Large Fifth Wheel Recommendations (with kids!)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grayson Everett

Reaction score
We’re browsing 5th wheels looking by for something that rivals our Newmar in terms of features and capabilities with a high level of fit and finish. Needs less to say, it’s slim pickings, especially when we are looking for a floorplan to give the kids their own space.

Seems all of the high-end fit and finish manufacturers and model lines (Van Leigh, Redwood, Durango Gold, Luxe) hate bunks.

At the moment, we’re looking at the Vanleigh Pinecrest 392MB, Grand Design Solitude 3740BH, Grand Design Solitude 3950BH or the Jayco Northpoint 373BHOK. All of these floor plans have a separate space for the kids which is nice and seems to have a good fit and finish. If Vanleigh had a similar model on their Beacon line or Redwood had a 2-bedroom model, we would probably already be sold on one of those two.

Any other recommendations from anyone? Thanks.

Our kids always wanted to sleep outside in their tent which was a little simple to pitch pop up. We would put it up under the awning if it wasn’t windy but always next to the door to make it easy for them to come inside but they seldom did. When they did the little ones slept in a canvas type hammock that attached to hooks in the wall and our oldest had a fold out cot that was also attached to the wall on one side and angled braces which were hinged to the wall. When the little ones wanted privacy to play we made a door in the storage space under our bed and put pillows and battery powered lights in there for them. It is pretty easy to make bunk beds with curtains like are in a train Pullman car out of storage spaces if you can afford to give up the storage space. Once they are old enough get them a van or Prius and let them follow you. When I turned sixteen I followed my parents in their camper around sometimes in a dune buggy with my back pack and tent in the back. We would meet up at designated points once or twice a day, usually for meals back then but with modern cell phones it would be a breeze now days. They only had to come save me from the Mounties a couple times. What is really nice about the tent is they can meet and have new friends sleep over and it gives them a real sense of being independent.

Cheap is relative. Still costs wayyy more for a pretty good house.

Newmar made some 5th wheels but I’m not sure of the layouts. Used is better anyway. Even Newmar sold out to one of the big three now so I suspect quality will soon be