into town. I'll be getting a used truck, their actually pretty cheap on Craigslist. @wagoneer, what do you mean by Volvo? did they do something like this?

I would scour the local auction sites (not ebay) for older refrigerated trailers. They already have good insulation.

Some will have a 'city door' and interior bulkheads, and possibly overhead air ducts. 

You can buy them with or without the reefer unit. Some older units will sell at auction for less than $2000.

Here is one place I have dealt with, there are many others nationwide.

http://www.assiter.com/auctions/detail/march-canyon-heavy-equipment-and-vehicles-auction

Or just google used trailer sales near your location.

As an alternative, you should also look at shipping containers, also called 'connex' containers. They are available at reasonable prices, and plans are all over the internet for 'container homes'.

Do you have a Class A driver's license? If you get a Class A license you now need to have a DOT physical attached to it every two years or the Class A is downgraded to a regular driver's license and then you can't drive it if a Class A is required. A lot of folks that use a HDT truck for their tow vehicle remove one of the diffs so they only have a single drive axle on the rear and they pull a large 5th wheel. Not sure how 8 mpg is efficient but I guess if you have the money. You'll probably get pulled into every weigh station that is open so expect a DOT inspection and those can get pretty pricey. Don't know if you can get around paying the $550 yearly road use tax. Expect higher insurance for it.. much higher than a 1 ton pickup. 2006 and newer you'll be adding DEF and have a diesel particulate filter. DEF is about as expensive as diesel per gallon and that filter needs cleaning out every so often which will set you back $300/$400. Special machine for that. If you have to replace it you'll be counting out about $1200. Tires are about $300 each (cheap Chinese ones like Double Coin) and even with one axle removed you'll be looking at $1800 or more for rubber all the way around. Rest stops typically only allow up to 24 hour parking and DOT Enforcement can come in anytime and beat on your door for an inspection. Ever have a semi towed? I was on the hook three times and the cheapest tow bill was $1200. I drove for 14 years and you couldn't convince me to get back in one even if you had a gun. Before you go that direction just be sure you know all the legalities of it. I've never converted a HDT for recreational use so I don't know the hoops you have to jump thru but be sure there will be hoops. Maybe you can eliminate some or most of the above concerns/issues.

Motrukdriver said:
 2006 and newer you'll be adding DEF and have a diesel particulate filter.  DEF is about as expensive as diesel per gallon 

DEF goes a LONG way. Around 100-250 miles per gallon, depending on a lot of factors. 

I had assumed the OP wanted to build a 'tiny house' that can be hauled by a truck when needed, but stationary most of the time. 

Class 8 HD RV's are a whole nother category and SpeedHighway hopefully will bring something to the table here.

It does not really fall under the 'CheapRV living' way of doing things, but can be done with lots and lots of dollar bills.

I have a good friend who part-times in one, and is selling his Freightliner 'toterhome' if the buyer can come up with 30 large. He is in Washington State and the unit has an automated manual and RV certification, so no CDL needed. 

I can put a serious buyer in touch with him if desired.

Motruckdriver brings up all the points and is spot on. Don't forget about log books and insurance. Have you considered a shipping container? A shipping container is just a box, doesn't even have to be registered, inspected or insured,,, and they are much stronger then a trailer. Then all the regulations would on the flatbed truck or hotshot driver.

Thanks for the input Motruckdriver, I really appreciate your experience and expertise in the matter. This is a project I'm undertaking once money is no longer an issue for me after a few years of working an computer science job out of a van, and I can work remotely. As for the shipping container, the reason I decided to go with the semi is that I'll own plenty of land before I do this, and being able to travel in a custom fabricated home that can go 70 mph just sounds fantastic. It's totally overkill and I wish to do it not so much for practicality, but for the enjoyment of such an engineering and fabrication project.

I didn't know about things like DEF, the DOT, etc, and it's good to know what I'm going up against. I definitely have my work cut out for me when/if I do this.

tx2sturgis has far more experience than I do so if I can't answer something about trucking you can bet he can. I'm sure he, like me, don't wanna kill your dreams... just wanna make sure you know what is out there. If you get over on the escapees forum there is a whole subsection on converting heavy duty trucks that might offer up even more pointers or how-to stuff.

