Late night radio..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AsphaltGypsy

Reaction score
I envision staying up late at night listening to a radio show...something to do with stars, aliens, out of this world topics, even about car/van dwelling. =)
Does anyone have favorite radio channels they listen to and if so, what does the channel consist of?
AG :cool:

AsphaltGypsy said:
I envision staying up late at night listening to a radio show...something to do with stars, aliens, out of this world topics, even about car/van dwelling.  =)
Does anyone have favorite radio channels they listen to and if so, what does the channel consist of?
AG   :cool:

Coast to Coast radio show. Range of topics from dreams to aliens. 

Does YouTube count?

If so, I routinely listen to old radio shows from the 40's like Sam Spade, Escape, Lights Out, Mystery Theater, "Richard Diamond - Private Detective" and X Minus 1.   :p

If you don't have Internet, you can always download them when you do and listen later.  They also have the option to view them in huge collection so you can listen all night long.  :cool:

As far as over-the-air radio stations go, it depends on where I am.  Some places still air the old time shows I listed above.  Hard to find, though.  

For regular radio at night, I usually just stick to classical and read a good book.

My new MP3 player died a quick death so I still drag out my 25 y.o. Walkman and check the dial. If I'm lucky I can find a station that plays Hearts of Space.

Lots of choices on Sirius/XM.....or if ya got an old AM radio:

[video=youtube]

Couldn't resist...   :D

My favorite radio station is my radio station of course... Cyberian Radio.  Got a whole heap of music jammin on it 24 hours a day.  Right now it's the Big Album Mix and easy streaming if you have the data.  If you are on a laptop then just click the link and go.  If you are on an android or apple device you'll need to download and install the puffin browser to bring in the playlist.

http://cyberianradio.com

https://www.puffinbrowser.com/

I remember a pirate radio station out of the Caribbean on short wave playing rock and roll. when I was in the boonies that is what we would listen to or we would listen to sports on Armed Forces Radio. alas those days are gone. short wave ain't what it used to be. highdesertranger

I wonder if there and radio programs available form Bill Mack the "Midnight Cowboy"?  I used to listen to him on WBAP out of FT Worth TX.  I met him late one night at the Knox Fuel Stop in Palmer TX where I worked the 6pm to 6am.

I'd been born and lived as a night owl most of my life however I saw some "Stuff" on that shift I hadn't seen before :D

Jewellann

Txjaybird said:
I wonder if there and radio programs available form Bill Mack the "Midnight Cowboy"?  I used to listen to him on WBAP out of FT Worth TX.  I met him late one night at the Knox Fuel Stop in Palmer TX where I worked the 6pm to 6am.

Bill Mack was born just east of me over in Shamrock Texas. He made the switch to XM many years ago and I used to listen to him almost daily on Willies Roadhouse and RoadDog channels on satellite.

highdesertranger said:
I remember a pirate radio station out of the Caribbean on short wave playing rock and roll.  when I was in the boonies that is what we would listen to or we would listen to sports on Armed Forces Radio. 

The Crystal Ship!

:cool:

highdesertranger said:
"...short wave ain't what it used to be." 

Amen to that!
When I was a wee lass would listen to re-runs of The Green Hornet, The Inner Sanctum & even Wolf Man,
when signal from TX strong enough. 
These days sometimes Coast2Coast, if guest/topic sufficiently interesting.  Art Bell still the best.
(Still those mystery number codes on short wave!)

:cool: Charlotte

AsphaltGypsy said:
I envision staying up late at night listening to a radio show...something to do with stars, aliens, out of this world topics, even about car/van dwelling.  =)
AG   :cool:

Compared to US News these days the BBC might meet your criteria, frequently available on the public end of the dial.

Here's an idea, how about a 'Rubber Tramp Radio' option on the internet and Sirius.  I'm tangentially involved in Community Radio here in SW Colorado and isn't a huge project.  I would definitely do a couple of hours a week of programming.

DLTooley said:
Here's an idea, how about a 'Rubber Tramp Radio' option on the internet and Sirius.  I'm tangentially involved in Community Radio here in SW Colorado and isn't a huge project.  I would definitely do a couple of hours a week of programming.

That sounds cool !! :D

There are TONS of interesting free podcasts that you can download and play back without going online. Also, if you spend $8. a month for Netflix and download TV shows and movies to watch when offline.  I just went on a cruise and did not want to pay for internet, but Netflix downloads kept me entertained late at night.