Keep your lights on at the side of the road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainChaser

Reaction score
Vehicles have been built so the driver doesn't have to think too much.  One of the things they do is turn off the lights when you leave it.   But sometimes, you DON'T want the lights off.

Picture what I saw:  Past midnight, pouring rain, black pickup apparently skidded and ended up crosswise on Interstate 5 across the right lane.  Driver wearing dark clothes, doing something on his knees beside the truck.  His lights had apparently turned off automatically, because I can't see even a WA dolt deliberately turning them off in that situation. He was virtually invisible.  

A big, heavy Chevy Suburban was coming straight at him in the same lane.

In bad visibility like fog or heavy rain, it is a good idea to turn the lights off while on the side of the road. People are looking for a pair of taillights to follow. By the time they get it figured out that your's are not moving, they have rear ended you.

In the fog you can have a 30 car pileup. Everybody following the taillights in front of them.

Emergency 4 way flashers.....come on all vehicles

poncho62 said:
Emergency 4 way flashers.....come on all vehicles

Problem is people will try to follow anything that they can see. Your best bet is to get far off the road and shut down all lights. I lived in California for many years. Each year the Valley Tulie fog would bring major car pileups. 
Some people drive with their flashers on. So are you following something that is moving, or something that is parked? If you are parked with your flashers on, is someone going to think that you are driving with them on?

You're not going to out-think every driver on the road. If you're on the side of the road, it's one thing. When you're crosswise in the road, they sure as 'ell ain't gonna be focused on your tail lights!

Yeah, his 4-way hazard lights should have been on regardless, so I guess that does make him a WA dolt.

Incidentally, the 4-ways on my van don't work...