Howdy All,

NEW member here, "tx2sturgis" got a hold of me and asked if I might offer an "OPINION" on this topic as I have been dragging my huge 45 foot long 22,000 pound toy hauler around the country for the last 4 years using a 2002 Freightliner Columbia tractor as a tow vehicle.  SORRY for what will be long post but its hard to condense this much information in a two word sound bite.

Having read through this thread there is some good information and some that is questionable at least.  First off there is a BIG difference between a Class 7-8 COMMERCIAL TRUCK and a class 7-8 commercial truck that has been LEGALLY converted to a RECREATIONAL VEHICLE.

In short it all depends on WHAT STATE YOU LIVE IN.  The only State that I know of and I could be wrong that will NOT allow the conversion of a commercial truck to an RV of some sort is Arizona, in the interest of sharing CORRECT information please correct me if I am wrong on this.  In all the other States there is a way of legally converting a large commercial truck to an RV, some States are EASY to do this in, others make it darned near impossible unless you are willing to jump through a lot of hoops.

As I am  new member I can't post any links or I would post links that would give ALL the information you could possibly ask for concerning how to convert a commercial truck to a LEGAL RV. I have a photo web site that details much of the work I have done to my Freightliner which is now for sale as I am now in the process of building a Peterbilt 379 as my next RV Hauler which will be capable of carrying a Smart Car behind the sleeper as it tows my toy hauler full of motorcycles.

Let me give you an example, in my home State of Washington, it is EASY to make a class 7-8 commercial truck into a legal "Motor Home".  Once this conversion has been made, YOU can drive this MOTOR HOME with a regular everyday normal drivers license.  NO CDL, NO ROAD TAX, NO MEDICAL CARD.  This is NOT true in every State but it IS true in many.  For my example I will stick to what I know and have personal experience with having converted TWO commercial trucks into motor homes in Washington State.  As with most things that are out of the norm, especially when dealing with a government bureaucrat when you inquire into doing this most will simply say "no you can't do that", this in most cases is not true but they don't have a clue of the forms needed or that it is even possible so rather then WORK they tell you it can't be done.

I know most of you who have read this far are darn near asleep by now so I'll cut this short and will do my best to answer any questions directed to me concerning this topic.  I have to have 10 posts before I can post links each question I answer will get me closer to that goal.  Here goes this is what it takes to convert a commercial truck in Washington to a RECREATIONAL VEHICLE.

Simply put the vehicle must be configured so that you can live in it.  This comes down to a few very simple things, you must have permanent sleeping quarters, you must have permanent means of cooking food, you must have a way of going to the toilet, there are few other things that are optional but NOT required such as shore power and a means to heat the living quarters WITHOUT THE VEHICLE ENGINE RUNNING, a wash station etc.

OK for the State of Washington, here is what is needed to fulfill the three main requirements, ONE a truck that has a decent size sleeper so you can have a bunk in it, TWO enough room to bolt in a microwave oven and THREE have in place a Port-a-potty.  That's it, anything else is OPTIONAL.  When it comes to the port-a-potty must folks gross out, the LAW does not REQUIRE you to go to the bathroom in your truck, it requires that you CAN.  I have a port-a-potty in my truck that has NEVER been used and NEVER will but it sits under the bunk and thus fulfills the State requirement.

Once you have "converted" your truck you supply the required documents downloadable from the State DMV, fill them out NO STATE INSPECTION REQUIRED, take the documents and your money to the local licensing place give them the documents and money take your plates and registration home install the plates on your MOTOR HOME and drive.

I get as good in most cases BETTER fuel mileage towing a trailer the size of my toy hauler with the HDT ( Heavy Duty Truck ) then I did with a pumped up Dodge one ton dually pickup truck that was working its arse off climbing the mountains and burning up the brakes going down the other side.  The HDT "motor home" is MUCH more comfortable to drive in all day long then ANY pickup truck.  You can buy or build a HDT "motor home" for less then half more like a third of the cost of a new pickup truck.  The HDT "motor home will not only pull the trailer but it will STOP it in a panic situation SAFELY.  I pay LESS to insure my HDT "motor home" then I did to insure the Dodge one ton.  I could go on and on but by now you should be starting to get the picture.

In closing, THIS IS NOT A VIABLE OPTION FOR MANY PEOPLE, then again for many such as myself its the only practical, economical, SAFE way to enjoy what I live to do.

