Like minds that don't think I'm crazy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottnyht

Reaction score
I really don't have anyone in my circle of friends to bounce ideas off. It varies from: "ok, good for you, as long as you're happy." to looking at me like I have 2 heads, "you can't live like that" and everything in between. I can only run through ideas so far in my imagination before I hit a wall. Chatting here or in other avenues would be a welcome change. Even in person if you are close to Ocala FL. I'll buy coffee. LOL
Thanks in advance. Scott

(Er, hope that came across in the spirit it was intended. Anyway, welcome! Lots of good bouncing of ideas goes on here, and I'm sure yours will be a great addition.)

I had a friend back in school days who was studying to be a counselor. A Psych major who used to have this expression I liked. "We're all crazy, it's just a matter of whether it works for us or against us".

There are so many message boards dedicated to various subjects where people discuss their ideas with each other. You may meet many people on them living in remote areas without much human contact. It's just a matter of where your interest lie. But having others to talk with and interact with is healthier than isolation.

The cool part is that "crazy" is a great defining term that can be added into any phrase of any story...so make "crazy" your own way (which hopefully isn't a lonesome depressive state, and more along the lines of "crazy" in love!) the best you can each day. Even if it's just some friendly conversation on the internet because other people we may know who's definition of crazy seems to create barriers and separation among our own definition. But then again, the truly crazy are free, and not confined by such "definitions" so hopefully this vanlivingforum can just be a place to unload unwind and learn info. while relaxing away from other's ideas of "crazy" that can be burdensome for us to think about.

My entire life has been defined as crazy. It all started when I went on a backpacking trip into the High Sierras near Lake Tahoe. I climbed a mountain and loved it. So I decided to lean more about mountain climbing in order to be safe doing it. I went the route of learning rock climbing first. In that first year I told people that I knew that I was doing this and that. Every one of them informed me that I was crazy. So in that first year I learned that no matter what I do in the future it is a waste of time telling people what I was doing, about to do, or that I had already done. That was the moment I became a Nomad. It's in our own mind to be free. So I learned the very important lesson, that to do the things I want to do, I must ignore the people living out their lives on a couch in front of their TV's. First you must be free in your head. I know for a fact that the people that waste their lives doing the same repetitive trudge toward group think acceptance and expectation fulfilment for strangers are the true crazy people. There's just too many of them to tell. And they would only regret what they missed in their lives if you told them. So it is massively cruel to inform them that they are both crazy and will live to regret it too. I see no point in rubbing it in. They are happy in their blissful states of mediocrity. Their definition of normalness is demonstrated by their pathetic practice of living for thirty to forty years ahead in an imagined future that will be soft and easy. Never mind that their bodies will have let them down to the point that almost all of it is impossible. Yep, they are crazy.

Theres lots of jealousy out there and one sign of it is people telling you that you are crazy. To be rich is to have lots of money but to be wealthy is to have enough money and plenty of free time to enjoy it. The Nomad lifestyle can put a person closer to being wealthy than the 9 to 5 straigh days with week ends off lifestyyle. And that is where a lot of Nomads are accused of bein Cazy......and the jealousy starts.

If I actually took stock in what others thought, I would not be in a peaceful little corner of the world I'm in. The recharge capabilities are off the charts. I fully understand that the homesteading I have done is completely temporary. I could (don't want to) move tomorrow and have no regrets. Downsizing and staying portable has kept me real. When I get done writing this, I'll post a walk through of my spot. I know full well I won't be staying here till I die (though I could). Now comes the next step in my evolution. The astro van (not starting or even tagged yet) I'm in (my first) is good (with a few more modifications). I've been thinking of a longer, white, carpet/service van, more room. Or moving up to a small box van. I like nature too much to see myself in a Walmart parking lot. With that being said, maybe finding a small patch of wooded land to call my own. Or even a small shed (called gramppaw's workshop, wink wink). I like the fact that I have less bills to deal with at the moment. Having a small bit of land would mean no one could make me move. But that IS a big investment. Next: I have a motorcycle for transportation and an e-bike coming the end of the month. Do I really need to keep the motorcycle?

These are some of the things that go through my brain. I fully understand that everyone's circumstances is difficult and I'm not looking for a "2+2=4" answer. Sometimes I think so much about things, I can't see the forest for the trees. OK, I'm done. Walk through to come...

Well, if we're of "like minds", you ARE crazy.

But.... it's very hard for me to find people to just blabber with. I'm an old hippie, former stoner, and my mind wanders far afield. I live in an RV Park for now, and may end up stuck here until the "end of the day"... I find it really hard to find non-stoners to talk "shit" with.

Honestly, most of us who choose to leave the "corporate hamster-wheel" behind are NOT at the top of the bell-curve as far as human behavior goes. When I started on this odyssey I used to call us all "fringe dwellers"... we live on the fringes of society. Don't quite fit. A lot of us have some very unique perspectives.

So, move into an RV Park, which is almost like living in a suburban neighborhood at times, and guys like me end up talking to the dogs more than most humans. :) I don't mind that, it's just mostly one-sided.

Regards,

Pat