Lifelong dream

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

towhee

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to the forum but not to the dream.

(Now resisting the urge to get all autobiographical and long-winded on y'all).

It's a bit hard to see exactly how to introduce myself.

Short version:
New to van-dwelling, still tethered to home and family in Oregon, exploring to see where my muse takes me. I plan to be at RTR 2015. I am hoping to learn from those already doing it. I am anticipating a richness of experience at RTR. I have been reading the forums for quite a few years. I love how this community can absorb and appreciate so many different approaches to travel.

Myself- in a tan 91 dodge van with a 12 year old lab mix named Jennie. Nature lover, birder, appreciator of plants and sunsets.

Long version:
I guess I would say that an experience I had in my early 20s has been leading me into late middle age. At that time, I left the midwest with all my belongings in a VW superbeetle. I left the passenger seat behind and treated the bug as an rv. I camped my way west across the country, stopping to work in Yellowstone for 2 months. I ended up on the Olympic pennisula 6 months later.

During that brief time I had many vivid and life expanding experiences that easily come to mind. In contrast, there are entire years since then that I can hardly remember anything of.

That makes me wonder what I am doing with the one life that I have been given. I don't want to waste it.

I am hoping that in late middle age, I can still feel the wonder and bigness of the world. That seeking is what gets me out of my comfortable house and out on the road.

Looking forward to meeting you,

Towhee

PS the spotted towhee is a type of sparrow. I like them because they are around all year and they are quite conspicuous and loud.

Sounds a bit similar to my story. Took the passenger seat out on my Beetle, made a bed there, traveled for months around the US in my early twenties. Been vandwelling for almost a year. Based out of Salem Oregon but spending the winter in SoCal. Have fun in your travels. I hope you have the fun kind of adventures! :)

towhee said:
Myself- in a tan 91 dodge van with a 12 year old lab mix named Jennie. Nature lover, birder, appreciator of plants and sunsets.

During that brief time I had many vivid and life expanding experiences that easily come to mind. In contrast, there are entire years since then that I can hardly remember anything of.

That makes me wonder what I am doing with the one life that I have been given. I don't want to waste it.

towee, we're very glad you're here, it sounds like you were born to be a vandweller! I'm just like you, most years of my life are totally forgetable.

Not anymore!! Now every year is full of memories I treasure.

i can't wait to hear more of what you're doing!
Bob

Welcome! Glad to see another dweller getting ready for the road!

Welcome to the CRVL forums, towhee! It's definitely not too late to put the wonder back in your life. The RTR is a wonderful place to start. You'll form a network of lifelong friends that will only be a click away if you're in need of support or a laugh.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

This is the first year in five, I may not make it to the RTR. I'm counting on people like you to regale me with stories of what I missed.

Welcome, towhee! I thought you might be a birder, by your name. ;-)

towhee,

You are on the right track with your plan to attend the RTR at the beginning of your Adventure. You will meet many kindred spirits there - good, helpful, knowledgeable folks. You'll have a lot of fun too!

See you there!

Kim

Good luck on your adventure and hope to see you at the RTR!

Gotta chime in as another VW bug traveler. In the early 70s, we took the back seat out of our bug. Kelly made the backs of the front seats removable too, and put most of our stuff in a homemade cartop carrier. We crossed the US with his 2 year old daughter playing in the back seat... it was a different era then regarding seat belts. Once we returned her to her mother back east, we went to Mexico and drove out into the desert and slept anywhere we wanted to (different era there too!). We put the backs of the front seats outside the car to spread out and sleep. Great trip!