Legal to dump "composting" head output into garbage?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John61CT

Reaction score
I acknowledge these are not true composting toilets, more "separating toilets"

Legally the same as plain "bucket and bag" most likely, but if not, specifically looking at C-Head, Air Head, Nature's Head type commercial systems.

I believe there are strict laws about what you can dump into street water drains.

So, specific Q at hand is, if you take say a gallon or two of (yes only partially composted) mix of poo and cuir( rarely any unpleasant smell) of output, in a heavy securely closed up plastic bag, and put it in a dumpster,

where is doing that in and of itself illegal?

I personally have not heard of any location in the US where that is illegal. Infectious biohazard waste yes, but not poo.

Your expressions of distaste / disgust at the idea is OT here

Nor how expensive these commercial "separating toilets" are, nor suggestions about DIY setups just as good, etc all OT please.

Really the legal Q above is the topic, but positive helpful HowTo disposal tips and practical etiquette etc, would also be welcome.

I've actually taken to another method of disposal of the solid waste bucket in my C-Head.

I add water and pour it down either a sani-dump - I use one that doesn't have a line-up because you're not using a hose hook-up here and you don't want to gross out those waiting in line. I have found a couple of them where I travel regularly that are little used and out of sight of regular traffic so I make certain to schedule a stop there.

The other thing I do to dispose of the solid waste is to dump it down a pit toilet. In my travels, particularly in Canada I find them at out of the way rest areas on side highways etc. Again, I don't do it if there is a line up of people waiting to use the toilet just because I don't want them grossed out or questioning what I'm doing. The pit toilet is going to be pumped out by a septic company and the waste put through a treatment plant.

I don't like disposing of a bag of the solid waste in a dumpster because I've seen too many people dumpster diving, particularly in areas like Ehrenberg.  If I have to dispose of a bag of waste that way I take it directly to the transfer station or landfill site. But it's last choice on my list of disposal methods.

I don't consider that any different than a household disposing of baby or adult diapers.

Oh and you're right - there are strict laws about what can be dumped down street drains because those are usually hooked up to a storm drain system that does NOT go to the treatment plant.

Where else are you going to dispose of it?

You could dig a big cat hole (if in an ecologically appropriate place).
Pit toilets are another option.
Public composting sites won't take it.  
Dumping it down a toilet could be problematic (large volume, expanding when re-hydrated).  
Dumping it down an RV dump station hole would be difficult (carry a big funnel?).

Please, storm water drains are for storm water only!  No dumping anything in them.

It isn't illegal to put diapers in the trash. Those from babies and adults. Why should this be any different, except that you're not enclosing it in as much plastic and whatever else they put in there to absorb the contents.

I actually think it's great to have some quality organic matter going into the landfill along with the rest of the stuff that won't decompose for millennia.

But for feces anything that drains directly into waterways is a no-no. Storm drains usually take a different path than the sewers, and don't go through the treatment plant before going into local bodies of water. The bacteria in poop needs to be put into the ground in order to minimize the spread of disease.

Those who want to be considerate to freegan dumpster divers can use these

33e5cccf995ae132ea2f45350830878d.jpg

https://www.supplymylab.com/_resour...921d7-0afb-4381-8487-e5a0578f5aea.500.500.jpg

Almost There said:
The other thing I do to dispose of the solid waste is to dump it down a pit toilet. In my travels, particularly in Canada I find them at out of the way rest areas on side highways etc. Again, I don't do it if there is a line up of people waiting to use the toilet just because I don't want them grossed out or questioning what I'm doing. The pit toilet is going to be pumped out by a septic company and the waste put through a treatment plant.

Don't most pit toilets have rules that you shouldn't put anything in there other than pee, poop, and toilet paper? If someone has been mixing sawdust or coconut shred or whatnot into their poop in the "composting" toilet and then they dump that into the pit toilet, isn't there a huge chance that that will clog the septic truck when it tries to pump that out?

So, I think the most legal way to dispose of the contents of a "composting" toilet is to bag it and put it in a dumpster.

Coir and peat must be problems if you want to flush them through ordinary piping. When they dry they become very hard, coir especially, and when they get wet they expand a great deal. That doesn't sound like a good match for pipes.

Re putting stuff in dumpsters, I think that basically goes city by city, but I know it was against the law in many southern california cities. Heck some of them have locked dumpsters because of all the people swarming them to drop stuff off.

