Leaphorn, Chee & Manuelito = Book Review

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeanmarie

Reaction score
Just about finished with Cave of Bones by Anne Hillerman. Disappointing. I wish she had left her father's characters alone and created some new ones. Tony's style was so different, to the point, The writing was tight and concise, so well suited to the stories. His daughter's style is loose, too many extraneous side trips and implausiblilities. The characters somehow seem out of character. Too much empty, aimless babbling, like it was padded out to reach the requisite number of words.

I guess it wasn't terrible, but it just did not live up to Tony's standards. I will probably take a pass if a new one comes out.

I listen to hers as they come into the library.
It would be tough to be close to Tony’s quality. They give out an award in his name and most (all?) of the winners pale.

What authors do you like better in the SW or native, even cowboy mystery area.

Am starting to listen to some Elmer Kelton(cowboy). They are easy to listen to.

Thanks for the review, I'm so far behind! I miss the PBS movies with Adam Beach and Wes Studi as well. They were a decent representation as far as movies go. I haven't read anything yet by his daughter. I already knew to not expect her fathers writing.

Not at all in the same type of mystery Southwest with a lot of natives featured but also mysteries based in the Southwest author J. A. Jance. She has two series based on of strong female characters, one a sheriff (in Bisbee) and the second a former news anchor (in Sedona) who was let go of her job in California for being slightly middle aged. Both entertaining reading, my male friend enjoys the ones about the sheriff character. She also has a series about a male police detective from Seattle, it too is good entertainment.

Margaret Coel Has a series located in Wyoming and of course the WY Longmire series by Craig Johnson, tho I thought his last book located in Mexico was terrible.

Recently did a search for the winners of the Tony Hillerman award and found some different authors to consider.

Nevada Barr has some books based in the southwest national parks as well.

Thanks for the review. I thought about ordering but just decided that no one could match Tony. Have you read Elizabeth Peters Amelia Peabody series? I read 13 of them and then started over and read them again.

Love T Hillerman! Thanks for the review of Anne. I haven't read hers yet, but She probably should have hired her own "cast" of characters. Also enjoy Craig Johnson, JA Jance. I sort of agree with your comment about Johnson's Mexico story, possibly because it described a world so alien to my own. It was more violent, too.