Dave

My big truck was the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven. When the cab is air ride in the back and your seat is air ride and can slide forwards and backwards to take the shock out of the road, you can drive for hours on end and not feel worn out. My International Prostar had a 44" wide bunk, 80" long. Twin size sheets could barely fit but they did fit and it was very comfortable. I took the passenger seat out since I never had a passenger with me and put my big dorm fridge (4.3 cu ft) there with a microwave on top all bolted and strapped in. There was a time when I had a fleeting idea of taking the 5th wheel off the back, stretching the frame a little and installing a camper body on the frame. Very fleeting.... Like I wrote up there somewhere, it would take more than a gun to get me back inside of one of them today... hahaha

Mr. Cob, please get your 10 posts in so you can post your links or PM them to me and I will post them for you. highdesertranger

Sounds like a fun project.

Keep in mind sourcing insurance on DIY conversions can be problematic, but not impossible. Not having an RVIA certification on the finished build may prevent you from parking up long term at RV parks.

Having somewhere to park while your doing the conversion would be a plus. Trying to live out of it while you fit it out will be difficult.

Great post Mr. Cob. Thx for the details and well said.
So where do you park this rig when you are out and about or visit or boondock? Q1

tx2sturgis said:
I would scour the local auction sites (not ebay) for older refrigerated trailers. They already have good insulation.

Having worked with and on Reefer trailers, I'd say it is a bad option for any dwelling shell. First, your not exactly going to buy one anywhere near new, and once they are used, they are often an absolute mess.

Over time, the thousands of washouts, the chemicals used along with the constant thaw/freeze cycles are not an advantage to turning one into living quarters. Rust, Corrosion and sections of ineffective insulation are all part of a well used old reefer.

If it were me, I'd shoot for a drop deck moving van trailer. This will give you lower entry level possibilities as well as elevated rooms on each end. Being able to trim out the interior of an always DRY inside during it's life trailer will let you get better insulation practices in place than any reefer will ever have, as well as not be as heavy.

Let's not forget too, that the used reefer will have completely abused interior walls already in place. This means doing any appealing wiring impossible (unless your in love with surface conduit).

So, I get the "shivvvvvvers" just thinking about using a reefer when it is brought up. It sounds like it makes sense, bet I have never, ever seen a used reefer box of any kind that wasn't a beat up, banged up, water/ice logged mess. Pretty when new, but thats about it.

We have a member on here who posted about building an RV from a Peterbuilt....as I recall he removed one of the drive axles, extended the frame and then mounted a box. I remember his really cool use of toolbox drawers on the interior...that stuck in my head, but I can't seem to find his build website in my bookmarks. Anybody else remember that one? I think his user name had a 46 in it.

Minivanmotoman said:
Great post Mr. Cob. Thx for the details and well said.
So where do you park this rig when you are out and about or visit or boondock? Q1

Howdy Mini.........,

Finding a place to park such a rig is often times NOT easy.  Many of the older State camp grounds are not places I can stay, many of the older RV parks don't have sites long enough to accommodate my rig. When it comes to boondocking so far the only place I have done so is in the Moab Utah area LOTS of BLM land there that is accessible even with a rig like mine.  I have not yet had the Quartzite experience but am looking forward to it.

Over the years I have found many places usually a friend who has a place that I can park or who knows a place close to them that I can park while I am in the area, I have also researched and found many places that are "big rig friendly", call them, talk to them tell them what I have and what I require this works out well but that said whenever possible I look at the proposed site using Google Earth to see how its laid out, how sharp the corners are within the camp ground, tree cover etc.

The way I use my truck and trailer is as a "Base Camp".  I chose an area that I want to spend some time in, find a place to camp then using the Smart Car or one of many different motorcycles I carry with me explore the area then load the toys up and head out for a different destination.  And do it all over again.  In a couple of months I'll be 70 years old, my wife will in 6 months be 65, she is a school teacher and still working, for the last 4 years I have been spending a lot of time traveling the western States accompanied by my Service Dog Newt.  When Donna retires I will become a Snow Bird, we will then get to enjoy together what me and Newt, have been doing for a long time.  That said Donna is more of a home body so she won't be spending the time traveling that Newt and I will.

I was born with a need to know whats over the next mountain range or around the next corner and will be so till I am dead.  I attend motorcycle rallies, visit and ride with friends all over the west and just kinda wander, truth is I enjoy driving a big rig especially in the mountains, awful way to make a living but a wonderful way to spend your leisure years when don't have a set destination and the rest of your life to get there.

Dave