Lead acid batteries and fast charging

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 23166

Reaction score
So, I was just reading an article at battery university, it stated that lead acid batteries cannot be charged on a fast charger.

My setup will be 2- 225 lead acid batteries to start that I was going to connect directly to an IOTA or PowerMax converter charger and using shore power and generator to charge.

Does anyone know if this is an absolute truth?
Am I misunderstanding something?
Anyone have experience with lead acid batteries and fast chargers?

TY :)

Lead acid batteries accept a lot of charge at the start of the day and then have a long ‘tail’ where the acceptance is low.

Generators and fast chargers are good for that initial phase, but not for the end. A smaller solar panel and a generator is a pretty good setup.

You can probably run for awhile on a partial charge, but you want to watch that closely and get it fully charged every so often. People here say every week or two.

A good controller that shows the actual real time performance including actual solar power and the current acceptance rate of the battery is worth it just for that info.

With a bit more solar you can use that extra afternoon solar. I charge my laptop then, on my smaller system.

By not fast they mean 1/6 of the bank size. A 45-55A converter will give you roughly that.

I think when they are talking a fast charger, it is a single stage charger they are talking about. The Progressive Dynamics one will work just fine as it is a multistage charger, not a fast charger. Terminology becomes important.

it takes 6-8 hours to fully charge a depleted lead acid battery. no way around it. you can get the battery up to 80% pretty fast but that last 20% takes a long time. always undercharging(only getting the battery to 80%) will drastically shorten it's life. recharging everyday to 100% will get you the longest batty life. highdesertranger

B and C said:
I think when they are talking a fast charger, it is a single stage charger they are talking about.  The Progressive Dynamics one will work just fine as it is a multistage charger, not a fast charger.  Terminology becomes important.
But don't they come in different amp ranges?

All chargers come in different Amp ratings. It is the type of charger that that is important. A single stage fast charger will cook your batteries if not closely monitored and disconnected in time. Multistage chargers can be left on all the time.

Your battery manufacturer has the specifications for charging. Follow those.

Missed the charger you were looking at and got you confused with someone else, oops. That is the reason for the Progressive Dynamics line.

I treat the Monkey Ward 6/12 - 6 amp charger like a defibrillator, CLEAR !!

I treat the Samlex 1215-UL like a crock pot, Mmmm, smells good

Just my hang up

highdesertranger said:
it takes 6-8 hours to fully charge a depleted lead acid battery.  no way around it.  you can get the battery up to 80% pretty fast but that last 20% takes a long time.  always undercharging(only getting the battery to 80%) will drastically shorten it's life.  recharging everyday to 100% will get you the longest batty life.  highdesertranger
I didn't know that, thx HDR

regis101 said:
I treat the Monkey Ward 6/12 - 6 amp charger like a defibrillator, CLEAR !!

I treat the Samlex 1215-UL like a crock pot,  Mmmm, smells good

Just my hang up
:thumbsup:

For initial charging, I have been using inexpensive Chinese power supplies for about five years.  They have an adjustment for output voltage and thus, current. Flooded batteries.

No 120v input power cord, no output wiring provided.  Lightweight and easy to store.

For some applications, a clamp-on dc ammeter for reading output current readings.  On one, an analog dc ammeter in series for output amp readings.

So far, all of them adjust to about 14.6 volts dc maximum.  I've only experienced the 30 amp models.  No failures so far.

If on shore power, adjusted for about 14 volts or slightly less than maximum output (30 amps), when beginning charging in the morning, then looking for almost no current hours later has worked.  Also used simultaneously with solar charging.  Can be used with small generator.

Attention to output current when first connected is essential to prevent exceeding output amp ratings. A 12v  automatic reset circuit breaker matched to maximum amp output is a good idea. Almost completely dumb, and require attention.  Not for everyone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-DC-3A-...a=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Interesting take on charging. I can pick up what you're putting down.
Not for everyone, yes. But quite doable.
Thanks for sharing.