Larger hybrids with Prius's capabilities?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchanRV

Reaction score
I love the idea that the Prius can run its AC or heater all night long due to its unique hybrid design. Unfortunately, I doubt that I have the mobility to climb in and out of this low-slung vehicle. Are there are any larger hybrids (and/or hybrids with a taller driving position) that can do what the Prius does?

You might want to look on this forum under the Hybrid/Electric section. I believe there are some now on the market and some coming out but they are expensive!

Most RVs and DIY conversions can run a heater all night. Diesel, gas, and propane heaters don't use much electricity, and the fuel source is typically large enough to last multiple days.

Running an AC overnight is more challenging (read expensive) since it's fuel source is electricity. The cheapest way to accomplish this is using a gas generator. Investing $7k in a Li battery bank and a second alternator will accomplish the same thing.

Carefully consider whether this should be the defining characteristic of your vehicle. There are many vehicles better suited for living out of (part time or full time) than the limited space available in a Prius.

had a prius several years ago until a deer decided to play chicken with it. Now have a toyota camry hybrid, which I know probably isn't as large as what I think you're looking at, but I have taken several trips in it and have slept with the heater on when it was cold and the AC when it's hot. Works just like the Prius. I believe all hybrids work the same way. Gary