Sometimes I can hardly blame them, as not all apartments have enough dumpsters for tenant trash. The most vivid example I can remember is the post-Christmas dumpsters at an apartment building I lived in ... all the boxes and wrapping would stuff the dumpsters almost immediately and then be swamping the whole area around the dumpsters. Plenty of other times, I went down to the dumpsters a few days before trash pick-up an they were already full.

Please back that up, with links if possible, if you mean an actual law was passed specifically banning human waste disposal, placement in public trash cans.

The practical management of dumpster capacity in general is of course a separate issue.

One would think disposal of baby and adult diapers would need to be provided for.

That's the sort of specifics I'm looking for.

Remember I'm not talking about officials just talking or even arbitrarily takung action, but actually making it illegal.

Yes practical tips like this are fine, any "de facto" info welcome.

But the core topic of the thread (please) is the "de jure" purely legal question, more theoretical, not pertaining to accepted mores or actual enforcement.

I have looked into the legality of dumping poo into Dumpsters and haven't come up with much myself. When I was stationary for a while I was able to compost. Had a 50 gallon barrel with holes in the bottom and sides and it worked amazingly well. I composted my dog's poo as well. Even composted a gopher. It was like acid how the compost ate all that stuff up. Totally legal, too. Then I sprinkled the compost all over the yard. The sawdust that was left over disappeared by the next year. What a great way to legally get rid of poo.

Would be nice to have a formal composting system that partially replaced our current water toilet system or at least supplemented it. Like they do with the Christmas trees. Where I'm based out of, instead of throwing the trees in the landfill, Christmas trees are composted. Many times arborists have opportunities to dump their chips, branches, and wood in an area that is being reclaimed from mining damage or similar. It's free to dump there, it saves the arborists a bunch of money, and eases the impact on the landfills. I don't see that as being a real solution for our particular needs as the sites are always temporary and move around, but composting works when it is implemented.

Canine said:
Would be nice to have a formal composting system that partially replaced our current water toilet system or at least supplemented it.
Septic / perc tests are a fig leaf used for land-use regs to keep out the poors and support property values in many jurisdictions.

So very few actively allow humanure systems - google that for a great book.

Suing them under affordable housing basis would work, but expensive.

In any case OT for this "mobile use cases" thread.

Why would it be any different than dropping bagged doggy-doo or used diapers in the trash can?

Lenny, doggy-doo would be different because humans catch far fewer diseases from dogs than from humans. Diapers would be about the same, so dog dookie would be less of a bio hazard. Unless dog poo has a lot more germs in it. In that case there are fewer diseases that are contagious, but if the few that are zoonotic are rampant in dog poo, then it would be worse. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if dog doo is worse. ??

In any case, again I do **not** want to get into debates on the safety, morality, aesthetics etc. issues.

Main point:

1. Are you aware of any localities that (try to) ban the practice?

Allowed diversion:

2. how-to tips for those that are fine with it

Please start your own thread otherwise, it's Free!

CaravanCaravan said:
Don't most pit toilets have rules that you shouldn't put anything in there other than pee, poop, and toilet paper? If someone has been mixing sawdust or coconut shred or whatnot into their poop in the "composting" toilet and then they dump that into the pit toilet, isn't there a huge chance that that will clog the septic truck when it tries to pump that out?

So, I think the most legal way to dispose of the contents of a "composting" toilet is to bag it and put it in a dumpster.

I tried coir a long time ago and disliked it intensely - it was too hard for me to break down from the blocks it came in.

I use pine animal bed shavings and use it very sparingly at that. I've cut my use back from the initial usage as shown in the instructions by about 60% so I use very, very little of it. 

It's only purpose is to encapsulate the solid waste and to cover it up so that humans don't have to see it in the tank. I dump the tank once a month so there's really no more than a few cupfuls of it in there. When added to the liquid, solids and toilet paper in the tank, it's the least of the pump companies concerns. People throwing soda cans, large waste, diapers etc. down the pit toilets cause way more problems. Evidence of that was the problems the pump trucks had at the last RTR - Heck he even retrieved a cell phone when pumping.

hey I forgot all about the cell phone, did anybody claim it? talk about stinking robo calls, this brings it to a whole new level. highdesertranger

Yes, the cell phone was claimed.

Fortunately for the one running the Lost and Found - that would be me... :rolleyes:  - the pump guy put it in not one but 2 zip lock baggies before turning it in.

The owner had already made the trip to Blythe to get another phone before finding the yucky one but took the phone in the baggies anyways!

Status
Not open for further replies.