List of cities van dwellers should avoid?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkb2016

Reaction score
I have read a few threads with people having issues in certain areas/cities.

Not sure how widespread these issues are, but would it be helpful to have a list of places where you're likely to get hassled?

I may be moving around in the next few months and would like to stay out of trouble with the law!

My van is not stealthy. It's a Transit Connect with 3 panels on top of the roof, one on the hood and a Maxx Air fan also on the roof. So far, not any trouble where I'm at (although the solar panel on the hood was an addition that I only made today).

Nice!

Currently I am in a city where they do have an ordinance that definitely would mean van life is illegal ... but I haven't been hassled and have been here for about 5 weeks now (plus another month separated in to 2 week periods in March/April). Didn't realize that til I read their ordinances ... woops.

Do you have any data on which of those cities have been hassling people a lot or are doing some kind of crack down?

Do you have any data on which of those cities have been hassling people a lot or are doing some kind of crack down?

I generally limit the list to places where I can cite primary/secondary sources for the law. It's enough of a handful without juggling stories of individual travelers.

Like you, I have stayed in places with restrictions and had no problems. Arrive early, leave late, have a big rotation, etc.