Keeping moonroof open for air overnight?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelaghc

Reaction score
I'm getting ready for a short roadtrip in my Nissa Hatchback - my first venture for trying out the life. 

Thinking of using the partial opening option of the moon/sunroof for air during the night. 
That way if it gets too cold or starts to rain, I can just adjust the interior sliding "door."

Any advice on this? Is it a questionable idea?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone knows of an option to keep bugs or other potential small intruders out? Is there a simple screen I can cover the moonroof with?

I don't mean leaving the window open all the way. There's an option for just tilting the window about an inch up literally for air when you're driving rather than opening it all the way. I've accidentally left it open in my driveway with no critters getting in.
Sort of like this.
https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/GqYAAMXQRPRTIlf4/$_4.JPG
But mine doesn't seem to open even that far.

A few magnets and a little bit of screen from the hardware store should do it. Don't get the metal screen and put it on the outside. That's what I do for my door windows to keep the skeeters out.

google your vehicle and see if you can buy an accessory geared for bug control right for that vehicle.

after that some magnets and super small screening like B and C said will work.

yea USE your moon roof access for air and heck, open all the way and stand if needed thru it LOL
it is there, use it all you can :)

Be sure you get no-see-um size screen mesh. Some places have those very tiny biting insects and they can fit through the openings in the most common size of window screens. I have found rolls of it at Lowes and Home Depot. But you can also order it by the yard from places such as Ebay or Seattle Fabrics or other sources that sell materials for making and repairing tents.

As your moon roof slides from the inside you would want to put the screen outside, up on the roof. It wont take long to put it in place and remove it before you drive. If you are not tall enough travel with a folding step stool.

Actually, my roof slides from the outside.

Great tip about the no-see-ums.

I got very fine mesh for free from a window company and hold it down with rocks.

Weather could be an issue. If it rains, that moonroof won't keep the water out. Rain guards for the windows are relatively easy to install and allow you to crack the windows for ventilation while still keeping the rain out.

Getting really good feedback from everyone.
Thanks so much!

I've found a couple of things to think about for the windows instead of the moonroof.

One's a little pricey with decent reviews.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XX3H5XL/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A22UAD6MINDFW&psc=1

The other is a little more affordable but has more chance of rain coming in overnight.
There's even a disclaimer about not using it in rainy weather.
https://smile.amazon.com/Windows-shadesox-Backseat-Window-Camping/dp/B07HYXZYMN/

Of course, I could just be drastically overthinking all of this.

It's in my nature.

Depends on where you are. The past few nights in the desert I've slept with doors, windows and roof vent open, because it was hot, no chance of rain, there are few bugs, and this particular area seems to be free of nocturnal animals—and humans.

MiamiC70 said:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q55Y9WC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mod edit,  the above link takes you to an Amazon magnetic screen that goes over the sun roof.  Please include a description of all links.

I purchased that very item last fall. I carefully measured the sunroof on my Honda Odyssey minivan, and the screen fits very well. I've used it when camping (not stealth camping) overnight - it was great to have the sunroof slid open for ventilation, and the screen not only kept bugs out, it caught some bits of leaf etc. that had fallen from the tree I was parked under. The screen folds up very small and slips into a bag. I'm happy with it.

MrNoodly said:
Depends on where you are. The past few nights in the desert I've slept with doors, windows and roof vent open, because it was hot, no chance of rain, there are few bugs, and this particular area seems to be free of nocturnal animals—and humans.

That sounds divine.  Did it cool off at night?
I sometimes wish folks would post a few pics of the places they describe.

You know what pictures are worth?  ;-)

I say don’t overthink it ?‍♂️ Roll of Home Depot screen is a few bucks with some magnets ? make sure your car is magnetic in a place that it will stick and always buy to many magnets cause you will loose some

Good habit I wish I did from the start was to count them when I put them up and take down so I know when I need to search the group for when a gust of wind hits ( had a gust rip off my rain guard and sent it ... to heaven perhaps ? lol

If ya have an issue ya can close em.. be it rain or bugs that are unexpected..

Also never park under a tree with them open unless you have a bird towel for when they send ya a gift ?

Wish someone made a larger size of this (I've got a Subaru Forester)
You could buy a piece of screen or small roll at a hardware store and some bar shaped magnets and make one. Just rem to remove it before driving 😁

For my Jeep, I made a full set of window screens (4 windows and the moon roof) just using Home Depot nylon screen. For the magnets, I used 1/2 in. Neodymium Rare-Earth magnet discs (also at HD) They're small and super strong. So strong that I have driven at highway speeds with the screens attached and they stay on. In fact, I routinely leave the roof screen in place for shorter trips.

I also took the time to sew the magnets onto the screen so I wouldn't loose them. Quick and easy to put them on and take them off. I sewed each magnet into a small pouch of screen and then sewed the pouch into position on the window screen. Four magnets for each of the two rear door windows, six magnets for the larger front windows and the moon roof.

Hmmm. I was just thinking about this for our van. When we lived in our Toyhauler, the back had these great screens that you could roll down and zip to make a door. Then you could roll it to the side to go in and out. Mojave desert, on our plot of land. 63EEE530-97B5-4241-AB72-A60F72DD3DCA.jpeg

I plan to do that also. The roof of my SUV is all fiberglass so I pinned no see um bug screen to the ceiling using jewelry display pins.